Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Kraft75
Gerbil
Topic Author

2.4Ghz Devices and Cell phone dangers?

Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Is anyone paying attention to these kind of warnings?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 84,00.html

It seems to be a growing trends, in science circles and studies, that cell phones and wifi devices are bad for everybody. They emit microwave radiations that affect the cells in our body.

I listen to Coast to Coast AM(radio show) on the web, and they had a guest the other day, saying cell phones are the one most desctructive piece of technology ever created, because of the microwave radiation that come out of them. He mentionned that there's not one independant study that shows them as being safe. In fact, he had one example where one of these cell phone giants had hired a group of scientists to say this, and after a couple of years of studies, they came out to the public with their findings(against the company's will), about how they are detrimental to your health.

Here's the link to that night's show:
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2005/01/13.html
Here's the website of the guest, named Will Thomas:
http://www.willthomas.net/Cell_Phones/index.htm

The guest then mentionned how this compares so well with tabacco, in the way it's being treated. Scientists start to find out how bad it is. People slowy start to be educated about theses. Eventually you would have massive population outrage and class action suits. Then cell phone companies would answer the same way tabacco answers, by saying: "You can't prove it".... bla bla bla...

I mean, I'm a sceptik, but if you look back at tabacco, there was a time when people just lit up and had no clue of the dangers to health. I'm wondering if we're not going thru this ourselves, and people in 20-40 years from now will say the same thing about us, what we said about smokers 20-40 years ago.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention this to everyone, since 2.4Ghz + devices produce these microwave radiations. Now that 52% of homes have these, wow even if you wanted to take heed of these warnings, there's no way to escape it.

Wonder what everybody thinks of this.

Kraft75

Kevin
Administrator

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:06 pm

Moved to the Mobile Tech forum.

Kevin

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:36 pm

One thing that really bothers me is the rampant drive by cordless phone companies to push their own megahertz race. It seem like every yeah I see phones that have newer and higher operating frequencies. I really doubt it really pushes the range or these phones any further from, say, a 900MHz phone. But every yeah I see the same thing: "OMG LOL BBQ!! 73.29 GIGAHERTZES!! WOW!!!!1" plastered all over packaging.
It really bothers me when a new frequency range comes out, allowing wireless routers and APs to move to a frequency where there is no interferance from stupid cordless phones, then to walk into a store and see a brand new 5.4GHz (I thinks thats it/802.11n, anyone) cordless phone.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

house
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:49 pm

Well the studies are still in progress so we'll find out soon enough. Personally even if they are found to be harmful I don't think usage will drop much. Sometimes the convience of using wireless devices outweighs the health risk much like picking up fast food instead of making something healthy to eat at home. We accept certain risks and live with them knowing the consequences.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:51 pm

It seems to be a growing trends, in science circles and studies, that cell phones and wifi devices are bad for everybody. They emit microwave radiations that affect the cells in our body.

No. And wifi operates on a different frequency than cellphones. See, it operates in an unlicensed band, which is 2.4 Ghz. No Cellphone company in their right mind would ever use an unlicensed general purpose band for such a purpose. Anyone can use that part of the spectrum for anything, and that could disrupt their cellular network.

I'm pretty sure cellphones use like the 800Mhz band and the 1900Mhz band. So you really aren't even talking about the same thing here.

More importantly, for ever 1 study that finds a slight statistical anomaly, there are like 10 that don't. That's hardly convincing at all.

and they had a guest the other day, saying cell phones are the one most desctructive piece of technology ever created, because of the microwave radiation that come out of them.

Anyone can saying anything when they call in. I also question his hyperbole, because nuclear weapons are extremely destructive. It's so outlandish it's worthless to even repeat it.

Oh, that and Cellphones don't actually emit microwave radiation (2.4Ghz). He doesn't know what he's talking about.

He mentionned that there's not one independant study that shows them as being safe.

Because studies CAN'T conclude that. They can only conclude there isn't any reasonable evidence that the devices are dangerous. That's how it has always been, and that how it will always be. He's mentioning the obvious as if it is some sort of blinding insight or it backs up his point. It doesn't. Sorry.

In fact, he had one example where one of these cell phone giants had hired a group of scientists to say this, and after a couple of years of studies, they came out to the public with their findings(against the company's will), about how they are detrimental to your health.

An unnamed example that I doubt even HE named (you need to PAY to see his evidence :roll: ). Anyone can say anything, it doesn't matter if he is a guest on a radio show or even if he was the host.

I could care less about claims so vague that they can't be verified without PUTTING MONEY IN THE CLAIMANTS POCKET. They are pointless, useless, and they prove nothing. They just imply a scam.

The guest then mentionned how this compares so well with tabacco, in the way it's being treated.

This is just a variation of "they all laughed at <insert famous theoretician here>, and he was RIGHT". Well, as James Randi said, they also laughed at Bozo the clown.

The point is, just because no one is taking him seriously shouldn't EVER be used as evidence that they SHOULD take him seriously. Which is exactly what you are purposing people do. There has to be more to it than just that.

I might also add, that there has been microwave radiation flying around since before the dawn of history. It's only been recently that we have started to modulate it...

People slowy start to be educated about theses.

If you consider education to mean "They'll start to blindly believe my unverified claims, as well as my complete misunderstanding of science AND my mistaken belief that cellphones operate at the 2.4 Ghz band" Then yes.

I mean, I'm a sceptik

No, you're not.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention this to everyone, since 2.4Ghz + devices produce these microwave radiations. Now that 52% of homes have these, wow even if you wanted to take heed of these warnings, there's no way to escape it.

Of course there isn't anyway to escape it, without putting a filter around our planet that exludes radiation.
Last edited by Glorious on Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

St. Babu
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:52 pm

I'm sorry, I went to this guy's page. It talked about him as dealing in "Alternative medicine" (Read: Quack) and he's not giving out any "Information" for free. If he was really so concerned with everyone's health, don't you think maybe he'd NOT charge everyone $8 for his "Report"?

In other news, I can sell anyone who wants shares in my perpetual motion free energy hollistic healing machine dealership.

Kraft75
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:43 pm

An unnamed example that I doubt even HE named

Well, unamed, he did name it, and it's just I wasn't paying that much attention when he did mention it. So I went back to listen to that part again:

Quote: "Actually back in the 1980s, studies were done, studies were actually commissionned by industry, to confirm cell phone safety. They hired australian scientist like doctor Ross Addy(not sure of the spelling), later on doctor George Carlo and others, to confirm that these were infact safe. These scientists and others, after 4 or 6 years of research, others after decades of research, actually changed their minds and went against their own employers, the corporations like Motorola, AT&T and others who hired them, and blew the whistle saying these things aren't safe. It's not conclusive that they are dangerous, but they are certainly not safe, and they're not proven safe, and since then, we have stacks of studies that in fact these devices are extremely dangerous..." end Quote.

No, you're not.
quote by Glorious

Hey Glorious, liven up will you? To me someone that just starts name calling is just as bad as my 4 year old neighbor. I'm not selling anything here, just wanted to get the pulse, if anyone else is following up on these research.

I know the guy field of expertise is pretty much "out there". But the interview I listen to on coast to coast AM was very nice.

Kraft75

Kraft75
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:46 pm

Here's a link with doctor George Carlo, that doesn't come from that Wacky guy:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/file ... geone.html

Kraft75

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:40 am

Quote: "Actually back in the 1980s, studies were done, studies were actually commissionned by industry, to confirm cell phone safety. They hired australian scientist like doctor Ross Addy(not sure of the spelling), later on doctor George Carlo

George Carlo didn't have problems taking millions from cellphone companies and doing research that didn't find any problems until after their money stopped. Then, all of sudden, the studies did find possible problems. :roll:

This, despite the fact the head investigator, Joshua Muscat, said that Carlo played games with the data to get the result he wanted.

"http://www.wave-guide.org/archives/waveguide_3/carlo.html"

http://www.junkscience.com/may99/mwncarlo.htm

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/re ... ncell.html

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/j ... hones.html

Carlo's own people disagree with his results, doesn't that seem just a tad curious?

Hey Glorious, liven up will you? To me someone that just starts name calling is just as bad as my 4 year old

When did I call you a name? I said you weren't a skeptic.

if anyone else is following up on these research.

Except that it really isn't research to begin with, because Carlo primarily started talking about his results before his study was finished and the people who were doing it with him DISAGREE.

Kraft75
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:38 pm

Glorious wrote:
George Carlo didn't have problems taking millions from cellphone companies and doing research that didn't find any problems until after their money stopped. Then, all of sudden, the studies did find possible problems. :roll:

Well perhaps you're right about George Carlo, about his credibility, I'm no expert. That's exactly the reason why the subject should be inspected even more, with real independent studies not from Industry.

I'm sure there's lot of sources out there, talking about this, but the Brits seems to the ones making real efforts into this. Here's the link where the Department of Health of the UK announced new research back in 2000, in response to an independant group report, setup in '99:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PublicationsAndSta ... chk=0u0kHX

The independent group website, with the whole report available in PDF can be found here:

http://www.iegmp.org.uk/

I think alot of people don't want to hear bad news about a device that everyone uses daily. But the whole point of my post was to talk about the issue, to see if anyone is aware of the possibility of danger. I'm not really interested in discrediting people, cause even if the one guy is unclear, the facts remain, and science fact cannot be ignored.

I don't think being close-minded makes anything advance. I'm sure there's lots of people out there ready to defend this 40 billion dollar industry by any means necessary. Especially trying to discredit scientists, or methods.

Kraft75

LuckyInKentucky
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:33 am

In my opinion, I think that this guy just took too many Lortabs and wants to piss in someone's coffee. In other words, he is a kook.

All this talk about microwaves and this and that. Well, if you ate 100 pounds of cabbage in 24 hours you could hallucinate. It's one of those things. About like the guy that tried to prove swimming pool chemicals deadly after getting fired from the pool manufacturer. He tried to say that chlorine in the water caused skin cancer and other bodily afflictions. There is always someone out there that has their own personal things to say about something. The fact is, you shouldn't believe everything you hear. Most of the time you will find that these people are also the ones that defend the UFO theories and Elvis sightings. To them nothing can have a black and white answer or meaning. There is always a gray area. You catch my drift!