Stand Alone USB DAC and Phone

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Stand Alone USB DAC and Phone

Postposted on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 am

I have one of these on the way:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093KZWRE/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

It has a few very good reviews and at that price I can afford to take a chance. I bought it to tide me over as my computer has no sound card and the onboard is not nice. I need to get sound up for games mostly and my new monitor needs it as HDMI won't work on 2560x1600, well not on my cheapo Korean monitor anyway, Dual DVI only.

Anyway it appears it will also work on my Sony Experia Z Ultra. An interesting idea, I can take my nice cans and use my phone to pony up the tuneful bits, as well as front end another system. ;)
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Re: Stand Alone USB DAC and Phone

Postposted on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:03 am

This looks interesting! I have been looking for a smaller and simpler audio interface for travel. Please keep us posted.

Sometimes I travel with a MIDI controller or three and an old (bigger) USB interface. Most of the time I do not need "legacy MIDI" connectors or even a line/mic input (not when traveling for just a weekend or a few days). Just a decent quality, low latency headphone driver (using ASIO) is all I need. And thinner, smaller, lighter, less fussy, no power supply needed; these are all good features when it's time to repack my stuff after the TSA is done pawing, probing, and sniffing it. :x

Edit: Oops, I see now it needs a wall-wart. Too bad.
Last edited by BIF on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:07 am

That looks pretty nice. Let us know what you think of it!
Losergamer04
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:10 pm

BIF wrote:This looks interesting! I have been looking for a smaller and simpler audio interface for travel. Please keep us posted.

Sometimes I travel with a MIDI controller or three and an old (bigger) USB interface. Most of the time I do not need "legacy MIDI" connectors or even a line/mic input (not when traveling for just a weekend or a few days). Just a decent quality, low latency headphone driver (using ASIO) is all I need. And thinner, smaller, lighter, less fussy, no power supply needed; these are all good features when it's time to repack my stuff after the TSA is done pawing, probing, and sniffing it. :x

Edit: Oops, I see now it needs a wall-wart. Too bad.

Yeah a pity, although having a DAC hanging on the phone battery is not ideal either. It is a cheapy. ;)

With some 12 volt goodness it might make a nice car front end as well.
PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Wow. It's a pretty nice DAC. Got it running and the USB connection works well. Sound is much better that it has any right to be at anywhere near this price. Headphone jack mutes main audio and although you have to set volume from the system it works just fine.

A hell of a deal.

Edit: As well as acquiring a USB square to phone USB mini, I am going to get a Coax SPDIF cable, as the main guy who tested this thing, said SPDIF is audibly better.
PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Return to Mobile Tech