Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

AC Adapter for Laptop Dead?

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:46 pm

Ok, not sure to place this here or over in General Hardware, but what they heck...

I get back from a trip on Tuesday evening.. My laptop (with it's totally dead battery) was working in the morning though the power connector was a little sensitive. I plug in the AC adapter, and fire up the machine.. 15 seconds later the machine shuts off.. I look and realize the laptop doesn't think it is recieving any juice from the adapter...

Strange.. so I whip out my multimeter.. check the AC line voltage to make sure it's not a problem with the wall socket, and I'm getting the 110 VAC fine... I check the other end of the power adapter, (stick one end of the probe into the center co-ax hole, the other probe on the outside contact), and I get a nice 0 VD...

I just wanted to make sure that I checked everything correctly, and if there was any other way to verify the adapter is in fact dead..

Thanks!
-Cent

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Re: AC Adapter for Laptop Dead?

Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:20 pm

druidcent wrote:
I just wanted to make sure that I checked everything correctly, and if there was any other way to verify the adapter is in fact dead..

Thanks!
-Cent

verify if the OD is a negative or postiive and the ID as well. (inner/outer).

and it its still 0VDC, its dead. open it up, check the fuses with your
tester via continuity check. then check the transformers then the
capacitors..possibly the resistors too.. check for burns on the solder traces on the circuit board.
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-