Time for a new laptop?

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Postposted on Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:25 pm

JavaDog wrote:Ok, this is driving me nuts.

They both have a cetrino processor

There is NO SUCH THING. :evil: Centrino is a marketing term for a Spec that Intel put out. Anyone can call their laptop a 'Centrino' if it meets these requirements:

1) It must use a Intel Pentium M CPU.
2) Must use an Intel 855 Chipset.
3) Must use an Intel 802.11B Wi-Fi chipset.

No matter who (Mfg) you are, you meet those specs, you can put the Centrino sticker on your laptop.

Sorry, I just had to clear that up. :wink:

I agree, but centrino has an integrated wireless chipset..... Which is MUCH better than buying a wireless card. They would dramatically reduce battery life.

btw, the LG hasn't got many reviews, but it's a very nice little machine, with a monster screen for the size :D .

The reason why they don't have many reviews is because it's been just released. So ur getting an extra new lappy :D

If I get some time, i'll find some reviews for u. There are many LGs in Australia.. and have the best priced notebooks here. They sell for 1000 dollars less than retail... yay :)
Shake it to the limit!
PING
YBK
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:53 pm

Looking for Knowledge wrote:Well, I bought the Sager....Got it here, started it folding, etc. The 17+ inch screen was beautiful! 3.4 @ 800fsb was nice too. (though no overclocking options in the bios made me a bit grumpy)....The weight, as I mentioned earlier, wasn't a concern for me.

What I didn't like, however, and I ended up sending it back because of it, was the heat. I've come to the conclusion that 3.4c's just aren't ment for laptops with limited cooling options. It didn't complete and WU's in the 4 days I had it....kept restarting while gaming, etc....

Lucky for me I had a 30 day money back guarentee.

My next trial......is a Dell 8600. Yes, I know, it will be my first Dell.....but the price was right (with the 30% off coupon a frind provided me with)

Dothan 2.0, 1gb ram, 15.4" WSXGA+, 7200rpm hdd and a 128mb ATI mobile 9600 card. Should do my fine, and sounds a lot like the LG. Almost half the weight, advertised as 4+ hours on the battery, a/b/g/ wireless, etc.....

We'll see.....it has a money back gaurentee too. :D

I got the Sager 8790 as well. I had no heat problems like you did though but for the heck of it put on AC5 and lapped the heatsink (Didn't void the Warrenty). It stays at 47C under full load and 37 idle. IMHO it is the most powerful desktop replacement currently available with THE most beautiful screen I have seen besides the apple cinema displays.
GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:35 pm

GokuSS2 wrote:IMHO it is the most powerful desktop replacement currently available with THE most beautiful screen I have seen besides the apple cinema displays.

I agree with you completely one this opinion! Are you running f@h on it? I didn't have any problems using it under normal operations but once I started folding on it 24/7 the heat became an issue. :(
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر
Looking for Knowledge
Emperor Gerbilius I
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:42 pm

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
GokuSS2 wrote:IMHO it is the most powerful desktop replacement currently available with THE most beautiful screen I have seen besides the apple cinema displays.

I agree with you completely one this opinion! Are you running f@h on it? I didn't have any problems using it under normal operations but once I started folding on it 24/7 the heat became an issue. :(

Not yet but I ran prime 95 on it for 18 hours and no problems. I didn't but it IBuyPower ( i have heard 2 horror story's from friends about their laptops quality control. (IE lemons) I bought mine from http://pctorque.com/8790.php and they have thier own laptop forum. http://notebookforums.com/
GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:01 pm

GokuSS2 wrote: I bought mine from http://pctorque.com/8790.php and they have thier own laptop forum. http://notebookforums.com/

Yea, I frequent that forum too.....They look like a decent company to do business with. For the record ibuypower refunded my money, completely, without any problem. They have a good 30 day money back guarentee policy, IMO.
Looking for Knowledge
Emperor Gerbilius I
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:02 am

So, what happened to the shipping, hope everything worked out for ya.

Did you like the lappy... :)

btw here are some cool pics i found :)

http://www.mobilepc.ru/gallery/LGLM50/
Shake it to the limit!
PING
YBK

Postposted on Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:43 am

Could that site have tried to leave any more cookies on me? One from somthing called spylog too. Nice unless I have this mistaken for something else.
atryus28
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:10 am

whats wrong with dell ... i always see people bagging them out. ive got an dell 8600 C1.4 and its great !
P4 2.8C | ASUS P4C800 Deluxe | Sapphire 256mb R9800XT | 2x512MB Corsair XMS3200 | 160GB WD HDD SATA | Audigy DE | Antec AMG1080 Case | Antec 430w TruePower | WinXP Pro
jgibson_2k
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:11 pm

atryus28 wrote:Could that site have tried to leave any more cookies on me? One from somthing called spylog too. Nice unless I have this mistaken for something else.

http://www.mobilepc.ru/gallery/LGLM50/114_12107.jpg
If that's what ur looking at, then ur looking at the right thing. :wink:
Shake it to the limit!
PING
YBK

Postposted on Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:12 pm

jgibson_2k wrote:whats wrong with dell ... i always see people bagging them out. ive got an dell 8600 C1.4 and its great !

They're better for laptops.

People bag out dell for their pathetic expensive desktops.
Shake it to the limit!
PING
YBK

Postposted on Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:34 pm

YBK wrote:So, what happened to the shipping, hope everything worked out for ya.

All I can say is that I LOVE THIS LAPTOP! It complets 3 (yes 3) WUs a day, it's super quiet, relativly light, has incredible battery life, an ATI 128mb video card, wide screen.......dang......I'm not even sitting at my main machine anymore (Gigabyte p875 mobo, 2.4 oc'd to 3.2, 9800 aiw pro, etc, etc.....)

I can take this out back, to the gym (it has an access point there now), upstairs (no need for my shuttle anymore),...... :-?

Guess I'm enjoying it too much. What can I say? I'm in love..... :o

As a side note: The big Clevo 17" 3.4 I returned to ibuypower.com......Well, they're trying to charge me for items I NEVER RECEIVED in the original shipping. (Stay away from them, that's my advice)
Looking for Knowledge
Emperor Gerbilius I
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:17 pm

Thats gotta suck...but as long as you have your receipts you should be fine...damn...just bullshat again..pffffffffft
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:18 pm

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
YBK wrote:So, what happened to the shipping, hope everything worked out for ya.

All I can say is that I LOVE THIS LAPTOP! It complets 3 (yes 3) WUs a day, it's super quiet, relativly light, has incredible battery life, an ATI 128mb video card, wide screen.......dang......I'm not even sitting at my main machine anymore (Gigabyte p875 mobo, 2.4 oc'd to 3.2, 9800 aiw pro, etc, etc.....)

I can take this out back, to the gym (it has an access point there now), upstairs (no need for my shuttle anymore),...... :-?

Guess I'm enjoying it too much. What can I say? I'm in love..... :o

As a side note: The big Clevo 17" 3.4 I returned to ibuypower.com......Well, they're trying to charge me for items I NEVER RECEIVED in the original shipping. (Stay away from them, that's my advice)

Cool, congrats m8 :wink:
Shake it to the limit!
PING
YBK

Previous

Return to Mobile Tech