Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tips for unlocking iPhone (sim-unlock)

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi all,

My wife's Galaxy S1 is about to die, and due to the great laws in Québec, I can finally rid myself of Rogers. I want to unlock my iPhone 4 32gb for my wife to use, and pick up a 4S 32gb for me with whichever provider I choose.

There's a chance Rogers may unlock it for me, but if they refuse, anyone have any luck with one the services in the 'net?

I don't care about jailbreaking, I have no complaints about the phone, I just want to use it on another carrier.

Thanks
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Tips for unlocking iPhone (sim-unlock)

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Well, there's a way to permanently unlock iPhones by using their IMEI and serial number, but that only works for AT&T models and it costs about $120... There's also a hardware thingie called "Gevey SIM", which is a little PCB with contacts and some chip which goes between SIM card and your iPhone, and it's kinda cheap, but I've heard it's not guaranteed to work... Your best bet is to call Rogers and ask them to provide you with unlock code (or whatever they do to unlock it), it shouldn't be a problem if your contract has expired.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people