Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

MrBerg
Gerbil
Topic Author

Head Tracking Question

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:37 pm

So I'm looking into getting something for head tracking soon, mainly for flight games. I've also been waiting for Star Citizen, and just picked up Elite Dangerous yesterday. Head tacking looks like it would greatly increase the game play especially in ED.

I'm a completely new when it comes to this stuff, I've looked at TrackIR a bit, but am a little confused. There seem to be 2 components, a camera to go on your monitor and something to clip to your headset, but I've seen a couple reviews where people say they don't use the 'clip pro' at all (I think the headset piece). So how does that work, and what exactly do you need? Also, is there anything better than TrackIR or are there even any other options?

If someone could explain it a bit and let me know if it's a good investment, that would be great. Eventually I want to get a real HOTAS flight stick and possibly rudder pedals.

Thanks!
An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men.
~Charles Darwin

MrBerg
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Head Tracking Question

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Never mind, spoke to a store. Apparently the TrackIR 5 comes with a reflective piece that just clips onto a hat. Supposed to work fine as long as there's no bright sunlight or anything. I don't wear hats so the clip pro would be needed to attach to my headset. It has active LEDs for the TrackIR to pick up. Anyways, don't need advice anymore, I searched around and most people seem to say it's extremely accurate and wouldn't think of going back to flying sims without it. So I bought one, It's a bit pricey, lets hope its worth it. Next step, HOTAS and pedals.
An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men.
~Charles Darwin

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Head Tracking Question

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Another reasonably pricey option would be to get an Occulus Rift DK2, its a development kit so not full retail product and you have to do a bit of configuration to get it running (for the most part its all straight forward).

This would give you the head tracking, and add full stereoscopic 3D for complete immersion... its $350 so not cheap, and eventually they will release an updated better version.. nobody knows how long that will be, and for most people the DK2 is already pretty good.

For the throttle consider a CH Pro Throttle, IMO it has the best balance of features, extemely reliable, but very ugly. Saitek x52 Pro and x55 also seem decent, but they the CH throttle includes an analogue stick on the throttle that can be quite useful. The type of stuff that is worth trying in person to see what you like and feels comfortable.