Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Re: Today's iPhone 5S/5C announcement

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Buub wrote:
The fingerprint sensor looks like a pretty impressive implementation.

You can't be serious... At least I hope you're not. Have you ever used consumer-grade fingerprint sensors before? Have you watched the Mythbusters episode about them? Have you ever had your finger damaged by cutting it or burning it or using some kind of chemicals which may cause skin peeling? Have you ever used gloves?

Speaking of gloves - one thing Nokia did right is to allow people to increase the display sensitivity to the point where you can use your smartphone even with gloves. So did Xiaomi with their latest MI3: http://en.miui.com/thread-7486-1-1.html Unsurprisingly Apple has nothing to answer that with :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:48 pm

I was hoping for a "Just one more thing..." where they put a phone in and updated iPad Mini.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 pm

JohnC wrote:
Buub wrote:
The fingerprint sensor looks like a pretty impressive implementation.

You can't be serious... At least I hope you're not. Have you ever used consumer-grade fingerprint sensors before? Have you watched the Mythbusters episode about them? Have you ever had your finger damaged by cutting it or burning it or using some kind of chemicals which may cause skin peeling? Have you ever used gloves?

Agreed. Work experience with thumb-sensor laptops (Toshiba, then pre-Lenovo IBM) was uniformly dismal. After a pile of gripes they gave up and gave us back the 3-finger salute to unlock our machines.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:08 pm

I am not a fan of Nokia but this was awesome (taken from today's Nokia tweet):

Motorola can say the same with their new Moto X :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

windwalker
Gerbil First Class

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:10 pm

LOL, the sour grapes are out in force as usual.

64 bit is pointless … because … ehm … it's just a phone.
To Android users it may just be, iPhone users actually use all the fancy features because they are well implemented.

And the fingerprint sensor sucks … because it sucked on my old Lenovo.
Apple couldn't have made a much better implementation … again? Please, say it isn't so!

And the colours! How dare they? Nokia should sue!

Enjoy holding your breath while you keep waiting for the rest of the world to "wake up" and see how open source is the only one true God.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:30 pm

You seem terribly vexed, my friend! Don't be! Remember what Tyler Durden said about obsession with material things? Anyways, here are some kittens for you to make you feel better! XOXO!

Sent from my iPad

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:49 pm

JohnC wrote:
I can throw graphs at you too. Not sure what's the point of it, though.

End User wrote:
Big push into China this year. China is a launch country. My guess is that sales for the upcoming year will be big across the board.

:lol: You honestly believe majority of people there will prefer an "original" iPhone over much cheaper Android-powered local clone (which can be made to look and function exactly like "original" iPhone for people who prefer that)?

Just because you come up with some statistics, doesn't mean you know how to use them. The image you linked is worldwide market share. Naturally, Apple is going to have a much smaller market share because of A) a LOT of people are unable to afford the full price of an iPhone and B) not every carrier in the world has the iPhone. This is why Android and open source dominates. I'm honestly not surprised that Android's worldwide market share is that high compared to iOS. I figured it would be a lot more.

You get a clearer picture here.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:01 pm

I think that the iPhone 5C is going to be a huge flop. In China, the fact that the iPhone is overpriced makes it even more of a status symbol. When you've got a luxury brand, you don't sell on affordability. You sell on exclusivity.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
go full...

I am absolutely appalled by your words.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Jive wrote:
The image you linked is worldwide market share.

Whoa, dude... Really? :o Thanks for opening my eyes! It's not like I could've read that fact from an IDC article or something... Thanks, bro!

Jive wrote:
not every carrier in the world has the iPhone.

Yes, yes, and you cannot buy it without carriers!

Jive wrote:

The planet Earth consists of USA and a few minor islands with a dozen of savages living there! You heard it here first, folks! 'murica, **** yea!

P.S: I still cannot comprehend why other people cannot comprehend what I actually wrote in the last sentence of that post... :-?

windwalker
Gerbil First Class

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:17 pm

You hope that the iPhone 5C is going to be a huge flop.
That's OK, after all, you're just an engineer. You understand machines, not people.

The iPhone 5C is still very expensive, so your whole "argument" looks even more ridiculous.

End User

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:24 pm

JohnC wrote:

My graph showed Apple gaining marketshare in a key market.

JohnC wrote:
End User wrote:
Big push into China this year. China is a launch country. My guess is that sales for the upcoming year will be big across the board.

:lol: You honestly believe majority of people there will prefer an "original" iPhone over much cheaper Android-powered local clone (which can be made to look and function exactly like "original" iPhone for people who prefer that)?

Did I say majority? No, I did not. I believe that Apples sales in China will increase thanks, in part, to China being a launch country for the 5c and 5s. This will contribute to an overall increase in sales over to that of the past year.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:32 pm

windwalker wrote:
You hope that the iPhone 5C is going to be a huge flop.

Putting your own words in other people's mouths is not a very positive personal quality. Just sayin'.

End User wrote:
JohnC wrote:

My graph showed Apple gaining marketshare in a key market.

I know that.
JohnC wrote:
P.S: I still cannot comprehend why other people cannot comprehend what I actually wrote in the last sentence of that post... :-?

End User wrote:
I believe this will contribute to an overall increase in sales over to that of the past year.

I don't. Let's wait a year and see.
Last edited by JohnC on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windwalker
Gerbil First Class

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:33 pm

In every single market where iPhone sells at the same price levels as Android phones, iPhone has equal or greater share than Android.
iPhone is 70 — 80 % at AT&T, 50 — 60 % at Verizon (started from 0% 30 months ago).

The higher the initial cost is in a market the lower is the iPhone share.
The conclusion is clear: at the same price point, iPhone preference crushes Android.
It's obvious the vast majority of people believes it is the better product, but some of them cannot or are not willing to pay more for it.

PixelArmy
Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:53 pm

windwalker wrote:
64 bit is pointless … because … ehm … it's just a phone.
To Android users it may just be, iPhone users actually use all the fancy features because they are well implemented.

The iPhone 5 and the 4th gen iPad have 1GB ram. I don't know the 5S specs but the most I expect it to have is 2GB (I'd probably lean toward it still having 1GB). So none of these devices even comes close to 4GB, nor is processing massive data sets something you do on these devices. Hell, desktop users barely utilize 64-bit processing. You might be able to argue some parallel instructions, but that's really stretching it.

But please enlighten us as to these features that need 64-bit processing.

End User

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm

PixelArmy wrote:

I think this is Apple laying the groundwork for the future. iOS is based on OS X and I think Apple wants to quickly push every iOS and OS X developer to produce 64-bit only apps. The majority of current apps may not need 64-bit now but when Apple decides to axe 32-bit support, sometime in the next few years, there will be next to no trouble doing so.

End User

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:40 pm

JohnC wrote:
End User wrote:
I believe this will contribute to an overall increase in sales over to that of the past year.

I don't. Let's wait a year and see.

Q1 2014 will tell the tale.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:43 pm

End User wrote:
PixelArmy wrote:

I think this is Apple laying the groundwork for the future. iOS is based on OS X and I think Apple wants to quickly push every iOS and OS X developer to produce 64-bit only apps. The majority of current apps may not need 64-bit now but when Apple decides to axe 32-bit support, sometime in the next few years, there will be next to no trouble doing so.

This- it's not 'why 64bit?', it's 'why not 64bit?'. Might as well get it out of the way while it's easy :).

Also, on the r* comment, look up the meme (if you weren't already aware of it). I don't mean to demean anyone with that.

End User

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Also, on the r* comment, look up the meme (if you weren't already aware of it). I don't mean to demean anyone with that.

The phrase you used is reprehensible. The fact that it is used at all is appalling.

End User

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
End User wrote:
PixelArmy wrote:

This- it's not 'why 64bit?', it's 'why not 64bit?'. Might as well get it out of the way while it's easy :).

More commonly referred to as planning ahead.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:53 pm

End User wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

The phrase you used is reprehensible. The fact that it is used at all is appalling.

Judge if you like- I've apologized for the offense. Keep going, I'll look up that meme for you 8).

End User

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
I'll look up that meme for you

I know the meme. You think that makes it ok?

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:26 pm

JohnC wrote:
Jive wrote:
The image you linked is worldwide market share.

Whoa, dude... Really? :o Thanks for opening my eyes! It's not like I could've read that fact from an IDC article or something... Thanks, bro!

Your smart ass may know this fact but the readers of this forum wouldn't because you didn't link a source. But you intended to mislead them anyways.

JohnC wrote:
Jive wrote:
not every carrier in the world has the iPhone.

Yes, yes, and you cannot buy it without carriers!

Umm...yes you can. Locked/unlocked iPhone not the same thing as a carrier not being fully compatible with the iPhone, i.e. China Mobile.

JohnC wrote:
Jive wrote:

The planet Earth consists of USA and a few minor islands with a dozen of savages living there! You heard it here first, folks! 'murica, **** yea!

Yep...'murica

JohnC wrote:

We are just intellectually inferior peasants not capable of your genius.

JohnC wrote:

You obviously have no idea materialistic today's urban Chinese society is. Kids will blow their entire Chinese New Years monetary gifts on a stupid phone.

Also, i had an Android phone for 3 years, I did customize/skin/theme/root the phone to my pleasings. It ended up not being worth it for me personally as the utility of customization was not greater than the utility decrease i experienced in a phone not working properly/smoothly. Not everyone values customization.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:42 pm

End User wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

That depends on a lot of things. Did I mean it in the way you took offense to it? Not likely. Do I still mean it the way I posted it? Yup. Am I sorry that I offended you? Yes. I apologized above.

I was just leaving open the possibility that you hadn't seen the meme I was referencing in that post- but since you have, well, now you just sound like a tight-ass. But you do have the right to be offended :D.

End User

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
End User wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

Did I mean it in the way you took offense to it? Not likely.

It's offensive. The fact that you don't see it that way is depressing.

Airmantharp wrote:
now you just sound like a tight-ass.

I know someone who would be deeply hurt by those words.

I'm not going to say anything more about it. You always want to have the last word so I'll let you have at it.

PixelArmy
Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:19 pm

End User wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
End User wrote:

More commonly referred to as planning ahead.

If it is planning ahead for sometime in the next few years, then it is a checkbox feature for this iPhone release. Which is my point, right now it is merely there to market MOAR BITS!

It is telling that while they state everything built in has been recompiled, they don't elaborate on how this improves those applications... You know if there were tangible benefits, they would shout it from the rooftops...

Lastly, "planning ahead" and "why not?" are not an actual features (though I will file those away as a catch all for anytime anyone releases anything of questionable value). Flat out, what are these features or apps that would benefit from 64-bit processing for use on a phone or tablet? I mean it's been a decade since AMD intro'd it on the desktop, surely we'd be able to have some examples that are relevant on a phone. Come on, it shouldn't be that hard to name a few, eh? :lol:

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:47 pm

End User wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
End User wrote:

Did I mean it in the way you took offense to it? Not likely.

It's offensive. The fact that you don't see it that way is depressing.

Airmantharp wrote:
now you just sound like a tight-ass.

I know someone who would be deeply hurt by those words.

I'm not going to say anything more about it. You always want to have the last word so I'll let you have at it.

If you take offense that easily to things you read, you may want to stop interneting.

End User

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:55 pm

PixelArmy wrote:
right now it is merely there to market MOAR BITS!

If you've got it, flaunt it.

BIF

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:02 am

Jive wrote:
If you're disappointed, why follow the presentation and why post about it?

What, is there a new rule now that you are not allowed to post if you are disappointed? I missed that memo.