3G Wireless card for Europe travel

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

3G Wireless card for Europe travel

Postposted on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:29 pm

A managing partner of our company is going on a trip through Spain, France, Italy, and Monte Carlo.

Other than an AT&T 3G card with a stupendously expensive international data plan, what options do I have? I'd like to have something ready for her to pick up at an airport or something.

Anybody have any experience with this? Different carriers? Vodaphone comes to mind, I don't know why.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.
mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: 3G Wireless card for Europe travel

Postposted on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm not an expert at this but roaming across different countries is going to be a nightmare as she'll be hit with insanely high charges as she crosses the boarder from whatever country she got the contract in. She might want to consider getting a new pay-as-you-go in each country she visits (if she's going to do a lot of downloading).

Just for reference here's vodafone uk's charges (a bit silly I know as she isn't going there and the prices aren't in Euros but it gives you an idea what it'll cost without speak French etc):

Contract:
If you use more than 25MB of data in a day, you’ll now pay £1 a MB up to 5MB, then £5 for every 5MB after that.

Pay as you go:
If you’re a pay as you go customer, you’ll pay just £2 a day for a daily allowance of 25MB to use in any European zone country.

so that's something like $3 for a few beefy web pages or a couple of chunky emails on PAYG.

The EU isn't that unified :wink:

BTW, do you get hit with big charges in the US if you go out of your carrier's area?
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to Mobile Tech