Tchotchkes

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Tchotchkes

Postposted on Fri May 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Remember when games came with all sorts of "feelies" and assorted tchotchkes that helped immerse you in the product, and sometimes serve as copy-protection? Anybody have any favorites?

I liked the cloth maps that came with Ultima 7, the fake newsletters and correspondence courses that came with Sierra games, even the code wheels for Monkey Island.

I despised the copy protection for The Last Crusade. Had that damn red filter you had to hold up to a sheet to vaguely make out the code.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Re: Tchotchkes

Postposted on Fri May 16, 2014 7:14 pm

As a kid I had a game called Deep Space: Operation Copernicus for my Apple //c. It came with a "briefing packet" that included intelligence about the enemy, ship specs, and fake news stories & memoirs of allied pilots.

I didn't keep that; about the only such thing I still have is the manual for Aces of the Pacific, which is a wonder: about 300 pages of history, tactics, and information about the game's aircraft.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri May 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Oh how I miss cloth maps. I bought the collector's edition of Dragon Age:Origins specifically to get the cloth map. The game play content was just a bonus.

I remember the copy protection for Might and Magic V. In order to get in to one of the cities you had to input Word X on Line Y from Page Z in the manual. Of course, it only had a handful of words programmed so if you didn't have the book you would just retry until you got one of the words you memorized.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = Pontifex / PSN = Pontifex
David
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 16, 2014 8:09 pm

David wrote:Oh how I miss cloth maps. I bought the collector's edition of Dragon Age:Origins specifically to get the cloth map. The game play content was just a bonus.

I remember the copy protection for Might and Magic V. In order to get in to one of the cities you had to input Word X on Line Y from Page Z in the manual. Of course, it only had a handful of words programmed so if you didn't have the book you would just retry until you got one of the words you memorized.

They did that with the old Gold Box DnD games. They'd have these thick books that had dialog, story bits, and copy protection. It SUCKED to lose one of them.

I remember having a blast with Darkside of Xeen (and you needed that guide it came with), but I never got around to buying Clouds, let alone combine the two (that was a great idea, btw).

I think there was a map, and a book that came with Bard's Tale 2, but that's when I discovered I could use a hex editor to cheat my way to victory, so I didn't pay close attention.

I also had a side scrolling DnD game based on Dragonlance, I think? It was terrible, but it had some neat tchotchkes that my bro-in-law promptly stole.

Discworld 2 came with a random pewter figurine, like Rincewind or Death.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri May 16, 2014 10:52 pm

The games still come with physical items, but now only in "Collector's/Limited editions"... Most of these are extremely cheaply made worthless junk (like the Pip-Boy 3000 replica in certain overpriced edition of Fallout 3), some are pretty nice and worth buying (like the Titan statue that came with Titanfall) ;-)
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 16, 2014 10:58 pm

I remember playing one of the old Sim City games with a code book that we had to use to start the game.
alloyD
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat May 17, 2014 1:33 am

I miss games coming with manuals. It was a great way to set up the story and explain the controls without a damn tutorial at the start, and they frequently had great artwork in them. One of my all time favorites was the book for Starflight on the Genesis. It included a short story by Robert Silverberg written in the style of a captain's log.

Also, maps. One of my favorite things about Morrowind was the way they just gave you a paper map and no objective marker, and you had to figure out where you are, where to go, what to do, and how to get there. That was a lot more fun than being led around by the nose like most games seem to do these days
Melvar
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat May 17, 2014 11:14 am

JohnC wrote:The games still come with physical items, but now only in "Collector's/Limited editions"... Most of these are extremely cheaply made worthless junk (like the Pip-Boy 3000 replica in certain overpriced edition of Fallout 3), some are pretty nice and worth buying (like the Titan statue that came with Titanfall) ;-)

This is why I can't wait for 3D printing to become more refined and mainstream. Make my own dang Pip-Boy.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat May 17, 2014 1:40 pm

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:109716

(contractual corporate disclosure: I work for Makerbot's parent company, Stratasys Ltd., and do not speak on behalf of either company)
NovusBogus
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat May 17, 2014 3:35 pm

still got my Ultima Online cloth map from 1996

AMD Phenom2 X2 555 - 3.2GHz | unlocked X4 B55 3.6GHz | ASUS M4N75TD | 2x4GB Patriot DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 750Ti 2GB | Acer X223w | Seagate 1.5TB | 600W PSU |
SoM
Gerbil First Class

Return to Gaming