Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

digital cam question....

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:06 am

I don't even think I am gonna make any sense asking this one..but,if your batteries are dead INSIDE your digital camera,when you hook it up to the computer to take pics,then it is no longer working on batteries,and should still work,shouldn't it?Like,doesn't i only run on batteries when NOT connected to the pc?I am so confused! !LOL

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:11 am

Ohhhhhh.and THANK YOU to all you guys for trying to cheer me up!! Much appreciated! or,did I already say that?lol/ xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxo (oh,wait,am I gonna get grief now,cux I put 2 x's ,or 2 o's,without a space?) well,anyway. MWAH!

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:28 am

Depends if your camera charges over USB or not.

I'd say the massive likelihood is that you WON'T be able to get pictures off your camera via USB if the batteries are dead. If you use the mains adaptor at the same time though, you probably will be able to.
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:30 am

OHHHHH shoot! I just thanked all you guys for trying to cheer me up,but I didn't it under a different topic,didn't I?So,if any of the guys that tried to cheer me up don't read THIS topic,then they won't know I said "thanks",right?

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:41 am

well,that's what I don't get.....that's why I asked..even if the batteries may be dead..why wouldn't it let me load the pics when I was directly connected????That's why I asked in the first palce....I think I have let the batteries go dead before,but it never did this?Cuz,ya know..like a webcam....they don't use batteries. So I am completely confused! I know it sounds rediculous!But,for some reason,God is tormenting me!LM AO

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:45 am

OHHHHH!WAIT! A camera can CHARGE by usb????Myabe if I leave it plugged in for a while it will work?????

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:48 am

well,wait now..forget what I said,i think.That sounds like a nice thought,but I have had this cam for over 2 years,and have never had to charge it.....or is it possible you could have it that long without having to charge it? Oh man,I am completely confused now! :roll:

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:50 am

Now I am getting very strange pop-ups

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:05 am

and,i was able to get pics from my can just the other day (my kid just graduated 8th grade).......so,would it just go DEAD in a day or 2?seems unlikely,after 2 years of use...I could see if it went dead every couple WEEKS without being charged...OH MAN am I confused now!

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:54 am

1) There is an EDIT button, please use it.

2) Your camera requires power, be it from battery or from mains, to do anything - take pictures, show pictures, send pictures over USB.

2a) Is your camera a webcam or a handheld digital camera?

If it's NOT a webcam the following applies

3) Your camera has a battery of some sort. It may run from AA cells or it may have a proprietary rechargeable battery. I very much doubt that you've never had to change or recharge the battery in your camera - unless it has a docking station which you leave it on?

If it IS a webcam the following applies

3a) A webcam MUST be plugged in to USB to work.

Back to generic comments:

4) Don't post whilst intoxicated, it makes it rather hard to understand what you're on about.

5) Just because a battery worked yesterday doesn't mean it won't have finally expired today.

HTH

James
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS

satchmobob
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:58 am

Well said that man...

Where abouts in Worcester you from Excession? I live there too. Which reminds me, i gotta change my profile from Wolves...

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:41 am

Moved to Mobile Tech.

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:25 am

you are a real sweety pie,excession .... think maybe the sweetest person I have ever come across online.

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:52 am

so.... to anyone reading these posts,I would Just like to know if I did anything to deserve abuse from him? Was I being nasty in some way to deserve his nasty comments? Cuz,if I was ,I certainly didn't mean to. I cerainly never said anything bad about anybody on here, to deserve being talked to that way! I could see if I was being nasty to someone else, but that has certainly never been the case!

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:54 am

In fact,I don't even know why I just asked if could have said something bad,cuz there is certainly NOTHING bad about about anything I asked.....

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:58 am

It's just rather poor forum etiquette to post over and over in response to yourself. He was likely annoyed at your having done so. The forum provides an "edit" button on each of your posts so you can change what you have posted or add to / subtract from an original post.

He was likely peeved a bit is all, don't take it personally and learn from it :wink:

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:00 am

And,that was exactly why I asked ,excession....i said--if the batteries DO go dead,wouldn't the cam still work when directly plugged in.......but,you just ripped me a new one.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:05 am

I didn't mean to sound harsh, just stating the facts. Just, for future reference, if you feel like saying something else in a post, don't post again unless it's really really relevant, its easier and more courteous to use the "edit" button.

It's a win-win situation for all.

And, regarding your camera... I know from experience that the digital camera I have here at work does transfer pictures off of it unless the batteries are in it and charged, or it is on its docking station with direct power to it. Only then will they transfer via usb. The usb itself does not power it in my case, and I'm fairly certain it will not in yours as well.

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:05 am

Well,when I first signed up here,I even posted a thing to say I was new at posting,and didn't know all the rules.So,at least I had the manners to do that!But,on DYMT,a 17 year old girl can talk her messenger jibberish for hundreds of posts,and that's ok?

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:09 am

hedibear wrote:
And,that was exactly why I asked ,excession....i said--if the batteries DO go dead,wouldn't the cam still work when directly plugged in.......but,you just ripped me a new one.

:lol: :lol:

I think this is a case of humor not crossing the atlantic very well, that and the multi post thing.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:15 am

eGADS

er, what happened? :O

cheesyking, save me from the madness

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:16 am

well, when I posted more than once,it WAS relevant. And I just got done saying once again that I told you all that I was new to messege boards..So,like I said..hundreds of posts from that 17 year old girl,and that's ok. (don't even wanna say anything a bout her problems),but that's ok. So,it was ok for her,but even after I said I was new to messege boards,I still get treated like crap! doesn't seem fair to me

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:19 am

hedibear wrote:
well, when I posted more than once,it WAS relevant. And I just got done saying once again that I told you all that I was new to messege boards..So,like I said..hundreds of posts from that 17 year old girl,and that's ok. (don't even wanna say anything a bout her problems),but that's ok. So,it was ok for her,but even after I said I was new to messege boards,I still get treated like crap! doesn't seem fair to me

Noone's treating you like crap, we are simply asking you to abide by the general etiquette. DYMT has nothing to do with you nor does hte "17 year old girl" you keep referring to, Katie I beleve is her name. Just take responsibility for your posting and try to contribute to the forums. Noone is mad at you, noone hates you, smile a bit and enjoy this awesome day. You can be new to the forums as long as you want, babysteps.

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:34 am

Well,since I was writing to you guys JUST AS I was trying to get my camera to work,so very sorry for posting bad. Just thought you guys might be able to help me. That was the reason for the strange postings...whatever you call them

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:54 am

Was trying to take pics of the dozen beautiful roses my best buddy had just sent me.....so it was pretty important to me. Especially because he was going in for surgery in a few days,and i couldn't be there for him. So,if I wasn't thinking very straight,and posting perfectly, I am sorry!

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:11 am

@hedibear:

Did you ever read the advice and questions which I posted?

-James

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:29 am

to the OP as far as i know either is possible; some cameras will switch to the USB for power when you plug them into your computer while others will still draw power from the batteries (or in your case attempt to draw power and then fail). So there is no steadfast rule but I think that the former is more likely, because it isnt very logical to keep drawing from batteries while a USB connection is available for power so any decently designed cam should take advantage of that.

so.... to anyone reading these posts,I would Just like to know if I did anything to deserve abuse from him? Was I being nasty in some way to deserve his nasty comments? Cuz,if I was ,I certainly didn't mean to. I cerainly never said anything bad about anybody on here, to deserve being talked to that way! I could see if I was being nasty to someone else, but that has certainly never been the case!

i think the problem is the way that you posted, not the content of the posts. eg. your posts could have been summarised into something more concise which details your problem and makes it easier for others to address...

presumably your problem is fixed by now, but feel free to ask any further questions..... the guys here are a pretty tolerant, if you think that was abuse you should see what other people have had dealt to them before :lol:

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:26 pm

Well,thanks for your help, and I get it that you are supposed to follow all these rules when posting... but I have apologized for NOT knowing the rules perfectly,and I still get crap! Some guys are total sweeties,and tell me not to get so upset when the jerks are being jerks (and by the way,,,,THANK YOU<all you sweet guys) I keep trying to think of a way to put it into words......(comparing not being a perfect poster to everday real life). And all I can come up with is......My gosh, how do you guys live everyday life?????Like,when you are walking somewhere, do you just LOOK at people,and go "oh,that's not the right shirt with those pants",etc. Or,is it ONLY the online stuff that you are so critical about? Cuz from the pics I have seen, I odn't htink too manyof you were caring if your shirt matched your pants....for an example

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:52 pm

^ lol. Im wearing two different colors AND styles of sock. Got dressed in the dark and almost late for work. Thank god for no red lights.

hedibear
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:13 pm

Yes,I agree blitzy, but I also let everyone know that I was not thinking so clearly,because my goal in life at that moment was to take pics of the beautiful dozen roses my best buddy had just sent me...because he was going in for surgery on his broken nose.......so,PARDON me,as I have said a few times already on here,if I was not thinking clearly enough when trying to learn the proper etiquette