GRID Autosport - Driver's Club?

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

GRID Autosport - Driver's Club?

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:51 pm

Did anyone else pick this up today? It's not half bad actually, but I'm struggling to find racers online. So...

...We have the Friendly Drivers Club for GRID member sign up!

For those interested in playing GRID Autosport with a friendly group of racers, please feel free to swing on by my new club - Would be nice to have some like minded racers in it:
https://racenet.codemasters.com/grid-au ... 1337-gamer

Website's accompanying it too in the next few days at this address: http://www.geekl33tgamer.co.uk.
Twitter: @geekl33tgamer

See some of you gerbils on the track, hopefully... ;-)
Last edited by geekl33tgamer on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mega Beast - AMD FX-9590 [Stock...] | Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 | 16GB DDR3 | Tri-Fire XFX DD R9 290X | Sandisk X300S 512GB
Mini Beast - Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 [4.2 Ghz] | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 8GB DDR3 | KFA2 GTX 750 Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD
geekl33tgamer
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Re: GRID Autosport - Driver's Club?

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:25 pm

geekl33tgamer wrote:Did anyone else pick this up today? It's not half bad actually, but I'm struggling to find serious racers online. So...

...We have the Technical/Serious Drivers Club for GRID member sign up!

For those interested in playing GRID Autosport with a serious group of racers, please feel free to swing on by my new club - Would be nice to have some like minded racers in it:
https://racenet.codemasters.com/grid-au ... 1337-gamer

Website's accompanying it too in the next few days at this address: http://www.geekl33tgamer.co.uk.
Twitter: @geekl33tgamer

See some of you gerbils on the track, hopefully... ;-)

I have it, and I'm enjoying it, but I'm not a serious driver or anything. And I'm usually "that guy", who goes around the track backwards to cause the biggest pileup I can, so I probably shouldn't join.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:14 pm

I've fixed that for you - Seems it's not full-blown "race-sim" enough for my original idea. :wink:

The game's very addictive either way, and doesn't seem to stress my lowly Pc too much at Ultra and with the Texture Pack... Managed 11 hours already, and it only come out this morning here. :oops:
Mega Beast - AMD FX-9590 [Stock...] | Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 | 16GB DDR3 | Tri-Fire XFX DD R9 290X | Sandisk X300S 512GB
Mini Beast - Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 [4.2 Ghz] | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 8GB DDR3 | KFA2 GTX 750 Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD
geekl33tgamer
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:24 pm

geekl33tgamer wrote:I've fixed that for you - Seems it's not full-blown "race-sim" enough for my original idea. :wink:

The game's very addictive either way, and doesn't seem to stress my lowly Pc too much at Ultra and with the Texture Pack... Managed 11 hours already, and it only come out this morning here. :oops:

As long as it not too serious, I'll end up joining at some point. I had friends that tried to get me into Dayonta 4 and Online, but I got so bored, I had more fun crashing than trying to win. One friend literally had one of those $1000 F1 wheel/pedal setups, that how serious they took it.

I've got everything maxed out, and it runs smooth as silk @1080p 60fps, but I'm having some weird texture flashing problems with or without the HD pack. I tried playing with the settings, but none of that helped. I've got the latest 14.4 catalyst drivers (NOT the beta, though). There was an intel specific option in the graphic settings, but I thought that was for folks using the IGP, so I left it unchecked.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:39 pm

I'm not taking the online world too seriously in Autosport - Heck, I've literally just finished a round of bumper cars! :lol:

There's a couple of threads lurking on Steam about that flashing texture issue. Everyone seems to have Radeon hardware that's affected, and most use Crossfire? Think it needs AMD and Codies to do a bit of patching sadly. Those Intel specific graphics options made me laugh too - they only render on the IGP from the newest 13/5/7 CPU's. Apparently, my Nvidia GTX isn't good enough to render fog... :roll:
geekl33tgamer
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:44 pm

geekl33tgamer wrote:I'm not taking the online world too seriously in Autosport - Heck, I've literally just finished a round of bumper cars! :lol:

There's a couple of threads lurking on Steam about that flashing texture issue. Everyone seems to have Radeon hardware that's affected, and most use Crossfire? Think it needs AMD and Codies to do a bit of patching sadly. Those Intel specific graphics options made me laugh too - they only render on the IGP from the newest 13/5/7 CPU's. Apparently, my Nvidia GTX isn't good enough to render fog... :roll:

Well, at least I'm not the only one. Same thing happens with my GOG copy of Blazblue. I can play KoF 13, Super Street Fighter Arcade, and SF vs Tekken at 1080p w/ everything maxed out, and it's all smooth as butter. Blazblue barely tops 20fps in 800x600 (and the framerate varies wildly). Go figure.

And don't get me started on the "Gaming Evolved" app. I need to get off my butt and uninstall that POS.

*EDIT*

Looks like the 14.6RC2 driver came out a 3 days ago. Looks like a stable 14.6 driver should be released in the coming weeks. Now I play the waiting game.
Last edited by Hz so good on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:51 pm

geekl33tgamer wrote:I'm not taking the online world too seriously in Autosport - Heck, I've literally just finished a round of bumper cars! :lol:

I forgot to mention that bumper cars was my favorite way to play Virtua Racing and Daytona USA in the arcade. :)

The Indy car game by Papyrus that Creative used to bundle with Soundblaster cards is a close second. Driving the track backwards flat out, swerving to hit as many cars as possible would result in massive explosions of triangles that would bring my mighty 386 to its knees.

Man, I wish arcades would come back! So many fond memories...
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Hz so good wrote:I forgot to mention that bumper cars was my favorite way to play Virtua Racing and Daytona USA in the arcade. :)

The Indy car game by Papyrus that Creative used to bundle with Soundblaster cards is a close second. Driving the track backwards flat out, swerving to hit as many cars as possible would result in massive explosions of triangles that would bring my mighty 386 to its knees.

Man, I wish arcades would come back! So many fond memories...

Oh man, you just reminded me of one of the funnest multiplayer "games" ever. When I was a teenager I had Sega Rally for the Saturn, and after the regular game got boring we would play tag. Literally. One player was It, and the other player had to tag (hit) him. So simple, but when you've got friends in the room with you it's really great fun.

Back to the main topic, I have Autosport, so I may join you guys for some races if I can pry myself away from Borderlands 2 long enough.
Melvar
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Melvar wrote:
Oh man, you just reminded me of one of the funnest multiplayer "games" ever. When I was a teenager I had Sega Rally for the Saturn, and after the regular game got boring we would play tag. Literally. One player was It, and the other player had to tag (hit) him. So simple, but when you've got friends in the room with you it's really great fun.

That ridiculously serious buddy of mine I mentioned above? If you so much as scratched the paint on his car in Daytona USA, he'd go apoplectic. I became a giant game to our circle of friends. None of us gave a crap if we won, we just crashed into him with wild abandon, to watch him lose his crap ala John Cleese, right in the middle of the arcade. I was sooo much better than watching people lose their crap over MK2 and SF2 matches.

Back to the main topic, I have Autosport, so I may join you guys for some races if I can pry myself away from Borderlands 2 long enough.

Man, I had to quit BL2 cold turkey. Way too addictive.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:19 am

i have it but the game is way too arcadey for my liking
after many people saying the physics have improved over grid 2 i thought autosport might actually have decent physics but there really isnt any to be found, its pure arcade

back to assetto corsa and raceroom i go
f0d
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:56 am

I would be interested but since I have not used my 600+$ of act labs wheel pedals and shifter since 2006 or so I would not dare try and race with you guys with a gamepad. There is just not enough fine control using one over a real wheel. This means I have to break out my wheel ,test it. Then get my 2 sets of pro pedals test both and probably make one good set. My shifter I believe is a lost cause since I recall it has a flaky microswitch for 4th gear that during my sim racing career blew about 10 engines since I would be going down the strait away at 8-9k RPM's and it would pop into neutral way redlining my motor and popping it instantly.

I love clean racing and this talk of bumper cars is not inspiring. If you want to go around the track the wrong way and cause the biggest wreck possible then you do not belong on the track in multiplayer. Lots of people practice quite a bit to have there day ruined by a wrecker. I mean even when you have clean racers there are going to be incidents, crashes and accidents.

Ill have to check out this Grid Autosport and see if it it worth playing online.
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:29 am

vargis14 wrote:I love clean racing and this talk of bumper cars is not inspiring. If you want to go around the track the wrong way and cause the biggest wreck possible then you do not belong on the track in multiplayer. Lots of people practice quite a bit to have there day ruined by a wrecker. I mean even when you have clean racers there are going to be incidents, crashes and accidents.

Ill have to check out this Grid Autosport and see if it it worth playing online.

I prefer to race cleanly and fairly, but from my online playtime so far it's somewhat elusive. I've had a few games where everyone's kept it clean and fair, with the occasional accidental tap when you've either misjudge breaking ever so slightly into a corner or run wide and collected another racer in the process, but that's to be expected - lots of people are still learning it online and it's obvious. However, many races seem to be filled with players who don't know what brakes are for - They will slam cars off track at full speed into corners. For someone like me who will generally race fair, when your against people like that you don't stand a chance unless you fight fire with fire.

You'll get this in any racer online IMO, but it doesn't do to much to detract from what is an otherwise fun game to play.

f0d wrote:i have it but the game is way too arcadey for my liking
after many people saying the physics have improved over grid 2 I thought autosport might actually have decent physics but there really isn't any to be found, its pure arcade

back to assetto corsa and raceroom i go

The handling model is weird at first, as I was coming into it fresh from Project Cars and it took about an hour to get used to. I've never played Assetto Corsa but I guess it is going after a similar audience to Cars and the Gran Turismo crowd and is a different class of racing game. I never expected Autosport to be full-on simulator, and Codemasters haven't said so in as many words neither. They are careful enough to say it's more "sim-like" than GRID 2, to which I would agree. It actually feels very similar to Shift 2 Unleashed if anyone owned that from a few years ago. It sits somewhere between arcade and sim, but not at either extreme.

Still got no members in my race team either way though, lol. :lol:
geekl33tgamer
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:58 am

geekl33tgamer wrote:The handling model is weird at first, as I was coming into it fresh from Project Cars and it took about an hour to get used to. I've never played Assetto Corsa but I guess it is going after a similar audience to Cars and the Gran Turismo crowd and is a different class of racing game. I never expected Autosport to be full-on simulator, and Codemasters haven't said so in as many words neither. They are careful enough to say it's more "sim-like" than GRID 2, to which I would agree. It actually feels very similar to Shift 2 Unleashed if anyone owned that from a few years ago. It sits somewhere between arcade and sim, but not at either extreme.

Still got no members in my race team either way though, lol. :lol:

i actually find the physics model much worse than grid 2 and although i wasnt expecting a pure sim racer i was expecting more than a pure arcade racer - its not even in between sim and arcade (simcade) imo its pure pure arcade
both grid 2 and shift had much better physics than this junk imo

as you can probably tell i was not happy with grid autosport and it was complete waste of money on my part and i dont think i will ever touch it again
f0d
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Nah, the cars in GRID 2 were wayyyyyy to tail happy. You literally went everywhere sideways and didn't need to even touch the brakes on most tracks... :o Thankfully Autosport isn't like this.

Lot's of the people grumbling about the handling are using wheels, so perhaps it isn't very good? I use an Xbox 360 controller and I guess that limits the feedback somewhat. I've practiced a bit now, and have got used to the handling - It doesn't feel odd anymore - I think you got to stick with it a bit.

Most of the complains I've seen are to do with camera angles above anything else.
geekl33tgamer
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:02 am

For anybody that's been experiencing car texture/livery goofiness in the base game, the HD texture pack seems to resolve it.

I've been discussing this with people on another board, and we can't find a commonality. Radeon/nVidia/Stable vs Beta drivers, nothing that we can find in common.

/Just FYI
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Return to Gaming