Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Android 3.0 Issues Q&A

Wed May 04, 2011 2:47 pm

I recently purchased a Motorola Xoom. While I love the hell out of this thing so far, there still are a few qwerks (namely with Google Calendar) that I can't seem to find a work around for no matter what I search for.

I'm attempting to keep track of my billable time with the device. Part of that is syncing the Calendar on the Xoom with Google Calendar, something that should be flawless right?... Not so much. It does sync, but instead of putting things in the correct time slot, it jams everything up against the top of the days calendar on google to 12am. I thought to myself that maybe I had a time setting hooked up wrong on either one, also not the case. Both of them at set for -9 GMT Alaska time. Then I need to take this information even further by syncing google calendar to Microsoft Outlook 2007/2010. The google sync tool has proven to be a pain in the ass. Of course its still officially a "Beta" but then again so was Gmail for the longest time and I had no issues with it. The sync on my home computer gets caught up on the default MS Outlook email profile, of which I only have 1 selected and am never prompted to choose it when I manually open Outlook. Checked all settings and still its not fixed, seems to be many people with this issue. However, the sync appeared to work her at my job no problem, of course it looses color coding with 2 way syncing to/from outlook and google. That sucks but I was willing to live with that and rely instead of typed queues to remind myself which sub-contract it was for.

OK..... Separate issue, with the default calendar on the Android 3.0 front. When putting time from say 10:00 to 10:30 its going to default select 10:00-11:00. I edit the time down by 30 minutes, not biggie, but still some extra work. I then go to add another event after the first is created. This should pickup where the other left off and be 10:30-11:30 for instance.. If I click on the open space after 10:30 the event by default still says 10:00-11:00 and I have to edit both start and end times. Seems kind of crappy that it wont select the remaining time as the Calendar ALWAYS selects a minimum of 1 hour increments. Google calendar itself gives you 30 minute increments, which still isn't what I wanted which was at least 15 minutes.

So that is my little rant about the inconsistency between THE SAME DAMN PROGRAM (Google Calendar) on multiple platforms (Mobile and Web Based). Just seems like they really need to get their **** together. Ohhhh, not to mention Google Sync wont even give you the option to sync a sub calendar....

If anyone knows how to fix any one or more of these problems, it would make my life so much easier. Any clue?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Android 3.0 Issues Q&A

Wed May 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Have you tried using another calendar app. that syncs with GCal? Something along the lines of Business Calendar (Free)? It might give you the usability that you're looking for while still keeping everything synced properly. It's just a thought, though. I've never really played with third party calendar apps, so I can't vouch for any of them.

Also, I highly recommend checking out XDA Developers, especially the Xoom forums since that's your particular device. The wealth of knowledge at that place is absolutely outstanding. After troubleshooting a problem for several hours, I made a post and had a response within 8 minutes.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.