Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

All bow before Sager.

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:00 am

I will be ordering this tomorrow..... http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/note ... d=80000859
:o

I may be a AMD fanboy but this lappy is too good to pass up. A friend of mine has it. WOW WOW WOW doesn't do it justice. S-Video and Coaxial inputs.

(Goes insane) Raid. Maybe even the P4EE...... :D

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:38 am

You couldn't pay me to use a 12 pound notebook. It's worthless for mobility - it's just a desktop in a slightly smaller package.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:49 am

mattsteg wrote:
You couldn't pay me to use a 12 pound notebook. It's worthless for mobility - it's just a desktop in a slightly smaller package.

The Weight depends on the configuration. It goes between 8 and 12 pounds. I am getting another battery and this is Perfect for Lan Party's and Portable video editing.

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:54 am

Same here. For that price you can get a real desktop PC or a real laptop. This thing will burn your pennis (literally) if you dare use it on your lap, and will be a killer for your back if you carry it on a daily basis.
no sig

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:56 am

GokuSS2 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

The Weight depends on the configuration. It goes between 8 and 12 pounds. I am getting another battery and this is Perfect for Lan Party's and Portable video editing.
That said, you *still* couldn't pay me to use it. Anything over maybe 4 pounds and an inch thick is too big for portability. 8 pounds is still unusable. For LANs you can get a cube with way more performance for much less. For mobile video editing, use a real workstation, or get a much more portable system without the excessive weight and power drain. Or just haul around the cube, it's about as portable. With a big laptop like that you get most of the limitations of a laptop, but few of the benefits.
Last edited by mattsteg on Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:59 am

You couldn't pay me to use an 8 pound laptop either. Had one once. Never again. I won't look at anything over 6 pounds travel weight, and that's pushing it. Under five is better. I don't want something that rips my shoulder off while changing planes, eats up its batteries before it gets to the other side of the country, or cooks my lap along the way.

For a nominally transportable desktop, this is fine. It's a great video workstation (just remember to lock it down). But it's not a laptop.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:17 am

Bah... That is way too heavy for a lappy in my opinion.

I have not personally had much experiance with Sager, but I had a friend order one, when he recieved it, it wouldn't even boot up. The package it came in looked fine, the box looked untouched, the case of the laptop looked perfect, just wouldnt boot. I couldn't get it to do anything. :roll:

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:40 pm

You couldnt pay me enough to carry that battery burning moster around with me :evil: I have a gateway m505xl . not quite as powerfull as the sager but alot more usefull if you ask me .

P4 3.2 ghz sure its faster than my pentium m 1.5 but eats batterys like its crazy

screen is nice 1600x1200 versus the gateways 1280x800 widscreen

memory 1 gig versus 512 . pesonally i have only ever found one thing that is faster with 1 gig of memeory than 512 thats battlefield 1942 . you can always upgrade the gateway

60 gig 7200 rpm versus 5400 . the 7200 is faster for sure but its going to eat more battery i would rather have the longer battery life .

floppy drive uggggg they are still making those things i guess its ok but a useless item for most people anymore

dvd writer same as the gateway has

modem and ethernet intergrated into both systems

windows xp home on the sager versus xp pro on the gateway . tie if you can tell the difference between xp home and pro your smarter than me :wink:

warranty 1 year on the sager 3 years on the gateway

free remote sounds cool probably use it to control dvds and stuff like that pretty good bonus

mp3 player module the gateway has a mp3 player built in also . there is a 2 gig partition on the hard drive that can be used for playing mp3's without booting the system up . gateways method uses the hard drive so its going to use more power , but it has alot more storage space pretty much a tie

the gateway has intergrated 802.11b its a 75 dollar add on for the sager

both have a radeon 9600 video card

the gateway is 6.7 pounds versus 8+ the weight to me is a moot point . if your to big of pansy ass to cary a 8 pound notebook or even a 12 pound notebook you better hit the weight room :P

battery life with one battery is( i am just guessing on this) around 2 hours i get 4.5 hours with mine .

the gateway has intergrated wireless ethernet a big big bonus if you travel very much like i do . alot of motels offer free wireless internet if you have wireless ethernet in your laptop .

so basically the gateway will do almost everything the sager will but has better battery life , intergrated wireless ethernet and costs over 600 dollars less

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:39 pm

Hance wrote:
windows xp home on the sager versus xp pro on the gateway . tie if you can tell the difference between xp home and pro your smarter than me :wink:
Domain networking and Dual processor support are the biggies.
Hance wrote:
the gateway is 6.7 pounds versus 8+ the weight to me is a moot point . if your to big of pansy ass to cary a 8 pound notebook or even a 12 pound notebook you better hit the weight room :P
The difference is between lugging a notebook and just happening to have it with you. Light enough notebooks you completely forget you're carrying until you need them. Also, when you're already lugging a big ol' bag full of books, every pound, and even more importantly, every inch makes a big difference. It's not about getting something you *can* carry around, it's about getting something you *want* to carry around, and won't notice.

As far as the mp3 function, that's what I have an iriver iHP-120 for. I don't really see much utility in an mp3 player the size of a laptop. The detachable mp3 player and the remote are the only really useful things of the Sager, and those are really just gimmicks.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:00 pm

mattsteg wrote:
Hance wrote:

The networking portition that is missing is huge. I couldn't do my job if I ran XP home. It's missing all the good stuff I need to manage and configure networks.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:06 pm

z-man wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
Hance wrote:

The networking portition that is missing is huge. I couldn't do my job if I ran XP home. It's missing all the good stuff I need to manage and configure networks.
The General idea is if you need XP Pro, you really need it. I couldn't exactly run my dually very well on XP Home either.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:09 pm

Let me put off a few myths......

1. The 7200 HD according to Hitachi uses the same amount of power as the 5400 drive due to some new tech. (Checked out some reviews and it appears they are right)

2. I had my friends Sager 8890 on my lap for 2 hours (not plugged in), not hot at all.

3.mattsteg same performance for less in a cube system OK but WAY more maybe with a 9800Pro.... plus I don't have to drag a monitor everywhere.

4. I use a laptop backpack and after high school and caring 14 pounds of books for four years this is light as a feather.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:33 pm

GokuSS2 wrote:
Let me put off a few myths......

1. The 7200 HD according to Hitachi uses the same amount of power as the 5400 drive due to some new tech. (Checked out some reviews and it appears they are right)
I've heard the same claim, and I don't really doubt it. It's a heck of a drive.
GokuSS2 wrote:
2. I had my friends Sager 8890 on my lap for 2 hours (not plugged in), not hot at all.

Impressive
GokuSS2 wrote:
3.mattsteg same performance for less in a cube system OK but WAY more maybe with a 9800Pro.... plus I don't have to drag a monitor everywhere.

If you say so, I just can't see hauling something like that any more than from one desk to another, and all the desks I have I could just leave a monitor at.
GokuSS2 wrote:
4. I use a laptop backpack and after high school and caring 14 pounds of books for four years this is light as a feather.
As long as you don't need to carry anything else, maybe. Kinda limits your capability to carry much more though, unless you wanna strap on a big ol' frame pack.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:43 pm

Here is a good review.

http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=6481

I will be getting the UXGA screen though. :D

NeRve
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:38 pm

What type of laptop would u guys suggest for college-use - including listening to music, watching movies, playing games, surfing the net, and taking it around? Would a Inspiron 8600 with a Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo fullfill this pattern and still be able to play Half-life? :-?

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:44 pm

Just getting a cube would be the best, IMO. You might want to wait until HL2 is released before making any purchasing decisions...

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:47 pm

That is one cool lookin laptop....when im in the market for one again...im really gonna give em a look...

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:22 pm

NeRve wrote:
What type of laptop would u guys suggest for college-use - including listening to music, watching movies, playing games, surfing the net, and taking it around? Would a Inspiron 8600 with a Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo fullfill this pattern and still be able to play Half-life? :-?
I've always been a proponent of separate desktop and mobile systems if possible. That way you get performance for cheap on the desktop, and the best of mobility in the laptop. For me, the 8600 would be a bit too bulky/heavy to really take with me - I strongly prefer sub 4-pound laptops. Thinner would be nicer too, especially when you want to pack it in a backpack along with a bunch of books. Also, Dell Inspirons don't have the greatest build quality around. If I went Dell I'd strongly consider Latitudes. Looking around for something that would suit you popped up with this link. There are some really nice looking all arounders there. The Voodoo Envy:460 looks especially promising as it's almost light enough for me :). It's not cheap though. If you absolutely have to game on your laptop, I'd consider that strongly. You could get a nice cube *and* a nice ultraportable laptop for the price though.

My philosophy with laptops is this - you're not going to get anything approaching price/performance competitiveness, but if you get something small it'll be useful even when it's "slow". There's a big role for mobile productivity, and all laptops eventually end up in that niche. That role is filled best by smaller laptops. Big laptops might game OK for a little while, but when they don't, you're stuck with an expensive and heavy piece of electronics that's not that great for core laptop duty.

Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:50 pm

I have the 600m and almost all the time i run it in low power mode (600mhz) unless i need to mutitask or something. I game from time to time but most times it only comes on at school. Even movie watching and music dont need more than 600mhz, but anyways more to the question at hand. The 8600 would be a pretty good fit i think because it has upgradeable video & cpu (Dothan's 2mb cache should be nice, not to mention new mobile video cards) but she is about 8 pounds and that will get old fast if you have to carry it with other books (even on your back) so if you need to save room i would say get the 8600, but if you can pick up the 600m and build a cheap gaming system.
"StarCraft 2 will release when it's ready." - Blizzard

deadzone
Gerbil

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:23 am

I just got the Inspiron 8600 about a week ago and I have to say, it's a seriously nice Laptop. Every game/movie/etc.. that I throw at it is handled with ease.

It's not as heavy as one would expect either weighing in at right at 7 pounds or so. Just make sure to opt for the free back back that Dell supplies with purchase as it is roomy and able to fit most anything you may need for school.

Anyway, as does with everyone, opinions differ so YMMV.

snapa
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:40 am

Holy Pocket Batman!

No really...you'll just end up with a hole in your pocket...and prob sevre ur johnson while you're at it...
Intel Core i7-860 | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 | Radeon HD 5750 | Mushkin 4GB | 2xWD 640GB RAID | Lian Li Lancool PC-K62

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:06 am

Well I didn't order it due to a expense that came up but next month I should be fine on money and I have decided I will order this instead.

http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=9961

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:49 am

Now youre talkkin..nice rig...very nice.

Ithkul_prime
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:55 pm

yeah captailism at work here. to convince people to buy a particlur product.
have you seen it

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:53 pm

heh...silly people...this is way more portable than my desktop...for what i use a laptop for is basically a desktop replacement when i'm on the road...this is perfect for someone with my job...i'd be all over it too...now if I can just get work to buy one...
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Xenolith
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:17 am

GokuSS2 wrote:
Well I didn't order it due to a expense that came up but next month I should be fine on money and I have decided I will order this instead.

http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=9961

The n8790 is out... I ordered it from pctorque.com. I should have it in a week or two.

Even though I own a Shuttle XPC "cube"... that's still not portable enough for me when I go to LAN parties. I took my current bulky laptop to a LAN party... that was much easier to set up compared to the Shuttle Cube. Even though I was able to fit the cube computer plus a 19" LCD monitor inside of a suitcase with wheels, it was still a pain to move around. The notebook took about 5 minutes to unpack and setup... the Shuttle about 15 minutes. Takes up half the space in your car when transporting. I could go on.

This is the way to go if you can afford it.

Update: n8790 specs and benchmarks

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:30 pm

I have a Dell 600m now. It's perfect for me. I would never buy anything as heavy as the big Inspirons, let alone this beast.

But if you're looking for a "protable desktop", maybe for lots of LAN gaming, then maybe a big heavy machine isn't a problem. If you carry it everyday, however, I wouldn't touch something this heavy even if you gave it to me free.