JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

HTC One Max "phablet" officially announced

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:16 pm

I remember someone who was interested in that, so... It is finally announced:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/14/4836 ... nt-scanner
-5.9" display
-Same camera as on original HTC One (minus OIS)
-Same speakers (minus Beats Audio EQ programming)
-Still has Infrared emitter
-Still has aluminum body instead of cheap plastic

No stylus but I'm sure an aftermarket ones will work fine. Also includes the useless fingerprint scanner - not really sure why... Fujitsu has been experimenting with them for many years on their smartphones but other than them no other Android-based company has embraced this unreliable and unnecessary gimmick. Hopefully HTC won't bring this junk to next non-Max HTC One replacement...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: HTC One Max "phablet" officially announced

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:09 pm

JohnC wrote:
Also includes the useless fingerprint scanner - not really sure why... Fujitsu has been experimenting with them for many years on their smartphones but other than them no other Android-based company has embraced this unreliable and unnecessary gimmick. Hopefully HTC won't bring this junk to next non-Max HTC One replacement...

The fingerprint scanner is on the back of the phone. That alone is an instant fail.

From The Verge review of the HTC One Max:

Sitting immediately below the camera lens and requiring a swipe, it pretty much compels you to smudge the lens every time you want to identify yourself. The need for a vertical swipe is also problematic, since your hand’s natural position is at an angle to the sensor, demanding an unnatural and uncomfortable motion to activate it. Inevitably, that leads to regular failures to recognize your epidermic signature.

HOW AWKWARD CAN A FINGERPRINT SCANNER BE? VERY

Equally enervating is the fact that you have to wake the One max from sleep before swiping to unlock it. The whole point of these fingerprint sensors is to speed up security processes, not make them more finicky, and that’s exactly where the HTC One max fails.

Compare the above to The Verge review of the fingerprint scanner from the iPhone 5s:

Using Apple’s Touch ID fingerprint security system feels very much like being in a secret agent movie: you pull the phone out of your pocket, touch the ringed home button (which is now much more tactile, directing your finger to exactly the right spot), and presto — you’re in.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:36 pm

Both Fujitsu and HTC put it on the back because otherwise they would need to either increase the physical size of device or decrease the display size - a drawbacks which are highly undesirable by majority of rational consumers.
Anyway, it doesn't matter where it is located - I have no use for this unreliable and redundant technology either way. I have an extensive personal experience with various fingerprint sensors on various devices (doorlocks/laptops/PCs/smartphones), I never found one which would be acceptably reliable in all type of scenarios. I would rather use a "trusted Bluetooth device" to lock/unlock the device when needed.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:08 pm

JohnC wrote:
I would rather use a "trusted Bluetooth device" to lock/unlock the device when needed.

I'd rather just carry around my finger.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:59 pm

They should really have put a stylus and kept the OIS- but this still looks like it might top the Note 3, which, for now, ticks all of the right boxes. And I hate Samsung, so, I just might be able to live with the One Max :).

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:00 pm

A universal stylus is like $9 or so in many online shops :wink:

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:38 pm

There is a big difference between the Wacom-based S Pen Samsung uses in their Note lineup, and a simple capactive stylus you can use with any phone. Writing and drawing with a proper pressure sensitve stylus like the S Pen is far more like using a real pen on paper.

Anyways, aside from the S Pen, the Note 3 has a faster SoC (Snapdragon 800 vs S600 in the One Max), 3 GiB of RAM instead of 2 in the Max, a removable battery, is a lot lighter, and a camera that will probably take better daylight pictures. The One Max has a bigger screen, albeit in a much larger body thanks to the stereo speakers, the camera might take better pictures at night (or not since HTC dropped OIS), and most people would find the aluminum body to look nicer than the silly pseudo leather on the Note 3. And of course the fingerprint scanner.

Then there is the Amoled vs LCD screens; both technologies have their strenghts and weakness to consider. And there is the software to consider - Touchwiz on the Note is a bit bloated, and rather ugly IMHO, but another launcher & icon pack fix most of the ugly, and the S Pen & Multi window features Samsung has added are really useful. HTC has cleaned Sense quite a bit, but its only stand out "feature" is Blinkfeed, which will be able to be deactivated in the Sense 5.5 coming in the Max.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Good writeup- and that's exactly what I was wondering about the stylus. That's one part of my Note I'd use more if the phone wasn't downright useless most of the time.