Which one should I pick? Updated details about new laptop!

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Which one should I pick? Updated details about new laptop!

Postposted on Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:13 pm

I recently began working for a small company doing adaptive software/hardware training and demos. Because I am on the road so much, I need a laptop to conduct business. They gave me a crappy 500 MHZ dell laptop that I have been using but i hate it so I decided to hit the State of Louisiana up for one through Louisiana Rehab Services since I am legally blind and my case is still in an "Open" status. I still have some usable sight just if anyone was curious. Read about my eye problem at this website if at all interested... http://www.brps.demon.co.uk/Graphics/G_RP.html

Here is my new laptop! Finally made a decision and I think it's a good one. :)

Order Detail
Inspiron 8600,Pentium M, 1.7GHz,15.4 in WSXGA+
1GB,DDR,333MHz,2 Dimms, Inspiron 8600
128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600PRO Turbo Video Card, Inspiron 8600
FREE 60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
65 Watt Power Adaptor,Inspiron8600
Floppy Drive for Inspiron 8600
Microsoft Windows XP Professional,Inspiron
Dell Application Back-up CD, With Tools,Inspiron,8600
Inspiron Tools CD
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem, Inspiron 8500
4X DVD+RW,INSP8600
Cyberlink Software Decoding for DVD Drives
Dell True Mobile 1400 Dual Band Internal (mini-PCI) WLAN
NETWORK ASSOCIATES MCAFEE.COM,OEM,ENGLISH, 90 DAY TRIAL,FACTORY INSTALLED
Dell Jukebox powered by Music Match
72Watt Primary Battery Inspiron 8500
Nylon Backpack Carrying Case, Inspiron
EARTHLINK TA2003 ISP
Dell/My Way Home Page
Broadband Icon for Inspiron
Dell Photo Album Standard
Real Network RealOne Player Basic,Version 6,US English
MS Worksuite 2003,CD with Documentation,OEM,US,English, Factory Install
3 Year Limited Warranty
Type 12- Mail-In Service, 24x7 Technical Support, Initial Year
Type 12- Mail-In Service, 24x7 Technical Support, 2 Year Extended
Soft Contracts - DHS Home Sales
Advanced Port Replicator for Inspiron 8500
Dell Media Experience for Inspiron Systems
$200.00 SPECIAL OFFER

Sub-Total $3,120.00
Shipping $0.00
Tax $0.00
Total Price $3,120.00

All discounts applied to this order are reflected in the subtotal, shipping, and total amounts
Last edited by deadzone on Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadzone
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:27 pm

I'd say Alienware or Sony was the cheapest. Anyway. That 3.2GHz will get hot and suck a lot of power. There was another thread about this somewhere else...
the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:49 pm

Thanks for that tip, found that thread talking about the cpu differences. Looks like Pentium M (Centrino) all the way for me.
deadzone
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:32 pm

Try Sager

I've heard good things about them.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = Pontifex / PSN = Pontifex
David
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:34 pm

After dragging a boat-anchor Dell Inspiron 5000 (predecessor to the 8000 series) around for a long time, I just stopped taking it. It was just too damned big and heavy.

I replaced it with a Dell 600m, and the difference is truly amazing. This computer is SO much better in every single way. It weighs about half as much, it lasts a LOT longer on a battery, actually doing stuff.

Yes the Penium M (Centrino) is the best processor Intel has released in a very long time. I wouldn't buy a laptop with anything else in it. If you're like me, this might be an interesting system. My criteria were: the smallest, lightest computer I can get that meets all my minimum performance goals: 1GB RAM minimum, PM, screen resolution 1280x1024 or higher, 3D video better than integrated Intel Extreme crap, a big hard drive. The 600m was the machine that fit, and I absolutely love it. I'd never go back to "desktop replacement" boat anchors ever again.

FWIW, there's nothing magical about Dell; this machine just fit my requirements the best. If I wanted highest build quality I probably would have gone with a Toshiba. But pre-built systems couldn't meet my goals.
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:10 am

Thanks for the replies guys! I still have not made a decision as of yet but I have narrowed it down to Dell, Alienware, and Sager. (thanks for that good link!)

I'm leaning towards a full-loaded Alienware right now as I can't stop thinking about those ass-kicking specs. Doesn't have the Pentium M though... Oh well. :)
deadzone
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:20 am

FWIW....Alienware is a Sager...same company makes them for both and the Sager is quite a bit cheaper :wink:

There was a comment on a thread recently about someone's father buying a 3.2 p4 and the darned thing wouldnt run above 2ghz...havent heard if it was ever RMA'd or not :-?
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:44 am

People, I have said it before and I will say it again. Just because the same company makes them does not even remotely imply that they are the same machines. Many restaurants buy their food products from Sysco, but they do not all serve the same dishes.

These laptop manufacturers make these machines to the specs of the client. Nothing guarantees that a Sager will be exactly like an Alienware, or any other laptop that OEM company makes. It would be nice if people would stop spreading this myth.
Last edited by Buub on Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:01 pm

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... .7.1.0.5.3

well it's an apple, but from my little use with their laptops, i their starting to grow on me

but it's not really any where near your radar screen, but i thought i'd throw it out non the less

i deffelently would take that configration
getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:45 am

Well, I have finally made up my mind! Sager is the winner! Ass-Kicking specs and lower pricing to boot! :)

3.2 P4 800mhz FSB with HT (Extreme Edition)
16inch UXGA screen
128mb ATI 9600 PRO graphics
1024 MB 400mhz Dual-Channel DDR ram
2x 60gb hard drives in Hardware 1 raid config
8x DVD/CD-RW combo drive
2x DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive
54MBPS 802.11g WIreless PCMCIA card
USB Port Replicator
Targus Backpack
Windows XP Professional
Standard black

$4001.79 Total Price

I'm pretty excited with this laptop although I will reserve judgement and such until I get it. :D

This thing is going to be heavy as hell and I am sure if I tell someone I have a fire down below while I happen to be using my laptop I will mean it literally! :)
deadzone
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:51 am

That ain't a real laptop... that's a power whore :o does it come with a nuclear generator? :D :roll:
no sig
muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Postposted on Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:24 am

Geh, noticed this topic too late. You should've considered the VoodooPC Envy M-855, which - asides from looking great - uses Athlon 64 3200+ Mobile, and reportedly has near the battery life of a Centrino. It doesn't have *quite* the insane specs of the Sager, but it's also much more practical for its intended purpose ie. taking it with you.

Pretty much maxed out (w/o external things/extended warranty, with a carrying case which you also have with the Sager):
The Voodoo M-Class M855 Athlon 64 Gamebook

Voodoo Disaster Recovery System II

Voodoo Koeskin System Binder

Voodoo Attack-Pad Mousing Surface

Voodoo Performance and Stability Re-Engineering

Free VoodooPC T-Shirt

IS09001:2000 Quality Control Standards

Autobahn White Pearl Allure for M855 Gamebook (you can choose from 8 colors)

Voodoo Envy M855 Chassis

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Cooling Compound

AMD Athlon 64 Processor Mobile 3200+

1024 Meg Low Latency Memory Kit

Envy Performance Motherboard

Voodoo Aggressor USA Keyboard

2X DVD Writer & 16X CD Re-Writer

80 GiG 5400 RPM HGST Travelstar

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro 64

15" TFT SXGA+ LCD Display

SoundBlaster Compatible 3D Audio

Internal 56K Fax Modem

Voodoo Envy G Wireless

North American Air Insured

Windows XP Professional

Voodoo Lithium Ion Rechargable Battery Pack

Retractable Laptop Ethernet Cable

Voodoo Slam Softshell Backpack

Standard Select Upgrade Assurance

Voodoo PlatinumCare 1 Year

The "Voodoo" Tattoo (there's 6 available graphics)

Price: $3735.21
Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively.
last.fm profile
Illissius
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:32 am

As the spainard mentioned....it will be power hungry...i would suggest an extra battery :wink:

Im sure you will like it..very nice looking setup...oh...and as long as the state is payin for it...would you order me one too :wink:
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:54 am

Buub wrote:After dragging a boat-anchor Dell Inspiron 5000 (predecessor to the 8000 series) around for a long time, I just stopped taking it. It was just too damned big and heavy.

I replaced it with a Dell 600m, and the difference is truly amazing. This computer is SO much better in every single way. It weighs about half as much, it lasts a LOT longer on a battery, actually doing stuff.

Yes the Penium M (Centrino) is the best processor Intel has released in a very long time. I wouldn't buy a laptop with anything else in it. If you're like me, this might be an interesting system. My criteria were: the smallest, lightest computer I can get that meets all my minimum performance goals: 1GB RAM minimum, PM, screen resolution 1280x1024 or higher, 3D video better than integrated Intel Extreme crap, a big hard drive. The 600m was the machine that fit, and I absolutely love it. I'd never go back to "desktop replacement" boat anchors ever again.

FWIW, there's nothing magical about Dell; this machine just fit my requirements the best. If I wanted highest build quality I probably would have gone with a Toshiba. But pre-built systems couldn't meet my goals.

Agreed i to have a 600m, and i havent turned on my desktop in ages. This thing rocks so much i dont know what i do without it. Only thing better is the 8600 (radeon 9600pro). Also any laptop you buy "now" without a p-m is a waste.... (its late but had to put in my .02)
"StarCraft 2 will release when it's ready." - Blizzard
Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:35 am

Nelliesboo wrote:
Buub wrote:After dragging a boat-anchor Dell Inspiron 5000 (predecessor to the 8000 series) around for a long time, I just stopped taking it. It was just too damned big and heavy.

Agreed i to have a 600m, and i havent turned on my desktop in ages. This thing rocks so much i dont know what i do without it. Only thing better is the 8600 (radeon 9600pro). Also any laptop you buy "now" without a p-m is a waste.... (its late but had to put in my .02)
Well, I guess this is another late reply. I definately would have gone with something more in line with what Nelliesboo and Buub are saying - until you tote a laptop around a bunch, you have no idea how nice it is to have a small, efficient laptop instead of a giant, power-sucking behemoth. "Desktop Replacement" category systems tend to be "small unobtrusive desktop I can take with me in a pinch" systems, while thin and light laptops are truly portable. Most people overspec their first laptop with attractive sounding performance parts, and/or skimp on price. For laptops, mobility is king - a computer's useless if you don't have it with you because it's too light. For most things laptops are usable for (of course, this is in my rather skewed opinion) raw performance really isn't an issue, beyone possibly hard drive speed. For laptop duty a super fast processor is unnecessary and, in the end, suboptimal, as you pay in battery life and heat. Efficiency and design are king - often a far slower, much more expensive machine an be the better option. The most prudent course of action to follow is something like Bubb did - think about what you need, performance and feature wise, then get one of the smallest, best designed systems that meets that minimum. On a desktop if you splurge on extra performance, all you lose is some cash - on a laptop you often get a machine worse for its main purpose. I've seen a Sagar very similar to what the original poster chose, and in all honesty you could not pay me to use it. I'd accept it as a gift only to turn around and sell it off to get something more useful in the real world.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:19 am

Bumpy for anyone interested. Thanks for all of the great information and opinions guys! :) See original post for new system.
deadzone
Gerbil

Return to Mobile Tech