Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Buying apps, are they tied to an account?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:55 pm

So I have an HTC sensation 4G. I haven't yet bought any apps but I was wondering about purchased apps. Are they bound to your account, can I then setup a tablet say and install that app I purchased with my shared account??? If I change phones do I have to repurchase my apps?

Some one told me that apps are account bound, like a steam game and you just have setup and android based phone with the same gmail account. If anyone can shed some light on app licensing/ownership whatever its called for android and or iOS devices I'm trying to get an understanding of it all.

EDIT:
Was looking around and stumbled onto google play, don't know what to make of it.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Buying apps, are they tied to an account?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:04 pm

Yes, apps you buy from the google market, now rebranded google play (it's exactly the same thing), are tied to your account. If you buy a new phone you can redownload them.

I would assume you can have them installed to multiple devices at the same time as well, but I've never tested that.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:05 pm

So far, all the apps that I've bought or downloaded on my phone have been available for my tablet. I usually buy Amazon's FAotD on my phone, even if I'll be using it on my tablet. Also worked for the Google Market/Play store.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Ok, awesome. Thanks guys.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Certain games need to be purchased separately if there are different versions optimized for different devices. Besides that they are all linked to your Google account.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:55 am

Additionally, some apps are not certified for tablets, and vice versa. For example, I don't think Amazon has a tablet app, preferring that you just use their website. Their phone app is pretty good.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus