Tips and tricks for first time android user

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Tips and tricks for first time android user

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:51 pm

I'm upgrading from my iPhone 5 to an HTC one in the next week or so, and I'm looking for suggestions for apps and tweaks and such to make my experience as smooth and worry free as possible.

For security, I'm assuming that because android is more open than iOS that its more vulnerable to attack or exploitation. Assuming I'm not brilliant when it comes to mobile security, what should I look for and be aware if when it comes to browsing the Internet or the play store and downloading apps? Are there any actual apps that are able to assist in keeping my device safe and secure?

For media, I won't be watching much video outside of YouTube, but I'll be listening to a lot of music (I actually purchased tr 64GB version of the HTC one specifically for this reason). I've read that the stock music player on the One does not support FLAC, so I'm looking for a player that is snappy, responsive, and supports lossless playback in any format possible

I'm not too concerned about battery life, as ill be using a Mophie Juice Pack case with the phone, but I do want the phone to be responsive and fluid in everything I do with it. Are there any tweaks to the settings that you can suggest that would help improve the responsiveness of the phone (if it needs it, I've only been hands on with the device a couple of times and never really stressed it to where it would slow down)

Thanks for any assistance you can provide

Also what other apps would you recommend out of personal experience? (Anything you can recommend, I wanna explore what the platform is capable of)
internetsandman
Gerbil

Re: Tips and tricks for first time android user

Postposted on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:12 pm

For security - first of all, try to not install anything from other than Google Play sources. Just because you can - doesn't mean you should :wink: Aside from that there are plenty of antimalware programs which has almost no effect on performance or battery life. I prefer the "Lookout" app - it is free, completely automated and has good detection rates.

For music/video player - MX Player plays just about everything.

For "responsiveness" - it is lightning fast in its stock form, even with " Power Saver" option (which throttles down the CPU) enabled.

For other apps - just browse the Google Play store, you'll find plenty. All depends on your needs. Just wanna mention a couple of them: as a flashlight app I prefer TeslaLED - it is free and has no built-in Ads, and for Apple's "Find Friends" replacement there's an excellent app called "Life360", which does the same and is cross-platform and free. Oh, and for Apple's "find my iPhone" service - Android devices now have same service directly from Google themselves:
http://officialandroid.blogspot.sg/2013 ... droid.html

Also, before you finally switch off your iPhone - don't forget to disable "iMessage" setting on it, otherwise you won't be receiving any SMS messages on your new Android phone from your iPhone-using friends :wink:
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for that advice! I'm just trying to figure out one more important detail: the best way to transfer contact information from my iPhone to my HTC one. I'm not jailbroken and I don't have a gmail account (unless I automatically get one with a google account) so I figured transferring via SIM card would be the best way about it, but I can't figure that out either. Any advice?
internetsandman
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:44 am

If you got it through a store, they may be able to assist in transfering SIM card info between phones. They did so for mine when I upgraded to the GS3 from an ancient flip phone.

I use PowerAMP for music. It features pretty much everything that standard desktop media players do: queue's/playlists, browse by folder, EQ, etc. Some of the music player apps out there are really garbage, but you'll have to try what you can to see what suits your needs.

I'd say that Cyanogenmod or other AOSP-based ROMs would speed things up, but probably not that much. And for a first time Android user, it's not a good recommendation to make at least until you become more familiar with it and/or need root and other capabilities.
C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Both Lookout and Avast mobile are good for security. They also have anti-theft mechanisms built in as well, so that you can remotely lock, trigger an alarm, or find it by GPS. Paid versions also have remote wipe, and other tools to completely erase any data on your phone in case it gets stolen.

ES file browser is pretty good at looking at your files, and it comes with built in media viewers and players that work for a lot of formats.

If you do decide to install apps from outside of google play such as Ad block plus, make sure its from a reputable website. Adblock plus used to available from the play store, but it is no longer available. You have to get it from a 3rd party source now if you like to block ads. https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install.

If you are using an open wireless to communicate anything that's private, or potentiolly sensitive, I would suggest using the TOR network if you aren't using the HTTPS protocol. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en
CB5000
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 pm

internetsandman wrote:The best way to transfer contact information from my iPhone to my HTC one. I'm not jailbroken and I don't have a gmail account (unless I automatically get one with a google account)

The best way to transfer the contacts is to setup a Gmail account and import them into that. You're going to have to setup a Gmail account to use the Google Play server, so you might as well get started.

Some of my favorite Android apps:
Firefox
Keep
Soundhound
Weather
ASTRO File Manager
Google Goggles
Field Trip
Xabber
Zagat
AndSMB
Wifi Analyzer
Device Analyzer
Wi-Fi Analytics

Edit: Also, Winamp Pro supports FLAC.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:55 pm

Make sure to get Swype!
Intel I7-2600k, Asus P8P67, 16GB DDR3 1600mhz, Geforce GTX 780, ASUS Xonar D2, Samsung Evo 250GB, Western Digital Black 1TB, Corsair HX750w
Omniman
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Omniman wrote:Make sure to get Swype!
Or Google Keyboard, or Swiftkey, or a slew of other options. That's the beauty of Android. :)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:46 am

C-A_99 wrote:I'd say that Cyanogenmod or other AOSP-based ROMs would speed things up, but probably not that much.

Not really, no. HTC One is extremely fast in stock form and by using different ROMs you'll be getting rid of HTC Sense launcher and BlinkFeed - two major things that make HTC One "unique" and very convenient to use. Not to mention various other HTC apps like the awesome stock TV guide or the camera app which can create Zoes. I actually tried different ROMs with different launchers/widgets but went back to "stock" HTC version with stock HTC Sense as it does almost everything I want and the few minor drawbacks (not being able to customize icons or "software" button actions with stock launcher) do not really bother me that much.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Well I got the HTC One and....it doesn't turn on. No response even when plugged into power. Probably gonna either ask for an exchange or a refund, given that Apple's announcing their new iPhones in a few days and I might just decide to upgrade, if the screen and capacities are good enough (might look for 128GB this time around, dunno)

Edit: I plugged it in to my computers USB port (before I was using a USB wall outlet which works on my current iPhone), and I have a blinking red LED coming out of the top now. Still nothing happens when power button is held....and as i was writing this it turned on. I'm glad it was just a false alarm
internetsandman
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Sounds like it got turned on during shipping, or the battery just plain got to 0% somehow. Like iDevices, if you do get the battery down super-low, it has to charge for a while with no visible feedback before it has enough juice to turn on the charging LEDs and such.
I've been here long enough that I think I can forgo a signature.
Forge
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Can't say much on HTC Sense, since I haven't used it, but TouchWiz (at least from AT&T/VZW) comes loaded with all sorts of carrier bloatware that can't be removed or disabled. I don't want AT&T maps sitting around, and I don't trust the stock ROM's tethering functions. (And I don't want to have to use another app for it.)

What are you looking for in a "better" screen? Most Android phones use the standard 720p (or for some, 1080p) resolutions, and a lot of video sources are at that resolution. However, the iPhone is better for those who prefer smaller screens. If you need capacity, MicroSD slots are the way to go, particularly if you value your spending. Google managed to release an otherwise decent phone with 8 GB (showing how importantly they regard users' varying storage capacity needs) of memory onboard, and the Apple tax for an additional 48 GB on the iPhone reaches $260 on the 5S, similar to the pricing point per GB for PCI-e SSD's. (The difference is that those prices are falling and Apple's are not.) If high capacity's important, definitely need a MicroSD slot.

Speaking of which, before mobile devices went big, when was the last time anyone saw something with a quad core CPU and less than 120 GB of storage? Yes, NAND costs a bit more per GB than HDD's, but it's caught up a long way. We're well below $1/GB already, which is very close to where the HDD was back then.

Charging from the wall for long charges is better anyways. Computers' USB ports charge too slowly when the battery's low.
C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:32 pm

Yeah, try charging it from the wall before returning it. It's generally a good idea to do a full charge on a new device anyway, who knows how long it's been sitting around.

As for apps...I like XBMC for Android for all-around media playback. It's general purpose and may not have quite all the tweaks of some audio-only programs, but it's got a good interface and works well as the only media app you need.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Return to Mobile Tech