Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wireless PDA Functionality/Standards

Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:44 am

I'm looking at getting a PDA, probably a MyPal A620, maybe the BT... I'd like to be able to get it online to surf around a bit as well as hook it up to my wired home network (wirelessly) in addition to syncing it, transfering files and even streaming video to it from my Beyond TV 3 powered HTPC.

So, am I better off with 802.11b or Bluetooth? Or do I need both standards to get all that functionality...?

If I go bluetooth I'd get the A620BT and a USB Bluetooth adapter with good range. If I go 802.11b I'd get the standard A620 w/ a compact flash adapter and an access point to plug into my network. Does that sound about right? I'm leaning towards 802.11b, but hoping Bluetooth will do it all to save some cash...

I'm new to the mobile/wireless arena, so any advice would be helpful.

adholicus
Gerbil

Re: Wireless PDA Functionality/Standards

Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:03 am

drfish wrote:
I'm looking at getting a PDA, probably a MyPal A620, maybe the BT... I'd like to be able to get it online to surf around a bit as well as hook it up to my wired home network (wirelessly) in addition to syncing it, transfering files and even streaming video to it from my Beyond TV 3 powered HTPC.

So, am I better off with 802.11b or Bluetooth? Or do I need both standards to get all that functionality...?

If I go bluetooth I'd get the A620BT and a USB Bluetooth adapter with good range. If I go 802.11b I'd get the standard A620 w/ a compact flash adapter and an access point to plug into my network. Does that sound about right? I'm leaning towards 802.11b, but hoping Bluetooth will do it all to save some cash...

I'm new to the mobile/wireless arena, so any advice would be helpful.

I have a pda and all I can say is that there aren't any good sites to surf online with the pda. I read some where that bluetooth's maxes out at 721kbps. Can anyone confirm this? If so then you won't be watching anything from your HTPC.
Zithromax?

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:11 pm

I don't know about the bandwidth numbers, but Bluetooth was never designed to handle streaming video. It's just not built to do that.