Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Today's iPhone 5S/5C announcement

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:06 am

I didn't get to see the full dog and pony show, but I like the idea of 64-bit.

Come on, let's make everything homogenous. A RAID in every box and 24-core processors for EVERYBODY!

Sure, it's not "required". But why not, what are we, wimps? Go for it, order the BIG sandwich for a change. :)

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:29 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I think that the iPhone 5C is going to be a huge flop. In China, the fact that the iPhone is overpriced makes it even more of a status symbol. When you've got a luxury brand, you don't sell on affordability. You sell on exclusivity.

Not likely, the free and $100 slots have been filled by the previous 2 generations of iPhones for years. They're just replacing the phone 5's $100 spot in the line-up with an improved model that'll hold up better to most peoples abuse. Which should be welcome news to that crowd, I've replaced countless back glass panels on the 4 and 4s for the standard low end consumers that don't take care of their phone well enough to not break an iPhone.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

trackerben

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:20 am

I'm surprised they didn't call it the iPhone 6 what with its next-generation hardware and deeply refreshed OS.

There's a twice-faster proc complex and vastly improved OpenGL performance, unprecedented motion-patterns asic, and 64-bit app architecture optimized for task-immediacy under load stress. The signature ergonomics and upgraded stabilized camera and battery were all as expected. But if Apple got the touch biometrics and temp-matching LEDs right, these will become highly appreciated firsts for consumers. What the iPhone line still stupidly lacks is a dual SIM version and standard microUSB. Conformal flash memory expansion would also be nice but that's solvable with another $99 or so anyway. The free iWorks is a great giveaway, but I'll still be waiting for Office for iOS.

The hardware in the 5C shows little generational improvement but the designer soft/hardware scheme is very polished in the manner of Nokia's higher-end offerings. It will likely sell in great numbers given its better battery life and wireless connectivity.

End User

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:38 am

trackerben wrote:
I'm surprised they didn't call it the iPhone 6 what with its next-generation hardware and deeply refreshed OS.

Apple has established their own tick-tock strategy: 3G->3GS->4->4S->5->5s->6->6s...

The number increase indicates a major change and the s indicates a spec bump.

windwalker
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:02 am

The hilarity continues.
As soon as Apple releases something that leaves all competitors eating dust again, everyone suddenly stops being ultra knowledgeable nerds and can't even understand why a 64 bit CPU is any big deal.

It's apparently enough to yet again deliver 100% single threaded performance improvement in one year.
How do you like them Apples?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:07 am

End User wrote:
trackerben wrote:

Apple has established their own tick-tock strategy: 3G->3GS->4->4S->5->5s->6->6s...

The number increase indicates a major change and the s indicates a spec bump.

What's amusing is that on the front page Apple fanatics are arguing that this is a major change, and here in the forum you're calling it a spec bump.

What you mean is the number increase indicates a shift in outward appearance, but oh, wait, the 5c is literally just that, a shift in outward appearance.

The numbering scheme makes zero sense.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

End User

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:54 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
What's amusing is that on the front page Apple fanatics are arguing that this is a major change, and here in the forum you're calling it a spec bump.

The "s" indicates that you've got a better engine/transmission/suspension (The Z06 vs the base Corvette). The number bump is a brand new car (Corvette C6 to C7).

derFunkenstein wrote:
What you mean is the number increase indicates a shift in outward appearance, but oh, wait, the 5c is literally just that, a shift in outward appearance.

The 5c is just a multi coloured 5.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:59 am

So there was no hardware change between the 4s and the 5? The A6 is really just an A5, I guess.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

End User

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:02 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
So there was no hardware change between the 4s and the 5? The A6 is really just an A5, I guess.

Sigh.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:05 am

I'm immune to car analogies. I work from home so all I have is a beater - a 1999 Ford Contour. My wife has a minivan. Fast cars are of no interest.

Actually I'm pretty sure we wound up with the number scheme that we have today because the 2nd iPhone got the number 3 because it gained 3G capabilities. What were they going to call the iPhone 3? They already used 3G. So we got 3GS. They had a chance to make sense (and momentarily did so) with 4. And then it went to hell in a handbasket, because iOS's numbering scheme doesn't match up with the devices. It's time for The New iPhone With No Number, kind of like the iPad.

End User

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:07 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
It's time for The New iPhone With No Number, kind of like the iPad.

I agree.

trackerben

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:29 am

How about iPentium? iPhone 6of9?
Last edited by trackerben on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

trackerben

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:33 am

End User wrote:
...The number increase indicates a major change and the s indicates a spec bump.

If that's how Apple sees the next-generation 5s then the coming 6 (and 6C?) would be even more special.

David

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:20 pm

jss21382 wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
I think that the iPhone 5C is going to be a huge flop. In China, the fact that the iPhone is overpriced makes it even more of a status symbol. When you've got a luxury brand, you don't sell on affordability. You sell on exclusivity.

Not likely, the free and $100 slots have been filled by the previous 2 generations of iPhones for years. They're just replacing the phone 5's $100 spot in the line-up with an improved model that'll hold up better to most peoples abuse. Which should be welcome news to that crowd, I've replaced countless back glass panels on the 4 and 4s for the standard low end consumers that don't take care of their phone well enough to not break an iPhone.

China is (according to "experts") really big on material status symbols and the 5c has the potential to diminish the value of the brand. It'll probably do fine worldwide, but maybe not as well in China as Apple hopes.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:51 pm

David wrote:
jss21382 wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

China is (according to "experts") really big on material status symbols and the 5c has the potential to diminish the value of the brand. It'll probably do fine worldwide, but maybe not as well in China as Apple hopes.

They can always buy the gold 5s. :D

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:33 pm

JohnC wrote:
I can throw graphs at you too. Not sure what's the point of it, though.

D00d, you drive an ugly German piece of junk (which makes a pitiful 450hp from a monster 6.3L engine - pathetic for 2010s) and you get to have an opinion? No, for real, how does this happen? And how can anyone ever even consider it due to this fact? I'd love to know. :evil:

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:13 pm

trackerben wrote:
End User wrote:
...The number increase indicates a major change and the s indicates a spec bump.

If that's how Apple sees the next-generation 5s then the coming 6 (and 6C?) would be even more special.

What would be really special would be a Note-style phablet from Apple, and soon.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Omg we get it you want a giant phone.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:46 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Omg we get it you want a giant phone.

Actually, what I want is to not have two or three mobile devices; but this is really just a wish-list, though there's no real reason for someone not to build it today.

I want a big screen for multiple reasons- not that I have huge hands, but after using the Note, you do get used to it. As silly as we all thought it'd be to put the Note up to one's ear and use it like a phone, I find it to be natural. And while I was worried that it wouldn't fit in a normal pocket or would be uncomfortable to carry around (and I only carry my phone in front pockets), a rep at the AT&T store let me see if it would fit, and low and behold, in it went. No worries there.

But why a larger screen? Well, because, like many people I know and many people I see, I use my 'phone' mostly as anything but. So, while Apple's 4" screen size really is perfect for a phone and MID, doing anything else really benefits from the screen area. For example:

-I use my Note as my GPS. With the windshield mount, I have the best GPS software in the world (Google Maps and Waze), attached to the best search engine in the world, on one of the, uhm, 'better' networks in the world (AT&T).
-For mobile web browsing, the larger the screen and the greater the number of pixels, the better. Apple has the DPI thing down pat, but if you need to actually interact with web pages, you find yourself quickly wanting a bigger screen.
-I use my phone in conjunction with my DSLR; even the 800p panel on the Note embarrasses the tiny 3" screen on the back of the camera. As well it should; putting a larger screen on a DSLR either means you have a larger DSLR or you give up manual controls, neither of which is preferable.

Why a stylus?
-Primarily, because apps like Photoshop have already been developed for mobile devices, making photo editing on the go quite real. I was able to take a solid portrait of a brother and a sister at a convention with my DSLR, edit the shot for exposure and white balance fine-tuning (hotel lighting is among the worst- and it's quite variable), and then email it to the brother. That's just badass.
-Finger-input is awesome for navigation, but if you actually need to 'write' or 'draw', you want a stylus. I don't use it much on the Note given Samsung's horrific software load (even after switching launchers), but I'd love to use it much more, if I had a device worth using it on.

Why an IR transmitter?
-I think phones should be our universal remotes- period. I want a phone that can control every HT-like device I run across, be it over BT, IR, WiFi, or something else. There's just no reason for that not to be the norm. We're quickly getting there, but so many phones/tablets ship without well-implemented IR capability, or any at all.

Why not just get a tablet?
-I'm thinking about it, and if I do, then I'd probably get a 5S next year when the 6 is announced/released. Basically whenever it goes on sale. But the tablet would have to conform to my above requirements, and I've yet to see one of those, either.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:05 pm

It's not secret I don't care for Apple but I was really hoping to see them come out with an affordable phone. Oh well, guess I should have known better...

End User

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
I want a big screen

Rumours are that Apple is testing displays as large as 6". I'm guessing larger iPhones will be out next year.

Airmantharp wrote:
I use my Note as my GPS. With the windshield mount, I have the best GPS software in the world (Google Maps and Waze), attached to the best search engine in the world, on one of the, uhm, 'better' networks in the world (AT&T).

I'm seriously considering something like this paired with an iPad mini (using Google Maps and Waze) for my next road trip.

Airmantharp wrote:
For mobile web browsing, the larger the screen and the greater the number of pixels, the better. Apple has the DPI thing down pat, but if you need to actually interact with web pages, you find yourself quickly wanting a bigger screen.

I've got a Nexus 7 and it's not significantly better than my iPhone 5 for browsing when I'm mobile and I prefer my 10.1" iPad for when I am at work or at home.

Airmantharp wrote:
Why a stylus?
-Primarily, because apps like Photoshop have already been developed for mobile devices, making photo editing on the go quite real. I was able to take a solid portrait of a brother and a sister at a convention with my DSLR, edit the shot for exposure and white balance fine-tuning (hotel lighting is among the worst- and it's quite variable), and then email it to the brother. That's just badass.
-Finger-input is awesome for navigation, but if you actually need to 'write' or 'draw', you want a stylus. I don't use it much on the Note given Samsung's horrific software load (even after switching launchers), but I'd love to use it much more, if I had a device worth using it on.

Apple will never sell a phone/tablet with a stylus. You'll have to rely on third parties for that functionality or buy another brand of device.

Airmantharp wrote:
Why an IR transmitter?
-I think phones should be our universal remotes- period. I want a phone that can control every HT-like device I run across, be it over BT, IR, WiFi, or something else. There's just no reason for that not to be the norm. We're quickly getting there, but so many phones/tablets ship without well-implemented IR capability, or any at all.

Apple will never ship a product with an IR transmitter. Frankly, that is dead tech. Our home devices should feed into our networks - control should be via an app. Nest is a great example.

Airmantharp wrote:
Why not just get a tablet?
-I'm thinking about it, and if I do, then I'd probably get a 5S next year when the 6 is announced/released. Basically whenever it goes on sale. But the tablet would have to conform to my above requirements, and I've yet to see one of those, either.

The Surface Pro 2 is calling out your name.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm waiting on those larger iDevices; they'll have to deliver aplomb, of course, but the market's ready. And I'd hope that they'd give in to styli, especially considering their bent on everything media, and even more especially as Adobe readies a mobile version of Lightroom; which hopefully will have a broad range of connectivity options, and allow for RAW processing on mobile devices.

As for the IR thing- well, I agree that it's legacy technology, but it's also still very much here. It's not like new HT equipment ships without it, today; and in addition to HT equipment, it's also very prevalent on cameras.

Now, using a tablet for navigation? Sure! But I'd have to buy a tablet, first, and then I'd have a tablet on the dash and a phone in the pocket.

So really, I'd prefer a phablet. Small enough to fit in my pocket, large enough to fit a broad range of uses, and equipped to handle everything. And I don't care who makes it or what OS runs on it, as long as it has the features and the apps I'm looking for.

*Edit: And for Surface Pro 2- I'm looking forward to that. Long run times, higher resolution IPS panel, real Windows (and thus real Lightroom/Photoshop), and stylus input; all good here. It'd just better be good, real good. Like, it better have expandable storage, more memory, and a full swath of wired and wireless connectivity options- USB3, TB, and 802.11ac, I'm looking at you. And it'd better have the full-fat Iris GPU. Just sayin'.

End User

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Adobe readies a mobile version of Lightroom

Interesting.

Edit: Ah, yes. I remember that now. I think I'm definitely going to sign up for the Photoshop Photography Program as it comes with 20GB of cloud storage (storage that can be shared with Lightroom for iOS). :)

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:52 pm

End User wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

Interesting.

Pure speculation on my part of course, but if they're not, they'd might as well just shut their doors. They already have a mobile Photoshop, and it's not like RAW processing actually takes a lot of resources. The crappy processors DSLR makers use already do it at lightening speed, and mobile SoCs are already 'fusion'-style devices that can farm much of that work out to their GPUs and other dedicated processors. Oh, and I already have Lightroom-style apps on my Note. I just want something that a) can convert RAWs and b) can interface with the camera over both wired and wireless connections, bringing over RAWs and JPEGs as desired. Remote control functionality would be a bonus, but there's already DSLRController for that.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:54 pm

End User wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

Interesting.

Edit: Ah, yes. I remember that now. I think I'm definitely going to sign up for the Photoshop Photography Program as it comes with 20GB of cloud storage (storage that can be shared with Lightroom for iOS). :)

I'd think about joining it if I'd ever bought a full-fat version of Photoshop ever, but I haven't :). Just Elements 9 and 10. Worse still, I already own LR5, and I don't actually need Photoshop- it's just convenient for certain things like hand processing HDR or automatically stitching panoramas.

End User

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Pure speculation on my part of course

It was demoed back in May.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:20 pm

End User wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
Pure speculation on my part of course

It was demoed back in May.

Thought I'd seen something about that, but I also remember dismissing it for some reason. But I'll keep my eye on it, thanks :).

trackerben

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:21 am

Airmantharp wrote:
What would be really special would be a Note-style phablet from Apple, and soon.

I get your usage pattern, that's what phablets are for. An iPad Mini with dual SIMs would be a great satnav. It would make for a fine meetings tool even without a stylus, although upcoming Bay Trail convertibles like the Asus T100 might be even better. Google Maps is great for navigation and pre-trip route planning, but it doesn't store enough offline mapdata for long drives. Apps like TomTom or MotionX GPS would be handy for those times. I usually keep an older iPhone handy as a hotspot football and secondary phone to pass around as needed.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Synchromesh wrote:
JohnC wrote:
I can throw graphs at you too. Not sure what's the point of it, though.

D00d, you drive an ugly German piece of junk (which makes a pitiful 450hp from a monster 6.3L engine - pathetic for 2010s) and you get to have an opinion? No, for real, how does this happen? And how can anyone ever even consider it due to this fact? I'd love to know. :evil:

:(
Do you really want to hurt me?
Do you really want to make me cry?
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:18 am

I kinda hate to bump this pointless thread, but... To the children still believing in fairy tales about Apple and China:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2013- ... 963223.htm

"Apple Inc's new iPhone devices are unlikely to stall the company's falling sales in China in the short term after many Chinese expressed disappointment with the newly unveiled products and dropped plans to buy one.

Apple launched its long-awaited new devices iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C on Tuesday in Cupertino, California, where its headquarters are located. The iPhone 5S is equipped with a faster processor, a better camera and features fingerprint scanning. The starting price for the iPhone 5S is 5,288 yuan ($858) without a contract.

The iPhone 5C, which is described as a cheaper version, retains the same basic technology as the previous iPhone 5 handsets but has a colorful polycarbonate case. The device is believed to be a major move by Apple to gain back its momentum in emerging markets such as China. However, the starting price for the iPhone 5C is 4,488 yuan, far beyond the prices of lower-end smartphones in China, which can cost as little as 1,000 yuan each"

Just FYI, 4488 yuan is $733 US dollars.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people