Got an x120e

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Got an x120e

Postposted on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:43 am

So I got an X120e as a replacement for my nearly 6 year old HP nw8240. Been liking it so far, there's been a bit of hiccups along the way but generally it's been good. No stranger to the trackpoint and I kinda welcome the 'real' implementation of it compared to what was on the hp. Kinda missing middle click, since the hp had a dedicated middle click button. Gonna run through some tests tomorrow. Thing runs quiet and cool. I also miss my 1920x1200 resolution. And I can no longer claim that the lowest resolution I see is the 1920x1080 i see on my tv.
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Intel i7 2600k - Corsair H60 - Win 7 Pro x64
16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 - Sapphire 7970 - Gateway FPD2485W
2x320gb RAID0 - 4x1000gb RAID5 - Antec Signature 850W - Tagan Black Pearl
X-Fi Fatal1ty - Logitech X-540 - RK-9000 - G9
no51
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Got an x120e

Postposted on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 am

My coworker bought one of these on my advice. It's a good machine altogether but he constantly complains it has no Thinklight (little light in screen bezel that illuminates the keyboard). I had a bunch of Thinkpads and I almost never used that thing but to him it's a problem. Does it bother you?
Synchromesh
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:24 am

Yeah, I noticed they were back on Lenovo's site just as mysteriously as they vanished. I was hoping the x121e would show up instead, and we'd have an interesting opportunity to compare a low-end i3 with Zecate in the same platform. I keep being right on the verge of pulling the trigger on Lenovo's smallest X only to be tempted to wait by rumors of the next one. Which probably just means the I'm still in the "nice-, not need-, to-have" stage with an ultra/net book form factor.

Backlit keyboards or the Thinklight can be a godsend in certain situations, but I've had a USB gooseneck LED in my travel bag for ages so it's not a huge deal for me (aesthetics aside, though if I was an aesthetics-fetishist I'd be using Macs I suppose). You might want to suggest that to your co-worker. They cost a lot less than the price difference between the x120 and the x220 (which is what you'd have to buy to get a ThinkLight in this form factor)
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:41 pm

I had an x120e for awhile, sold it to a relative after I bought the x220.

They are both really nice portable laptops. 100% matte cases with no bling, both have screens a step above most in their class (matte in a netbook, IPS in an ultraportable) and IMO easily the best keyboards. The x120 chiclet style blows away every other netbook I've touched (which is many) and the large x220 keys are better than a lot of common desktop keyboards I've suffered. (not counting my personal mechanical ones)

If you are willing to wait for the right combination of deals, they can get pretty cheap.

There is a fair amount of griping on boards of various issues with both models but I didn't have any of the supposedly "common" problems.
blah blah blah signature blah blah blah
Bauxite
Gerbil Elite

Return to Mobile Tech