Paint for plastic and metal? (Laptop)

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Paint for plastic and metal? (Laptop)

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:37 pm

I want to customize my laptop, and I want to know if anyone has ever done this with airbrushing? Enamel? Etc... And what Materials are needed? I paint shoes and bags, butI have never done a really smooth surface. If you've done it, please link pics :) Thanks!
JawesomeArt
Gerbil

Re: Paint for plastic and metal? (Laptop)

Postposted on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:59 pm

In times past I've seen some nice customizations done with automotive paint, preferably with an epoxy clear coat. A high quality clear coat is the most critical element as the paint will otherwise wear off quickly.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:50 pm

1. go to walmart
2. buy some Krylon
3. ???
4. Profit

I couldn't find an example online about someone using krylong on a laptop, so this will have to do: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_139/565579_.html
Last edited by chµck on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like Windows 8.
Seriously.
chµck
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:56 pm

I was gonna say Krylon too!

They have bajillions of colors and textures. After that, you could leave it outside and it'll last longer in the elements than your patio furniture!
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:18 pm

If you want a really good finished, go get a can of primer first. Specifically paint designed for plastics. I use Krylon Fusion For Plastic in flast white, grey, or black for doing plastic and fiberglass priming for model aircraft parts. Though it is claimed "no sanding necessary", be prepared to put a good amount of elbow grease into it. I don't go as crazy as some. I generally only go to about 600 grit as a final sanding.

Once you've primed the parts, automotive paint will give you the best finish. Rattle can spray paint work great if you are doing a single solid color, but the paint particles are much larger coming out of a spray can. Multiple colors with masked areas can give a pretty noticable seam. Most automotive shops can mix up and pre-thin paint for use in a Preval Spray Gun. As others have implicitly pointed out, it can be quite expensive. My worst so far is $45 for a pint of paint, but I was trying to color match a metallic red. You won't be able to do air brush type work with a Preval sprayer though. You are still looking at masks and stencils.

One final thing to remember. When mixing paint types, do a test piece first and be patient. Allow the first layer to cure completely (perhaps days) before overlaying a layer from a different paint manufacturer. It will help you avoid orange peel and other problems.

--SS
*edit -- adding pictures*

The red on the cowl was color matched by Sherwin-Williams Automotive and sprayed with a Preval sprayer.

Here is what can happen when you get impatient with different paints.
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Return to Mobile Tech