Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

METAL GEAR SOLID: GROUND ZEROES (SPOILER ALERT!)

Sat May 24, 2014 2:48 am

Hello folks. A week ago I decided to buy Metal Gear Solid: GROUND ZEROES (henceforth referred to as MGS:GZ) for my PS3 despite the somewhat negative opinions surrounding its short gameplay duration. People were going on and on about how Konami was milking their fanbase. So I start the game and it wants to update. ARRGHHH. After minutes and minutes of waiting, we get the show on the road. Or rather in the air. Big boss, our protagonist who looks more like a pirate clad in leather than a black ops agent, is sitting in a chopper. Let's start the mission, shall we? A nice cutscene plays with some cool song reminding me of Cuba, despite the fact that I have never been there and never heard any music originating from there. The nemesis exits on a chopper and we are treated to the view of Big Boss's butt for a few seconds (Hideo, you are so sick!). Anyway, the black bars above and below the cutscene disappear and what do you know? The cutscene wasn't CG animation. It was the FOX engine being used to good effect. Woah. Impressive. So now Big Boss is standing on a rocky hill overlooking an entire base bathed in rain and cool lighting at night. Definitely a sight to behold. No soliton radar here. Have to make do with an iDroid something that shows a map along with the locations of hostiles. Oh well. Will take getting used to. What's our mission? Get to the area in the East where the prisoner cages are and rescue a kid. Get spotted a few times. Run around and evade until the actual rescue. Get the kid to the landing zone for extraction. Get tasked with a new mission. Save the girl. OK. Where is she? No idea. Need to listen to a tape to figure it out. Fudge it. Let's just roam around. Oh wait. There's an armored vehicle going somewhere. Let's follow it. It goes past a heavily guarded gate. While sneaking around, we chance upon a drainage tunnel. Big Boss doesn't mind crawling through it. On to the other side, evade a security camera and down the stairs. Put a guard to sleep and find the girl in the next room. Now gotta carry her out for extraction. Easier said than done. Probably the hardest thing we have to do so far. Many retries later, the girl is safely extracted. We get on the chopper and the final cutscene plays. Get grade E for completing the mission. Yes. This was short. Maybe the naysayers were right after all. But hey, what's this? Only 6% complete??? Some side-ops unlocked. Let's try this one where we have to destroy gun emplacements. Woah. Big Boss at the same base, only in broad daylight. Definitely a sight to behold. On to the mission objective. Get to the first gun emplacement. Use it to decimate dozens of soldiers before the realization that this will go on forever. Let's destroy the damn emplacement. Good. Two to go. What's this? Overwhelmed by an infinite barrage of soldiers? Great. Better not to fight them. Destroy emplacement number one. Make a run for the 2nd one. Destroy it. Make a run for number three. Damn these soldiers are annoying! OK done. Oh great. Have to deal with an armored vehicle. How the hell am I supposed to do that? C4. Run around, find some C4. Get close to the armored vehicle. Try to plant C4 on it. Doesn't work. Die many many times. Until finally it hits me. Just put the C4 in the vehicle's path and BOOM! YESSSSSS. So satisfying to see it blown to smithereens. Time limit activated. Make a run for the landing zone again. Get extracted. Whole base gets bombed. This was more fun than the main mission. Grade D for mission completion. Getting better. 8% completed. What the? The game might be short but it makes up for it with some awesome visuals and great replayability. Was it worth $20? Damn right it was.