SONY VR Headset Really...

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

SONY VR Headset Really...

Postposted on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Anyone heard whispers of Sony's upcoming VR device reveal?...

I suppose I shouldn't be offended that Sony appears to be cashing in on Oculus's marketing success in getting people excited about VR. I mean sure Sony has had "VR" head sets before, VR is in quotes because gamers who have been willing to pay to try them have been dis-pointed by a complete lack of immersion. Sony has failed to innovate in any meaningful way in technology that would improve the VR experience, ie addressing FOV, persistence, head tracking coupled with low latency, motion blur from rendering.

I really only see a few possible results for their VR reveal:

A) it really is better than the Oculus Rift orignal dev kit in every way, higher res, better persistence, better tracking, decent FOV, but it costs more and they blatantly stole concepts from OR infringing on patents.

B)They are just putting out another crap VR head set that has high res with a questionable FOV and so-so head tracking but people think this feels better than the Oculus Dev kit because the res doesn't suck.

I am leaning towards A and Sony has likely achieved slightly inferior solutions to the crystal cove mock up but possibly with a better display since they have better access to this tech... However coupling anything as good as Cyrstal Cove with the PS4 is unlikely because the PS4 cant handle the super high frame rate and high resolution required to avoid motion sickness and be visually appealing. Crystal Cove already feeds a 1kx1k image into each eye shooting for frame rates above 90 fps with a specialized refresh to avoid motion blur. PS4 can barely run current games at less than that resolution at 30 FPS.

If Sony is interested in VR why don't they join in the discussion with Valve, OR and game developers who have been doing great talks about the future of VR instead of trying to drum up **** support for a half hearted attempt to bring VR to a video game system that can't hack it.
Billstevens
Gerbil In Training
Gold subscriber

Re: SONY VR Headset Really...

Postposted on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Billstevens wrote:Anyone heard whispers of Sony's upcoming VR device reveal?...

Sure have, I posted about it at the time.

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91975
Khali
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:27 am

I have zero faith in Sony as a company. No way they have produced something good in so short a time. I am sure they have some great engineers down in the ranks but from what I have seen the last decade(s) the company as a whole has no culture of innovation at all.

One could hope that they have just tried their best to replicate the Oculus which wouldn't require any innovation from them, just buy a couple of DKs and give them to their engineers but my faith in Sony is too low to hope even for that. So my guess is it is a blatant money grab with a crap product, drawing on the hype Oculus has generated. I'd be glad to be proven wrong though, because VR is awesome.
ztrand
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Yea I agree and think this is more or less a money grab for Sony.

Let the real companies, the ones that still understand the meaning of the word "innovation", do there job and just stand back and shut up. When the dust settles if Sony still wants in, they can make an offer to buy a small VR company.

Sony is a stagnant dying company and when in home gaming moves beyond the standard console and PC platforms we have today, the Playstaion will vanish and Sony will be out of the gaming market, likely along with Microsoft. These companies have done jack **** for gaming innovation since the PlayStation and have just been cashing in on the natural evolution of gaming.
Billstevens
Gerbil In Training
Gold subscriber

Return to Gaming