Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Insurance for my laptop

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:30 am

Ok wondering if anyone can help. There was a fire next to my house which caused power lines to go down. This cause some nasty surges through my house. Taking out my laptop. Now the laptop is over a year and a half old but still covered under my house insurance from the full cost of 1099.99. The problem is insurance company is being an ass they want an estimate to get it repared. Normall not a problem except it can't be repared. The heat from the surge cause a fire inside the laptop around the area of the battery. melting several parts of the laptop and parts of the battery. Plus caused a problem with the monitor giveing it like a huge white spot in the center of the monitor. the laptop over heats if its trying to be used. So when i called bestbuy and circuit city they said they cant give me an estimate because they can't repair it. So i do not no what to do I am allowed to send the insurance company an estimate saying that the whole laptop needs to be replaced but BESTBUY AND CIRCUIT wont say it cause it wasn't bought from them. anyone have any idea what i can do. Or can anyone give me an estimate i can send my insurance company.

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:32 am

And just so you know the reason it can't be repaired is because it would need a new case, monitor, battery, motherboard and several other parts which are not made anymore.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:34 am

If a big chain won't do it, bring the laptop into a small computer store. I'm sure they'll write something up for you to send the insurance company. They might charge you a small fee, but it'd be worth it.

alternatively, you could contact the company that made the laptop, though you'd probably have to ship it to them for appraisal, and that'd cost a pretty penny. I'd stick with my first suggestion.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:44 am

i bought it from a small store. which went out of buisness. and no place else around. i live in a **** area. I was gonna send it to compaq but it will cost me like a total of over 150 for shipping plus estimate. and when i called they said they may not even be able to do it because of melted plastic

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:10 am

I can do an insurance estimate for you. We do 'em all the time. If you don't mind shipping to Oklahoma that is. Cheaper than $150, that's for sure.

We'll even patiently talk to your insurance company for you if they call to followup. Lemme know.

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:12 am

aight thanx ill send you the pics tommorow if u want just so you can see what i am talking about

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:27 am

Typical insurance wrangling..the arses...good cover emkubed.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:26 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Typical insurance wrangling..the arses...good cover emkubed.

just good thing it's not fedex..then I don't think emkubed would be able to give an unbiased appraisal ;-)

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:04 pm

well em thanks for the offer but everything ending up turing out allright. i had to pay 100 dollars to get this

might i had that the laptop of mine that was ruined was only 850 mhz duron

**EDIT BY MOD: shortened link so as not to break the table format even at 1600x1200. -Kevin**

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:10 pm

Great...good upgrade on the cheap. The HP's are pretty decent lappies.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.