I need a new cell phone

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

I need a new cell phone

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:54 am

This forum looks like the closest one. I broke my Samsung 8500 last night and didn't have a backup of the phone numbers stored in there. Which really sucks.

I'm looking for a new phone now for PCS (I know so many people hate it, but I'm on it and have no problems). I'd like one that connects to the PC easily to backup phone numbers, preferably with Outlook instead of a crappy application. If it could do calendaring with Outlook that would be incredible. Color screen and non-annoying (or downloadable) ringers would be excellent. I was going to wait and see what the new Matrix Phone was like, but I can't go two months without a phone. If only that Nokia from the original Matrix was PCS capable...

Anyone got a suggestion? I'd prefer to not go broke on this.
hans
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:22 pm

Anything by Samsung would take good care of you.
b3n113
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:21 pm

Not going broke while getting something decent might be a very hard thing to do.

Let us know what you picked up.
I like VB
Norgs
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:30 pm

I bought the Samsung A460, basically an updated version of my previous 8500. It works well, though I've had some odd issues with it:

I entered phone numbers into the phone book, and somehow a few got set to have personalized ringers of null. Whenevere these people called, my phone crashed. I had to go through all my entries & make sure they had default selected for ringers.

The phone book is a little less snappy than my previous. Before, I'd hit down arrow, first letter, and instantly be transported to the entries begining with that letter. Now, there's a noticable delay.

Also no audio recorder for self-notes. Eh.

But it was only $100. It'll last two years hopefully, at which time I'll finally leave sprint. I can't believe how annoyingly complicated their text messaging is. Every other service, you send from the phone directly. With PCS, you have to connect to the net from your phone, and go through an annoying menu system. Its so convoluted.
hans
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:49 pm

Samsung MCP4900. Sweet and color!
Woohoooo!
dohcmark8
Gerbil

Return to Mobile Tech