Verizon's Moto X getting 4.4 before other carriers

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Verizon's Moto X getting 4.4 before other carriers

Postposted on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:01 pm

From Motorola's Blog - Some Sweet News: KitKat Comes to Moto X First on Verizon Wireless

Not only is Verizon's variant getting Kit Kat before the Moto X on other carriers, it's getting Kit Kat before the Nexus 4, both Nexus 7s, and Google Play versions of the HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, get their OTA updates.

I'm really surprised. I don't know what the hell has happened, but I don't care. I've been meaning to buy one for a while now to replace my Galaxy Nexus, and this makes me want to get it even more.

In other news, hell has frozen over. The apocalypse is upon us. The end is nigh. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Re: Verizon's Moto X getting 4.4 before other carriers

Postposted on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:21 pm

A coworker was prompted last Friday to update to 4.4 on his S4. He is on sprint.
i7-2600k (4.1Ghz), 16GB DDR3-1600, 6970 2GB, GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, Recon3D Audio (PCI-E), WD 1TB Black (os/programs), WD 2TB Green (games), WD 3TB Green (movies/music), Win 8.1 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance mixes and other goodies! linserv.biz.tm
ClickClick5
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Location: Somewhere in a land the doctor says does not exist...

Postposted on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:55 pm

My guess is the Verizon X is getting it first because they have no other KitKat phones. No CDMA-compatible Nexus available, so they need somethign to stay with the competition.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:01 pm

True, but Verizon is notorious for delayed updates due to "thorough testing to ensure the stability of" their network. Hell, there's no mention of the Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx, or Droid Mini getting the update yet, and they're 99% identical to the Moto X.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:24 pm

Shouldn't people be a little leery of updates making things worse for some of these devices? Would it not be prudent to wait and see for a few weeks before updating?
uni-mitation
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:05 pm

ClickClick5 wrote:A coworker was prompted last Friday to update to 4.4 on his S4. He is on sprint.

That is strange, I am on sprint and I only got prompted to do the 4.3 update on Monday.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.
Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Return to Mobile Tech