Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

paco
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Gateway w/ AMD 64?

Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:07 pm

I was at Costco and I saw a Gateway Laptop w/ and AMD 64 3000+ and a 9600M Graphics for only $1200. I thought that might be pretty good except i didn't have time to look at it. I went to Gateways web site and I see that they don't have any AMD based Laptops, so i go to costco's website and they carry dells! Any one here of Gateways with AMD's? I see gateway sells AMD 64 cpu's but that's about it.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: Gateway w/ AMD 64?

Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:44 pm

paco wrote:
I was at Costco and I saw a Gateway Laptop w/ and AMD 64 3000+ and a 9600M Graphics for only $1200. I thought that might be pretty good except i didn't have time to look at it. I went to Gateways web site and I see that they don't have any AMD based Laptops, so i go to costco's website and they carry dells! Any one here of Gateways with AMD's? I see gateway sells AMD 64 cpu's but that's about it.

Dude, why are so concerned about name brand laptops? Just hit pricewatch and get an Asus or a Uniwill or something. It's the same thing.

paco
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:35 pm

i guess i could do that but all the asus's i see are way overpriced. I also don't wanna spend 1500 dollars on a brand i don't really know about.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:28 pm

paco wrote:
i guess i could do that but all the asus's i see are way overpriced. I also don't wanna spend 1500 dollars on a brand i don't really know about.

Brands are irrelevant. PC parts are PC parts. As long as you get a good enclosure and screen on the notebook, the guts in a generic book are going to be just as good as the guts in a Dell. I've owned a Dell notebook, they're okay....the enclosures are kind of cheaply built IMO. Do a search on pricewatch for an Asus notebook. There are alot out there around $1200-1300.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:32 pm

desktop's I couldn't agree with you

laptops on the other hand, I'm going to have to disagree on...there is alot of engineering that goes on to deal with the heat and other things, that I would only trust a name-brand to do it for me...but that's just me

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:47 pm

Well actually all the laptops are made by 3 companies in taiwan....all the OEMs do is buy the system and throw their names on it.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:39 am

Starfalcon wrote:
Well actually all the laptops are made by 3 companies in taiwan....all the OEMs do is buy the system and throw their names on it.

Thank you.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:11 am

support is also a key issue that hp/dell/gateway/apple may offer over generic laptops

I've never owned a laptop tho, so I'm talking out my @$$. I bought an HP once about a year and a half ago, but returned it because of all the crap software, adware, "visit the hp store", "get AOL" bull that they put on there. I wanted to install my own Windows XP Pro on there, but HP didn't make the drivers available other than on the version of Windows that they shipped with the notebook. So I sent it back. For that reason, generic models may have an advantage, but I don't know how easy it is to find drivers for those either.

So basicly, this is a worthless post :lol:

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:21 am

I'd say that A64 gateway laptop is most likely the same as the emachines ones....as they're both gateway now

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:26 pm

jss21382 wrote:
I'd say that A64 gateway laptop is most likely the same as the emachines ones....as they're both gateway now

If judging a book by its cover is accurate, I believe you're correct. I saw one in Worst Buy the other day and it is identical to the Emachines model - except for the logo. I wouldn't mind blowing my coin on it as long as it doesn't have the bloatware.

beyoku
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:24 am

flip-mode wrote:
jss21382 wrote:

If judging a book by its cover is accurate, I believe you're correct. I saw one in Worst Buy the other day and it is identical to the Emachines model - except for the logo. I wouldn't mind blowing my coin on it as long as it doesn't have the bloatware.

It has a little bloat ware but far much less than a dell. I swear its a big "AMD Consipracy" that you see it in the store but not on the sites.? THe screen has a nice high gloss compared to the emachine.. Other than that its the same machine- warning - emachines has disconiued that version of laptops on their site......It could be casuse they are going under gateway or it could be something else. who knows, but if your thinking about getting it i suggesst you check some threads at http://www.notebookforums.com

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:48 am

Also note that Tiger Direct has the Emachines version of that laptop available for $900.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:27 am

Vrock wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:
Thank you.
That's true of the "mainstream"/value (and some DTR) models from the big American OEMs, but Sony and Fujitsu sell their own designs and at least some Toshibas are unique as well. Don't know how you'd catagorize IBMs since they're produced by a Chinese company now, but they do some proprietary designs also.

And being able to get next-day replacement can make a huge difference when you're on the road.

videobruce
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:34 am

Would someone point to these "3" manufactures of Laptops and who buys from who??
Copyright protection & Intellectual property my ass. All the studios want is more money & control. Enough is enough!

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:50 am

Google is your friend...major ones are Clevo..Compal..Mahatsu(sp)..Quanta..then there are a fewer smaller ones.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Resomegnis
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:16 am

Hear about them, I'm standing in front of one right now. Circuit City carries those Gateway models with the Athlon 64 Processors. You can check our website for them, they're decent computers, pricey, so it's better to go with the HP ones, but good.

Generic Ninja
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:17 am

Quite a few Gateways are made by Samsung when it comes to their older thin and lights. I don't think that any of the "big" north american companies make any models themselves. As was previously mentioned you have to go to smaller (in terms of notebook marketshare here) companies like Sony etc to get a unit which may be designed and build by the company you purchased it from. Although it is not like the difference matters very much.

080119-deactivated
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:39 am

Vrock wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:

Thank you.

Thats actually not saying they all are the same quality/brand doesnt matter. For example - completely off-topic, but true - the X800Pro's. Normal vanilla X800Pro's have 2,0ns GDDR, the ViVo's have 1,6ns GDDR. That was example one, I try to say that it might be from same manufacturer, but performance can difference.

There are way more of these kinda examples. So it does matter what brand because that will have better quality than 'worse' brands. I read some very poor stories about people who bought a non brand PSU(like Q-tec) and blew up their machine. If they bought a better brand it never happened(the chance is anyway way smaller). Also the chance is very big that the parts are from the same factory...
EVE-Online
Corporation: Nexus Legion
Alliance: NxT LeveL

videobruce
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:41 am

Copyright protection & Intellectual property my ass. All the studios want is more money & control. Enough is enough!