Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Re: Best ultra book style computer that can play some games

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:50 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I installed the brand-new 3DMark demo this evening:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/

Ice Storm: 36974 (194.7, 168.1 and 84.9 fps)
Cloud Gate: 3995 (20.3, 21.2 and 8.08 fps)
Fire Strike: 633 (2.78, 11.9 and 1.13 fps) :lol:

I think this is where AMD Kabini is going to have an upper hand.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Well it looks like desktop graphics aren't going to be too exciting this year, what's the mobile situation looking like?

Right now the best mobile GPU that balances power with mobility seems to be the 650M. Rumors suggest that Haswell's graphics performance is going to be close to the 650M, so will disctete mobile GPUs not be worth it in 2013, or are nvidia and amd going to come out with something worth buying?

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 pm

leor wrote:
Rumors suggest that Haswell's graphics performance is going to be close to the 650M, so will disctete mobile GPUs not be worth it in 2013, or are nvidia and amd going to come out with something worth buying?

I can't imagine Nvidia and AMD will sit there and let Intel take them out of the market. I anticipate that both will release new, better performing products to replace the 650M. Also, demos aside, I bet Haswell only performs on par with the 630M, which is a substantial step down from the 650M (based purely on my internal conjecture). An achievement, sure, but not enough for many mobile gamers. Still, it's hard for me to click "buy" on a new laptop today when I know Haswell is going to offer such a large leap in GPU performance tomorrow.
x--x--x--x

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:50 pm

leor wrote:
Well it looks like desktop graphics aren't going to be too exciting this year, what's the mobile situation looking like?
Right now the best mobile GPU that balances power with mobility seems to be the 650M. Rumors suggest that Haswell's graphics performance is going to be close to the 650M, so will disctete mobile GPUs not be worth it in 2013, or are nvidia and amd going to come out with something worth buying?

The performance may be close in few select games, but you're forgetting that Nvidia (as well as AMD) tries to optimize their drivers for many games and they release the new drivers pretty often... Intel, however, is not very committed to such things (optimizations for wide range of games and frequent driver release), regardless of their future "promises".
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

leor
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:34 am

JohnC wrote:
The performance may be close in few select games, but you're forgetting that Nvidia (as well as AMD) tries to optimize their drivers for many games and they release the new drivers pretty often... Intel, however, is not very committed to such things (optimizations for wide range of games and frequent driver release), regardless of their future "promises".

But will it be enough to matter? Let's split the difference and say Haswell performs like a GT640, do AMD and Nvidia have anything coming out in the next 3 or 4 months that will draw the same amount of power but perform like a 670?

All i see out there right now is a 730M that is listed to perform like a 640M. AMD has an 8000 series chip out but the only machine I've seen it in is the poster child for all that is wrong with the PC laptop industry.

I know there is a lot of time until Haswell is out, but the press releases, roadmaps and lack of any new architecture on the horizon leave me with a distinct "meh" feeling.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 am

Got a new one to watch, the Clevo W230ST. I actually prefer the 11.6" form factor to 13.3" but this sure looks nice in a lot of ways. I'll be jealous of the backlit keyboard for sure. Also 1080p is nice but I would be fine with something lesser like 1600x900 at that size and for gaming with a mid-range mobile GPU...

Still waiting for the awesome AMD APU based 11.6"-13.3" gaming laptop... :-?