Price check on a laptop I have recently upgraded.

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Price check on a laptop I have recently upgraded.

Postposted on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:52 pm

I have a laptop that was sitting around collecting dust and I decided to put some money into it so that it was worth selling. I have put about $70 into it so far. The final specifications are listed below. I will also be including a brand new HP wireless mouse kit, wired keyboard, and a Western Digital My Passport SE 500GB USB 3.0 external drive to help it sell. I have purchased two keyboard replacement keys, a new 500GB internal SATA hard drive, SATA cable and caddy and 4GB of additional RAM. It looks almost mint, no scratches or marks. The mouse pad does not work but everything else does. I was not sure if I should go the Ebay route or try out craigslist and would greatly appreciate feedback on the pros and cons of each. The final specifications are listed below. If you know how much it is worth, I would appreciate it if it is in USD currency.

HP Pavillion G62-340US Notebook PC
AMD P340 2.20GHz VISION Athlon II Processor - Dual Core w/ 1MB L2 Cache
15.6" High-Definiton HP LED BrightView (1366 x 768)
8GB DDR3 RAM (2 DIMM) 8GB Max
500GB Hard Drive 5400rpm
8X DVD±R/RW CD/DVD w/Double Layer Support
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics 2941MB (256mb dedicated)
802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Altec Lansing speakers
Full Size 101-keyboard
Touch Pad w/ On/Off and 2-way scroll ---Does NOT work
5-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader (SD card, Mem Stick, xD)
3 USB 2.0 Ports
1 HDMI Port
1 VGA Port (15-pin)
1 RJ -45 LAN Connector Port
1 Headphone out
1 Microphone-in
65 watt AC Adapter
6-Cell 47WHr Lithium-Ion Battery
HP Webcam with integrated microphone
Windows 7 Professional 64 Operating System
Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus

FREE items included with purchase
500GB Western Digital USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
HP Wireless Mouse Kit
Corded USB Keyboard

If anyone has any input or advice regarding where I should sell this and for how much I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot!
judman89
Gerbil In Training

Re: Price check on a laptop I have recently upgraded.

Postposted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:37 am

Ouch, that's $70 you probably won't see back :(

Used laptop values have really really plummeted recently - I've been eBaying a load of laptops in the last few months and the market for used laptops is DEAD because a new, entry-level laptop comes with all the new features and a warranty. Power consumption has fallen with newer processors so batteries last way longer now and the iGP means that dedicated graphics just don't matter as much, especially graphics as weak as an old HD4250. We're finally seeing cheap new laptops that don't have nasty TN screens like they used to.

New laptops fit into two categories:
  1. thin/light/all-day-battery
  2. Large/high-res screen/high-performance/dedicated graphics that can run modern games at native resolution
Sadly your laptop fills none of those criteria; Sell it as it is and you might get $300 for it if you're lucky, but less than $200 is just as possible.
Sell the extras separately if you don't want them, you'll get more cash overall if you do that.

I know why the market is dead too. People ask their IT department for advice on which laptop to get:
For the last few years we've all been saying "Hey, don't buy used laptops! New ones are both faster and covered under warranty, and they're not even expensive anymore!".
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Mobile Tech