Camera-free portable options?

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Camera-free portable options?

Postposted on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 am

I may in the near future be needing a wireless internet enabled computing device. It doesn't necessarily have to be a smartphone- could be a tablet or netbook. However, I cannot use any camera-possessing device at work. It cannot have a camera, it cannot have EVER HAD a camera. Gouging out the lens is not an option.

Wi-fi is not an option, nor is connecting to corporate network, so I will need 3G or 4G ("just how many bloody G's are there?") connectivity.

What are my options? I know Blackberry makes a few camera-free phones, but do any decent tablets or netbooks exist that fit the bill?
"No I don't want the Ask toolbar! No I don't want Bing as my default search! No I don't want to make Chrome my default browser!"
"Good grief, man! WHAT are you trying to install on that poor computer?"
"Antivirus."
kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Camera-free portable options?

Postposted on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:50 am

Do you work with Darkmage?
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:56 am

I believe Archos has a few tablets that are camera-free.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 17-35/2.8-4 D, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 pm

The original iPad.
windwalker
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:06 am

Ipad I'm considering but the price of admission is pretty far up there.

I guess I should ask also, why do people hate Blackberry so much?
"No I don't want the Ask toolbar! No I don't want Bing as my default search! No I don't want to make Chrome my default browser!"
"Antivirus."
kvndoom

Postposted on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 am

I think the original iPad 3g is a great option - it looks like you can buy them refurbished direct from Apple for $400 or there's always the eBay option as well. You could probably also hit up craigslist for some local action for even less if you're into that kind of thing.

I'm a windows/PC guy through and through, but I'm a pretty big fan of my iPhone 4s and iPad 2 I just got my wife for Christmas. Yes, they have limitations, but I also think they're not trying to be everything to everyone which ends up being a bit of a mess (I'm looking at you, some of the random android phones I looked at and Android tablets with various skins and versions of the OS). The other thing to think about is because Apple is the leader in the field (like it or not) just about any application worth having is going to be on iOS or soon will be. There's always a jailbreaking option as well (so I've heard) if your require additional "flexibility".
i7-3770K | Asus P8Z77-V LK | 8GB DDR3-1600 | HD5850 | 128GB 840 Pro | Samsung F3 1TB | U2412M | Define R4 | Seasonic 520W M12II | Win7 Pro x64.
frumper15
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Do you work with Darkmage?
:D

windwalker wrote:The original iPad.
Other possiblities: A first gen Nook with Android loaded upon it. It should be cheaper than a new iPad, if not as fast. Or, well, in color. :)

Another possibility is to get a cheap netbook (obviously something without a built-in webcam) and get a mobile Internet USB stick from Verizon or somewhere similar.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:34 pm

I wound up with a BB Tour 9630. I got it for a fair price, and will get it activated next month. Got a 32GB micro SD card coming too, so I can fill it up with tunes and leave the ipod in the car. I hope I enjoy using it for phone/net.

I heard of someone in my department who has an ipad, and even though it's legal, it's "close enough to a computer" that people are frowning upon it pretty badly. Still, he is using it... for now. I think I made the best choice.
"Antivirus."
kvndoom

Postposted on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Huh....I didn't know that recent Blackberries were sold without cameras.Now that I think about it, it doesn't really surprise me given how popular Blackberries are in the corporate and defense sectors. Seeing as you're in Virginia, I'm guessing that you may or may not work for Big Brother or one of his many contractors. If that's the case, then I'm actually surpsied because in my experience it's been an all or nothing game: either you're allowed to have a phone at work or you're not, regardless of the camera.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Dizik wrote:Huh....I didn't know that recent Blackberries were sold without cameras.Now that I think about it, it doesn't really surprise me given how popular Blackberries are in the corporate and defense sectors. Seeing as you're in Virginia, I'm guessing that you may or may not work for Big Brother or one of his many contractors. If that's the case, then I'm actually surpsied because in my experience it's been an all or nothing game: either you're allowed to have a phone at work or you're not, regardless of the camera.
It depends on which branch of Big Brother you work for. The FBI, for example, allows phones. As does the State Department. The more spooky three letter agencies do not.

What surprises me is the "they frown heavily but..." situation. In my experience, its an automatic "no, unless we specifically authorize the device".
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:28 pm

Blackberry. Try to find one of the new OS7 based phones. They have the good hardware in them, recent OS leaks and some official versions also have wifi calling which is a handy feature. 2 or 3 of the new Curve models also have a built in FM radio. and the 9900 has NFC built in though I don't think NFC has taken off in the US much.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
Philldoe

Postposted on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:38 pm

If a good deal ever comes along on a 9930, I'll likely jump on it. Until then I think I'm going to love this 9630. With the 32GB SD card, it makes for one hell of a nice music player! :D I put some playlists on it before going to the gym last night and really enjoyed it. I really wish the headphone jack was on the top instead of the side, but that's my only complaint with it as a media player.

I found and installed the latest OS5 I could get my hands on, which is as high as I can go with the Tour. At least that still would let me use a Playbook if I ever want one.

Things will only get better when I add it to my girlfriend's Verizon account next month.
"Antivirus."
kvndoom

Postposted on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:23 am

kvndoom wrote:If a good deal ever comes along on a 9930, I'll likely jump on it. Until then I think I'm going to love this 9630. With the 32GB SD card, it makes for one hell of a nice music player! :D I put some playlists on it before going to the gym last night and really enjoyed it. I really wish the headphone jack was on the top instead of the side, but that's my only complaint with it as a media player.

I found and installed the latest OS5 I could get my hands on, which is as high as I can go with the Tour. At least that still would let me use a Playbook if I ever want one.

Things will only get better when I add it to my girlfriend's Verizon account next month.

Ouch, old BlackBerry :(

You'll love a 9930, I bought a 9900 last year. Best damn phone I've ever had in my hands. The OS has come a long way since the OS4.6/OS5 days.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
Philldoe

Postposted on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 pm

I went ahead and bought a Bold 9650 that was on C-List. It's a lot faster and smoother than the Tour. OS6 is taking a little adjusting to, but it's mostly familiar enough. Not sure if I like the pad better than the ball, but there's no going back from here...
"Antivirus."
kvndoom

Return to Mobile Tech