Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

What flash card for Axim X5?

Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:04 pm

I have a Dell Axim X5, and am undecided between which flash card to buy for it. I really have no preference on what format to buy, but the X5 can accept SD, MMC and CF formats. My requirements -

Most important: broadest compatibility between my PDA, digital camera and portable MP3 player. That way I can use one card for all three interchangeably.

The card MUST be able to store data in all the popular formats out there for music (MP3, wave, wma, etc), movies(mpg, avi, wma, realmedia, etc), and photos (jpg, gif, tiff, etc).

I want a 512 mb card (see below for reason why), and I see on pricewatch that all three are available in that capacity. A few dollars here and there is not a problem as long as I can get the broadest cross-platform compatibility.

On a semi-related note, anyone know how to convert (i.e. shrink down) DVD movies so that I can play/view on the PDA? I swear I saw a step-by-step walkthru in one of the major computer review pubs, but don't know which one and when the article appeared. I know the quality won't be the same, but anything to pass the time on that two-hour flight :wink:

Also, who makes good-quality flash cards - Lexar, SanDisk, Crucial, anyone else ?

Thanks in advance :D

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Solution!

Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:20 pm

Well, looks like I found a solution to one of me questions -

http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/231900-1.html

Now, which flash card to buy ...