Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Strange Laptop Wifi Behavior

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Compaq Presario CQ60 here. It's one of my older computers but I still use it now and then. Wifi is controlled by a button instead of a switch.

The wifi would always turn on automatically upon boot, then one day, I installed Ubuntu (under Wubi, forgot which version), and it stopped doing this, having to be pressed manually to turn on.

Later, after some installing/uninstalling of various Ubuntu-based distros (mostly various versions of Lubuntu), the wifi corrected itself and turned on automatically when booting.

Now I reinstalled the old copy of Windows 7 x86, and the incorrect behavior is back. Would anyone have a clue as to where this is controlled? I can't find it anywhere in the BIOS settings, so it looks like it could be an OS bootloader issue, but I can't find anything relevant under Windows' bootloader settings either. (From msconfig at least.)

Also, it has nothing at all to do with the Windows adapter settings, as that's separate from the hardware based control.

Thanks.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Strange Laptop Wifi Behavior

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:05 pm

At this point as long as you can reliably turn it on with the button I'd quit while I was ahead, but I'm lazy.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: Strange Laptop Wifi Behavior

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:22 pm

Sometimes, I hook it up to an external monitor and keyboard/mouse, so I'd rather be able to open the lid, pop the power button, close, and continue.

It looks like I may have missed some chipset drivers; I'm going to see if that fixes it.

Edit: Chipset drivers fix nothing... No idea where this is being controlled, but it has to be somewhere if installing different OS's changes it.