IBM Thinkpad & the RRbackups File

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

IBM Thinkpad & the RRbackups File

Postposted on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:09 pm

I'm working on a friends X60 ThinkPad.
XP Pro is installed on it's 60 GB drive.
Looking closely at the drive I found a hidden file called RRbackups.
The file is 28 GB in size.
I understand that this is IBM's Rapid Restore & Recovery file but it should only be 4-10 GB's big.
Can anyone comment on how to reduce it's size or adjust it's settings?
I went to IBM's site but all I could find was a 600 page pdf the size of which kinda makes sense -- overbloated book for an overbloated file.
And -- anyone know of a good IBM Thinkpad users forum?
Thanks in advance!
Rats in the hold.
Crews all dead.
I fear the end is near...
p645n
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:19 pm

Wow, 28GB on a 60GB drive is...astounding.

OK, it's got .cabs and the install programs to manage them, but still...1/2 the drive! :o

Doing a Google came up with

http://www.tempusfugit.ca/norobots/rr_lostspace.html
Snake
Gerbil Elite

Location: Somewhere...(if you say "over the rainbow", I'll kill ya!)

Postposted on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:29 pm

Dear Mister Snake -- thank you for the prompt response. It (the Tempus-gotta-be-somewhere-over-the-rainbow) plan is scary (to this total wanker it appears to be a good plan but far too many words!).
And as big as 28 GB's is it ain't this ThinkPads main problem which is a display that is just screwed in any but XP's "safe mode".
Think happy thoughts like Sky's Are Blue!
Rats in the hold.
Crews all dead.
I fear the end is near...
p645n
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:59 pm

I would recommend you uninstall the display drivers and remove all traces of the driver and device - CLSID's, reg keys, enumerations, etc, - of the old display device in the Registry. Then reboot and reinstall.
Snake
Gerbil Elite

Location: Somewhere...(if you say "over the rainbow", I'll kill ya!)

Postposted on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:09 am

p645n,

I you had taken the time to actually read my page then you would see that it was NOT my plan!
TempusWanker
Gerbil In Training

Re: IBM Thinkpad & the RRbackups File

Postposted on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Stop!!! Don't do that crazy tempis whatever thing...

Just go to Software, remove the Rescue and Recovery Lenovo... Done deal...

I just got back 45GIG!!!!!!!!!!! of my 90 GIG drive...

I am amazed that Lenovo did this and doesn't disclose it. In the Software list, it also doesn't show that it uses any space. very poorly implemented and used. This doesn't win customer loyalty.

I used to use ghost to back up my drives, at least weekly. Now use the Microsoft tool (limited but does a full backup). I thought my space problem was the Shadow Storage (Another brilliant idea by Microsoft, keep making it simpler so it becomes unmanageable and unusable... So in essence I was backing up my entire hard drive (Microsofts tool does not do compression) by backing up Lenovo's backup!

I probably will go back to Ghost, or achronis, do proper backups, and never use the deleted rescue and recovery.

My drive was at 4 Gig free, after messing with sizing the shadow storage (vssadmin) and then erasing the lenovo crap, I have 68 Gig free on a 90 Gig drive!!!

Horray!
cyphire
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:33 pm

What is it with your people! (READ THE LINK!)

IT IS NOT MY PLAN!!!!!!!

If you take the trouble to actually read the page that is linked (I admit that I have changed it) you will see that it is IBM's PLAN.

The use of the utilities supplied by IBM (now Lenovo) are worthless! This is what I was trying to point out!

My advice (this is Tempus - whatever......speaking here) is NOT to use RR&R - If you have in the past just deleting (or removing) the application WILL NOT automatically get your disc space back!

Acronis (please note the spelling! is the way to go IMHO

Tempusfugit

PS I now have 70G free on the the drive that is now fitted to my Thinkpad that came with a supposed 30G drive - but you will have to read my pages to find out how I did it.
Yes, it is an actual bigger physical drive - but it doesn't have the stupid IBM_SERVICE partition and there is no way I am going to use Rapid Restore and Recovery.
TempusWanker
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:39 am

I have just removed the Rescue and Recovery from my thinkpad result:

Before: 3gb free on 60gb drive
After: 45gb free on the drive!

Zuper!
mr.anderson
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Another confirmed kill..... (rat-a-tat-tat-tat)

I read this thread,

...then went to my >> Windows XP Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs >> (scrolled down to) Rescue and Recovery >> (clicked) Remove.....

...let the system re-boot......

I just GAINED 21.1GB on my ThinkPad R Series R61i(77322FU) laptop.......

@#$@#$@#$@#$%@$#%@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$

<<sound of German Ju 87 Stuka dive bomber from the x286 DOS game "Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain," circa 1989>>

bur-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r--r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r--r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r--R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R...

KAH-BLAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<<several secondary explosions heard as Lenovo Rescue and Recovery slams hard into deleted program HELL !!!!!>>

8) ... 8) ... 8) ... 8) ... 8) ... 8) ... 8) ... 8) ... 8) ... 8)

jamhandy
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:15 pm

28 gigs isn't to be unexpected.

Rescue and Recovery backs up the entire hard drive to itself daily. Useful if there's a malware infection since the last backup.

Not useful if there's a hard drive failure.
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:30 pm

bhtooefr wrote:28 gigs isn't to be unexpected. Rescue and Recovery backs up the entire hard drive to itself daily. Useful if there's a malware infection since the last backup. Not useful if there's a hard drive failure.

We have this software in our corporate environment. It has never been used successfully to restore the OS and applications and data. The techs always wipe the drive and put the original image back on and then you have to go through all the application installs and windows updates, etc. The techs know that this R&R software is crap. Hopefully we will not see this software when we switch to Vista.

BTW, the users are always having to go in the R&R to delete backups to give themselves enough room to do their work.
GTVic
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:53 pm

Yeah, I think I ended up disabling that functionality on this thing. :)

I just restore from the factory image, sometimes it's nice to have a fresh system. :)
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Lenovo Thinkpad T61 No RRbackups File? Machine HDD full up

Postposted on Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:37 am

Any one know why my T61 Lenovo has suddenlly only got 3.6 G of free space on a 100G HDD.

It was a clean machine last week with about 80% of free space. The feeds saying you can delete the RR worked on my dektop Lenovo, but the lapy is just not having it. The thing is, I upgraded to Win7 and was running great... Allot better than it ever did on VIsta. And it doesn't seem to be running slow now. Is this another case of IBM/Lenovo making the recovery software inpracticle and taking up all of the HDD space? Any one think I should try recovering from the WIn7 Disc, making sure I don't have the R&R Software/Utility on the machine when it is completed?
smudge
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:26 am

Thanks guys. Its was a great help. I had the same problem with space, but after removing Rescue & Recovery I got my space back.
mohdsalumber
Gerbil In Training

Return to Mobile Tech