When is a tablet like a PC?

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

When is a tablet like a PC?

Postposted on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Have been thinking about getting a tablet, most likely an android like the transformer Prime;

But here's the problem, it seems to me that a user doesn't have the kind of control over software on a tablet that they have with a PC. For example, when a new version of the android OS comes out, you have to wait for the manufacturer to ALLOW you to install the update on your own tablet, or there is already software installed that you might not want or have trouble erasing.

I know the analogy between a tablet and a PC isn't perfect; but what I want to know is if there is a tablet out there where I could conceivably format and install the OS( i.e. linux) i want, with whatever else software wise i might want; you know, the same way i might clean out a brand laptop or PC to get rid of bloatware. And without jumping through hoops (jailbreaking!) or voiding the warranty to do it.

Maybe, i'm overthinking this, but personally I like to install the latest versions of stuff myself, and i like knowing what's on my computer and what it's doing.
heater19
Gerbil In Training

Re: When is a tablet like a PC?

Postposted on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:52 pm

heater19 wrote:I know the analogy between a tablet and a PC isn't perfect; but what I want to know is if there is a tablet out there where I could conceivably format and install the OS( i.e. linux) i want, with whatever else software wise i might want; you know, the same way i might clean out a brand laptop or PC to get rid of bloatware. And without jumping through hoops (jailbreaking!) or voiding the warranty to do it.

Maybe, i'm overthinking this, but personally I like to install the latest versions of stuff myself, and i like knowing what's on my computer and what it's doing.

If that's really what you want, get an Android tablet (such as the Prime), and then install CyanogenMod. After that, you can choose how and when to update the OS, modify all kinds of device behaviors, and easily sideload apps. Yes, this is going to require extra hoop-jumping compared to a PC. On the other hand, once you own a tablet I think you'll find that it works best as a happy medium between your smartphone and your laptop: there just aren't as many reasons to continually tweak and fiddle as there are on a PC.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Android is Linux, aside from the fact it isn't...

This is the part I hate. I thought it would be an open platform, but it's locked, possibly even tighter than IPhone.

For Wildfire S I own, I need to buy some sort of hardware unlocker to get it to work with unlocked Linux. Other than that you're tied to Google services everywhere. There are only few actions you can do without the phone pinging back to Google.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b
Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Owning the Transformer Prime, I'd say I have just about as much control as I do on my PC. You can usually find an update or mod out on the web (xda-developers usually) before the official release (or around the same time). I was able to update to ICS before it got pushed to my tablet for example. And you can mark which apps you want to automatically update, and which that you don't.
druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to Mobile Tech