Mobile TR or APP

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Mobile TR or APP

Postposted on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Can we please get a mobile version of the site?Or an App even for Win Phone 7/iOS/Droid?

Having to navigate the full website in 2012 is sorta insane,especially for a tech website :)

I only complain cause i love TR.It's literally my favorite website on the internet tubes.

Edit** Or is there a mobile site and it's just not compatible with Win Phone 7,which is what i use?
panthal
Gerbil

Re: Mobile TR or APP

Postposted on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:48 pm

I think browsing the full site on my phone is a joy. I don't like mobile sites. But to answer your questions, no there is no mobile site, but I think they have said in the past that they are working on an app and/or mobile version of the site.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:45 pm

If you send your question to Jordan, jdrake@techreport.com, they'll have a roundtable discussion about it on the podcast for a couple of minutes and you can get some really good insights about how progress on the front is going.
Krogoth wrote:Care to enlightenment me?
grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:29 pm

I don't really feel the need for a dedicated mobile version of the site since Android's text reflow works pretty well. It only really breaks on comments in the articles, but even then it's fine in landscape mode. I tend to really dislike mobile sites since they tend to really gut the functionality of the full desktop sites and make the mobile browsing experience worse and not better...
yokem55
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:03 pm

yokem55 wrote:I don't really feel the need for a dedicated mobile version of the site since Android's text reflow works pretty well. It only really breaks on comments in the articles, but even then it's fine in landscape mode. I tend to really dislike mobile sites since they tend to really gut the functionality of the full desktop sites and make the mobile browsing experience worse and not better...

Agreed.
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:47 pm

cynan wrote:
yokem55 wrote:I don't really feel the need for a dedicated mobile version of the site since Android's text reflow works pretty well. It only really breaks on comments in the articles, but even then it's fine in landscape mode. I tend to really dislike mobile sites since they tend to really gut the functionality of the full desktop sites and make the mobile browsing experience worse and not better...

Agreed.

++

The only thing that's annoying about reading the full site is when replying to forum posts, as iOS pauses dramatically whenever it scrolls inside of TR's text boxes. Other than that, the full site isn't much of a problem.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Mobile Tech