Processor for Laptops

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Processor for Laptops

Postposted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:15 am

Got a question...

For all laptop owners, which processor powers ur laptop, Intel or AMD?

For all prospective buyers, which notebook would you choose? A Intel powered notebook or AMD powered notebook?

I myself will get a Intel powered notebook this summer since I think it is better. :wink: :wink:
DTShakuras
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:29 am

How are you defining "better?"

Pentium-M with Centrino appears to be very good technology for notebooks, providing decent performance and good battery life, but it is extremely expensive compared to other options.

Pentium 4 (especially the new Prescott core) appears to be very bad technology for notebooks, sucking power so greedily that batteries die quickly and disappating heat so quickly that you cannot use a "laptop" PC on your lap because it is too hot. The extreme cooling needed for the P4 can make notebooks rather noisy, as well.

Athlon64 appears to be much better technology for notebooks than Pentium4, since it uses less energy, disappates less heat, accomplishes more per clock cycle, and has more effective power management capabilities.

If my budget for a new notebook PC were limitless, I would select Centrino and Pentium-M in a thin-and-light configuration.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:46 am

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/re ... 19JRD03MTg

This A64 laptop DESTROYS a P4 3.06 GHz system.
GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:43 pm

I was defining a better laptop with excellent battery life coupled with good benchmarks and price.
DTShakuras
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:49 pm

DTShakuras wrote:I was defining a better laptop with excellent battery life coupled with good benchmarks and price.

Here is a quote from the link I posted above.

Pretty impressive results, really. At least 2 hours' worth of frenetic gaming is possible, most DVDs are watchable in a single sitting, and one can expect almost 4 hours from basic laptop usage. In contrast, the Dell Inspiron 5150 wasn't fond of modulating CPU speed when run in battery mode, and mobile performance was suitably poor.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:05 pm

Mine has an Athlon XP 2400+. Considering that the HDD's in those things are the real bottleneck I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with pretty much any processor (except for a Transmeta, of course).
Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant
like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?
ZooTech
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:09 pm

i am a confirmed AMD fanboy . i have 3 systems up and running all the time . build all amd systems for my friends .

guess what i have a centrino laptop . :-?

I have the gateway M505XL it has the following specs
pentium m 1.5
512 megs of ram
radeon 9600 video
40 gig hdd
dvd writer

I have no first hand experience with a athlon 64 laptop so i cant really comment on them . what i can do is say i think it would be pretty darn hard to top this gateway .

I get 4.5 hours of battery life just surfing the net and not pushing it . the only game i have really played on it is Need For Speed Underground . its a fairly demanding game as far as system specs go . i can run it for 2.5 hours non stop and still have battery life left .

i dont know what the amd will do as far as batter life goes but i would be its not as good as the centrino .

as far as cost goes it cost me around 2k but i think it was worth every penny of it.
Hance
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:16 pm

Hance wrote:i am a confirmed AMD fanboy . i have 3 systems up and running all the time . build all amd systems for my friends .

guess what i have a centrino laptop . :-?

I have the gateway M505XL it has the following specs
pentium m 1.5
512 megs of ram
radeon 9600 video
40 gig hdd
dvd writer

I have no first hand experience with a athlon 64 laptop so i cant really comment on them . what i can do is say i think it would be pretty darn hard to top this gateway .

I get 4.5 hours of battery life just surfing the net and not pushing it . the only game i have really played on it is Need For Speed Underground . its a fairly demanding game as far as system specs go . i can run it for 2.5 hours non stop and still have battery life left .

i dont know what the amd will do as far as batter life goes but i would be its not as good as the centrino .

as far as cost goes it cost me around 2k but i think it was worth every penny of it.

4 hours of Battery Life on a AMD Athlon 64 Model 3200+ (This is a Desktop chip in a Laptop) :wink: I Can't wait to see the moblie version.
GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:08 pm

How much is the laptops powered by Athlon 64 desktop chips?
DTShakuras
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:47 am

Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Return to Mobile Tech