Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Today's iPhone 5S/5C announcement

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:25 pm

JohnC wrote:
I kinda hate to bump this pointless thread, but... To the children still believing in fairy tales about Apple and China:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2013- ... 963223.htm

"Apple Inc's new iPhone devices are unlikely to stall the company's falling sales in China in the short term after many Chinese expressed disappointment with the newly unveiled products and dropped plans to buy one.

Apple launched its long-awaited new devices iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C on Tuesday in Cupertino, California, where its headquarters are located. The iPhone 5S is equipped with a faster processor, a better camera and features fingerprint scanning. The starting price for the iPhone 5S is 5,288 yuan ($858) without a contract.

The iPhone 5C, which is described as a cheaper version, retains the same basic technology as the previous iPhone 5 handsets but has a colorful polycarbonate case. The device is believed to be a major move by Apple to gain back its momentum in emerging markets such as China. However, the starting price for the iPhone 5C is 4,488 yuan, far beyond the prices of lower-end smartphones in China, which can cost as little as 1,000 yuan each"

Just FYI, 4488 yuan is $733 US dollars.

Apple is doomed!

BTW, the Galaxy S4 is 5,199 yuan and the Note 3 goes for 5,699 yuan. Both of which are far beyond the prices of lower-end smartphones in China, which can cost as little as 1,000 yuan each.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:41 pm

JohnC wrote:
I kinda hate to bump this pointless thread, but... To the children still believing in fairy tales about Apple and China:

"Apple Inc's new iPhone devices are unlikely to stall the company's falling sales in China in the short term after many Chinese expressed disappointment with the newly unveiled products and dropped plans to buy one.

Apple launched its long-awaited new devices iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C on Tuesday in Cupertino, California, where its headquarters are located. The iPhone 5S is equipped with a faster processor, a better camera and features fingerprint scanning. The starting price for the iPhone 5S is 5,288 yuan ($858) without a contract.

The iPhone 5C, which is described as a cheaper version, retains the same basic technology as the previous iPhone 5 handsets but has a colorful polycarbonate case. The device is believed to be a major move by Apple to gain back its momentum in emerging markets such as China. However, the starting price for the iPhone 5C is 4,488 yuan, far beyond the prices of lower-end smartphones in China, which can cost as little as 1,000 yuan each"

Yet sales seem to be doing just fine so far around here...
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/apple/app ... phenomenal

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:27 pm

End User wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Apple is doomed!

BTW, the Galaxy S4 is 5,199 yuan and the Note 3 goes for 5,699 yuan. Both of which are far beyond the prices of lower-end smartphones in China, which can cost as little as 1,000 yuan each.

Yes. But Samsung has cheaper models. Apple doesn't. People in China can also buy something like S6 made by No.1 - a Galaxy S4 clone, for much cheaper price. And I'm sure there will be 5c clones with custom Android ROMs made to look exactly like Apple's own 5c, also for significantly lower than $733 price.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

End User

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:24 am

JohnC wrote:
Yes. But Samsung has cheaper models. Apple doesn't.

I'm sure Samsung is selling a ton of S4's and Note 3's in China.

JohnC wrote:
People in China can also buy something like S6 made by No.1 - a Galaxy S4 clone, for much cheaper price. And I'm sure there will be 5c clones with custom Android ROMs made to look exactly like Apple's own 5c, also for significantly lower than $733 price.

And this is a new problem?

If Apple wanted to sell cheaper phones in China they would. The won't because it would dilute their brand.

trackerben

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:04 am

Apple doesn't need to downmarket in China or anywhere else, they're the most profitable brand by far. But more than profitability are the barriers to entry into the high-end which their success has erected. I can't imagine any company who wouldn't want to be in their shoes marketing-wise, particularly in asia.

Going around boardrooms, parties, clubs/fine restaurants and other elite venues in asian capitals like Hong Kong, Beijing, Manila, and Singapore, I see iOS models and their pricey accessories as the norm. Androids do dominate the overall market. As commodities the cheaper androids are ubiquitous and used by everyone else. This seems to be changing slowly in favor of some of Samsung's Notes and Nokia's Lumias, but only among the younger demographic of students and tech sellers. Wealthy asian elites, especially Chinese entrepot businessmen and the propertied, can be very hierarchichal in their social relationships. Most wouldn't be caught outside their homes and workplaces using stuff used by "everyone else".

Status in brand association drives loyalty behaviors now that smartphone tech is pervasive. The practice of laying down late-model iPhones on the table in a social setting got its legs among asia's "dragon" set. This act instantly signifies status and invites inclusiveness like nothing else. I've seen people in the society pages going around ballrooms excitedly asking about or showing off each other's latest. Apple's useability and featureset commonality enables the average owner to playfully engage others on their own idevices without stumbling and looking clueless while doing so. This advantage may seem petty but it factors a lot in the overriding asian need to save face and look educated and up-to-date.

Apple iPhones have long replaced old high-end Nokias as standard gear for executives working with investment and wealth management firms and other finance houses facing high-net-worth audiences. These top marketers wouldn't easily achieve the right kind of presentation otherwise with their monied and industrial clients. Incidently, I noticed for some time that Apple's stylish culture provides an ice-breaker for wary asian singles to approach and chat up each other over the latest apps. Outside of personal luxury items and cars and perhaps golf, I can think of few other brand phenomena which reflect asian AB market behaviors so readily.
Last edited by trackerben on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:31 am

trackerben wrote:
Apple iPhones have long replaced old high-end Nokias as standard gear for executives working with investment and wealth management firms and other finance houses facing high-net-worth audiences

Do you know the saying by George Santayana?
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

trackerben

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:04 am

JohnC wrote:
Do you know the saying by George Santayana?

I much prefer Mark Twain's take, "History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

End User

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:50 pm

iPhone 5s/5c sales are so good that Apple had to inform the SEC of the bump in the forecast of expected revenue.