Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Stardumb
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Help with first notebook video card.

Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:01 pm

I am new to the notebook video card world. My desktop consist of a DFI Lanparty MB with AMD Bartoon 2500 overclocked to 2ghz, with 512mb ram, 120gb hd, and my video card is a 5900XT. I am looking in to getting a laptop for school and occasional gaming. I usualy play CS and World of Warcraft. What I want is a notebook card that is gonna give me equal or better graphics than my current desktop one. I haven't read or found any reviews or benchmarks for the X300, X600, X700, X800, 6800, or 6800 Ultra notebook video cards. I plan on getting at least a gig of ram no matter what video card. Could someone please point me in the right direction for a notebook video card. Thanks alot in advance.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:11 pm

If gaming's not the main point of this laptop, why be so concerned with video card? I'd look towards what fits your other needs first rather than nitpicking over the precise video card first. A lot of the time you really have to make a lot of compromises to get the high-end stuff that isnt necessarily worth it.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:54 pm

Your not going to find a laptop card that will perform as good as your desktop unless you pay big bucks...and then its gonna be iffy...the newer 800 series may come close..but you will sacrifice in other depts..make a list and decide what you need..can and cant live without. Laptops are about priorites as Mattsteg mentioned ...you cant have it all..just limit the damage for what you want.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.