Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Motorola phones send data home...

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:11 am

Just came across this. I don't know what to say about this stuff any more, but it makes me uncomfortable using these devices.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Motorola phones send data home...

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 am

How do push notifications work for Motorola phones? I remember when Apple made a big deal about how many push notifications THEY send, which seemed to imply they did everything related to notifications on the iPhone. I didn't know if maybe Moto did the same thing. Not defending it, just trying to figure out the why.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:35 am

Anymore I believe that if you are connected to the internet you have no privacy or any reason to think you do. Part of the "price' for all of these devices is your privacy.
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 am

Not suprised

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:09 am

Not surprised. If you leave your GPS enabled on your phone, they will track you.

Pretty much, this is the way I look at it.
If I carry my mobile phone, my carrier will track me.
If I use my company phone/email, my company will monitor it.
If I use my mobile phone/land line/email, the US will track it (PRISM).

Pretty much if I do anything that involves communication, it will be tracked. Every company does this, Motorola is just being a bit more forward with this.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Privacy is the cost of convenience? Nonsense. Just don't use the factory ROM. Ever.

Audit the GIT yourself, too, for extra security.

(This is mildly ironic sarcasm.)
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:08 pm

The guys at CM are implementing some things called Privacy Guard and Koush is working on a cross-platform secure messaging service. Since nearly everyone uses CM as a base for AOSP, Android custom ROMs are about to get a lot better at this stuff really soon.

Privacy Guard is already in CM nightlies, not sure about stable version though. Pretty cool stuff.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Looks similar to "Carrier IQ" implementation... Personally I just stopped worrying about the whole "manufacturers/Google are spying on you!" thing - it was happening before, is still happening and will still be happening in future and as long as I don't lose any $$$ or get more spam because of it - I don't really care.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people