iPad, someone please convince me

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

iPad, someone please convince me

Postposted on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:17 am

Comrades

Like others here, I am a tech gizmo freak. I like shiny new things and I want them. But there is a practicality threshold that a toy must cross for me to buy it. It has to allow me to do something that I couldn't do before, or do something I can currently do, better.

I want an iPad. It appeals to my gizmo freak nature. But when I go into the store to buy it and I flick around on it's screen, something stops me. I can't quite get it across that practicality threshold. I think about myself using it to: take notes in meetings, read all those old Marvel comics I used to love, play scrabble during video conferences, read books on planes. Hmmm, that's $800 for a comic book reader. I also think about cool ways I could use it in my pnp rpg sessions and I can't quite find the apps for that. Like Jobs himself was quoted as saying: 'What can you do with it other than read web pages on the john?'

There is also the limitations. No usb, no HDD. No real way to save a word doc to an external drive. Yech, iTunes. No Flash. And worst of all, the feeling that everything you do on YOUR iPad costs you money. It's like you're being sold a shopping mall for you to spend money in. I really do want a Win7 Tablet. But a good one. Not one that is a hacked together PC that would break your toe if it fell on it. One that is a real computer. But who knows when that will arrive?

Sorry, I am rambling. So I ask my fellow Gerbils with iPads to tell me some of the cool things they do with their iPads. Convince me to buy one, please!
i7 2600k @ 4.7 GHZ | 16GB G-Skill DDR3-1600 | Asus P8P67 Pro | PCP&C Silencer 750 | Corsair Graphite 600T |
Boot: 2xOCZ Vertex 3 120gb | Media: 2x WD Black 2Tb | GTX760 4gb | Dell u2771 | Benq FP231W |
Acer 1810TZ | OCZ Vertex 2 120gb |
Plazmodeus
Gerbil XP

Re: iPad, someone please convince me

Postposted on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:26 am

You made such good points against it.....I've decided not to buy one. :wink:
Fighterpilot
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:35 am

Wait for Notion Ink's Adam or HP's tablet with WebOS.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking
element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:45 am

I would wait till the other companies get their product out. You know they will have flash and a USB, and probably even a hard drive! Yes, the ipad will continue to sell like hotcakes, but there will be better alternatives out there.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:32 pm

I find myself thinking about buying a cheap one to watch Netflix on and read Time Magazine with, once they set up the subscriber thing like they did with People.
But then I remember that it's still running iOS 3.2 and barely has a higher-res display than the iPhone 4 and resolve to not touch the thing until version 2 comes out.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals
SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Return to Mobile Tech