Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:58 am

Well, centrino's are usally in pretty light and thin packages, which is more than you can say for athlons. I'm not bagging out the athlons, it's just that PMs are usually in "sexier" cases..... ummm.. how heavy is that athlon u got? How thin is it? i If it's thin and light, than that would be cool.

Agreed, but you pay the premium. In my case, we were just looking for the best bang for the buck. Weight and appearance were secondary.

Don't get me wrong. I would pick a Centrino in a heartbeat for the kind of stuff that I use laptops for. It's just that budgets don't always permit that kind of luxury.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Draal
Gerbil First Class

Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:34 am

You see more desktop AMD CPU's in laptops than you see thier own Mobile counterparts (just off the top of my head, I'd say this has more to do with price than how many companies have started to package AMD cpus).

AMD is almost always on the budget side, and although your looking at great speed and usually decent build quality (because Sony and others don't deal with them) - battery life, weight, and everything else is usually affected.

You have more choice with Intel parts, especially considering that every Taiwanese maker ships them out en masse in every style you could imagine. Go for the Pentium M if you do, its more expensive, but battery life and heat are major factors.

Of course.. If your looking for a light notebook and don't mind trying something new...

http://www.sub300.com/port.htm

Yup.. Good ol' VIA, and Savage 3000 Graphics. Eh.. Its not like you'll be using it to play games anyway. Cheap, light, and decent for what you'll be using it for (only bad side is that I have never seen it in person nor a review of it, so there are quite a few unknowns going on).

Its best to consider battery life and performance in basic applications before anything else.

If you go for a gaming laptop, your looking at a year at most if you want to stay on the bleeding edge (and you'll soon realize that the battery life is horrible), but a light notebook won't seem archaic, and will still be usable on a performance level in four years (well.. Unless Microsoft makes Word anymore heavier.. Of course there is OpenOffice and AbiWord so.. Eh..).

InstantNoodles
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Laptop w/ AMD processor: wise choice?

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:03 am

videobruce wrote:
I'm looking at a HP Laptop w/ a AMD processor. The only choices I see are:
HP
Compaq
E-Machines
Avertec (sp?)
I REALLY don't want a Wintel model UNLESS someone can come up with a very valid reason(s) that the mobile AMD's are either problem prone or something along those lines. I don't want to get into a AMD vs Wintel discussion here.

I understand that AMD has had a long history of having a higher current draw and running hotter (goes hand in hand). I can probably live with that since I don't travel and this isn't for any business purposes.

I was just concerned since AMD is the newer player to the mobile market if there was any indication of outstanding problems.

Office Depot has a HP zv5000z series with $300 in rebates for the next couple of days that you configure at the store and they ship it to you (you pay shipping).

Input? Thanks...............

can someone link me to this laptop?
3.0ghz P4 HT Northwood @ 800mhz FSB
1 GB Dual Channel Ultra Low Latency @ 400mhz
128mb 9800SE 256bit ATI
20GB Western Digital 7200RPM
80GB Maxtor 5600RPM

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:29 am

I don't see the point of you guys trashing the desktop replacements. Sure, you guys may not find any usefulness in them, but isn't there the slightest chance at all that there ARE people out there that have a use for these things? Why else would all these companies manufacture these desktop replacements if there isn't a market for them? Someone out there in the world is obvously paying for these things, despite the fact you find them 'useless'.

Draal
Gerbil First Class

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:39 am

If you were a dead horse, how would you feel if I kicked you?

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:48 am

Draal wrote:
If you were a dead horse, how would you feel if I kicked you?

If that's something you like to do on your spare time, then by all means. It's a free country.

Orion
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:14 am

I just bought an Averatec Tablet PC / Notebook (the C3500). It has the AMD 2200-M processor and has 512MB DDR, DVD/CDRW, 80GB HD, and is only 5.5 pounds. I'm really liking it so far (I've had it for 3 days). Just it as a notebook it seems really great, and the tech support is really good too (I called about a chipset question), add on top the fact you can do all the tablet stuff and it's really great.

Oh, and I bought it from Costco, who has a 6 month return policy on all computers, so if in six months I'm not happy I don't loose a dime.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:51 am

Oh, and I bought it from Costco, who has a 6 month return policy on all computers, so if in six months I'm not happy I don't loose a dime.

So you could basically upgrade your computer for free every six months? Sweet deal. :wink:
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

YBK
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:56 am

eckslax wrote:

So you could basically upgrade your computer for free every six months? Sweet deal. :wink:

WOW.. that's soooo kewl !!! :D
Shake it to the limit!
PING

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Laptop w/ AMD processor: wise choice?

Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:52 am

InstantNoodles wrote:

can someone link me to this laptop?
It was a 3 day special.

BTW, it was a custom order shipped direct from China! You aren't missing anything. Look at the thread regarding the Pavilion.............