This is probably blasphemy, but i'll ask anyway...

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

This is probably blasphemy, but i'll ask anyway...

Postposted on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Well, I've come to the conclusion that my 1st gen macbook needs a larger hard drive. Currently it has a 60 GB mechanical one. Since it is 1st gen I can change the HD, and it is way out of warranty. (I got it for $400 refurbished, be jealous!)

The other issues at stake is my main desktop computer is a PC and I have licences for CS5, LR3 and Vectorworks that could all benefit from a mobile installation.

Buying second copies of those programs for the mac are out of the question, and buying a new laptop is also out.
This is a core duo processor (not the core 2, remember those?) so it is still in the 32 bit world. A OEM windows 7 install is $100.
The question is, SSD or mechanical with a total budget of around $400.

Should I get the $60 WD 500 GB drive or look into the SSD realm?

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136692&cm_re=wd_500gb_black-_-22-136-692-_-Product
SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148362

Is that SSD a big enough drive and is it worth the cost? The total cost with the mechanical is around $160, but the total cost with SSD is ~$360.

I'm planning on keeping the laptop until is dies. If the mechanical drive outlives the computer then, it will go into an external enclosure. If I go the SSD route, it would move to the next laptop, or into the desktop.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
rogthewookiee
Gerbil First Class

Re: This is probably blasphemy, but i'll ask anyway...

Postposted on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:15 pm

I would most definately say it is worth upgrading. As to what would be the best option, that is up to you. What do you use it for? My wife has a Core Duo laptop and its fine. But a bigger hard drive would be awfuly nice. As for a faster option like an SSD, I just don't see it making sense. I'd go for a ~500GB WD and call it good for that laptop.

My only other question is: Do you have 1 or 2 gB of RAM? A RAM upgrade may be a great move as cheap as it is now.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 17-35/2.8-4 D, 35-105/3.5-4.5, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:38 pm

I primarily use it for word processing and internet on the go currently. The impetus for this upgrade is to be able to update my lighting designs while in the theater rather than making the notes and editing once I get home. The image editing option is a plus. I don't currently keep music, movies or pictures on it. So I don't necessary need space beyond OS and App files. It does seem a bit excessive to spend more than half the cost of the machine on a drive.

I already have 2GBs in, it is really sad that it doesn't take more.

I actually don't have an SSD in my desktop yet. Next round of upgrades.
rogthewookiee
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:39 pm

TheEmrys wrote:My only other question is: Do you have 1 or 2 gB of RAM? A RAM upgrade may be a great move as cheap as it is now.
Except that this yonah-based machine will require DDR-2 SODIMMs, which aren't quite the same sort of bargain.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Return to Mobile Tech