Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

m32001
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Compaq Presario, CPU???

Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:35 pm

Hey all!

I was recently given a Compaq Presario laptop. I mentioned to a friend that I wanted something cheapo for tuning my emanage(piggyback ECU for my heavily modified car). Long story short, he gave me an extra laptop he had. It works perfectly and the only thing is; its missing the AC adapter/charger. I foundt hem on ebay for a pretty cheap price;

http://search.ebay.com/compaq-presario- ... ageZsearch

However, the thing is pretty slow. All I know is that it has a Cyrix processor, 32MB of ram,a nd a 2Gig hard drive. I was wondering if anyone out ther eknows what speedt he CPU probably is? The emanage software says that a minimum of 166MHz is required to run the software on the laptop for data logging and such. If this thing isnt at least that fast, then im not even going ot waste the $20-30 on the charger. Quick searches on google.com led me to believe its a 200MHz MMX compatible Cyrix CPU. Again, if someone can verify this that woudl be great.

Thanks for any info.[/url]
Last edited by m32001 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:05 pm

Sheesh, dude, learn to use the [url]tag. I'd be willing to help you if I didn't have to do so much horizontal scrolling. Oh, and it would help if you provided more information (model number, anything on the product tag on the bottom, anything that shows up in System Properties). Or you could just go download [url=http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php]CPU-Z[/url]

m32001
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:28 am

SOrry about the url thing.
Other forums I go to automatically put the url tags. 8)

Anyways. THe product tag on the bottom doesnt seem to have anything useful thats why I didnt post it.

I will now though since you asked;

Compaq Computer Corporation
Series 2940A

The battery is dead until I get a charger I cant turn it on for more than 10seconds before the battery dies. Well that was the last time, now it probably wont turn on at all. Thats how I found out it had a Cyrix processor. But thats as far as I got before it died. :)