Moto G

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Moto G

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:08 pm

The G so far has been great.

Size wise it's a touch wide but not problematically so, feels good in the hand.
Tad slippery with the hard plastic back. Plain Jane styling won't stand out in the crowd, for sure.
Processor is quad core with lower speed.
Think it's speedy and have not experienced any lag. Apparently it's fast enough for what I do. Haven't done any games yet so can't comment on that.
Only connects via 3G, won't win any speed tests utilizing a browser.
Can't tell with my web browsing [?], seems more than fast enough.
Went right from Froyo to KitKat so can't really comment on JB or others.
Liked Froyo and find KitKat fine.
Don't understand all the hoopla, unless all the excitement is under the hood.
In general:
Think Motorola/Google has hit a home run.
Last edited by oldDummy on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldDummy
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Re: Moto G

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:49 pm

if you got the nexus 4 when it was fire sale you would have hit a home run.
shank15217
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:47 pm

shank15217 wrote:if you got the nexus 4 when it was fire sale you would have hit a home run.

How much?
oldDummy
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:08 pm

I got a Nexus 5 on release day, but man, I'd have been tempted if the Moto G was out then. I'm seriously hoping Google has a smaller Nexus next year, made by Motorola. I like the N5, but it's really not my preferred form factor.
Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:13 pm

It was only $100 off, so $200/$250 (US Google Play prices) for 8GB/16GB iirc. If you got the Moto G for ~$150 or less it's a fair tradeoff in price/performance unless your main use is gaming, and you get superior battery life (although review sites no longer update release tests, so the Nexus 4 may get better battery life now after so many software optimizations.)

Ethyriel wrote:I got a Nexus 5 on release day, but man, I'd have been tempted if the Moto G was out then. I'm seriously hoping Google has a smaller Nexus next year, made by Motorola. I like the N5, but it's really not my preferred form factor.

What I'd like to see is Moto to make phones with very light Android customizations but quick and long-term updates but WITH SD slots. Google can keep the Nexus line 'pure' but let the Moto division make phones that meet other needs.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:29 pm

I don't care about the SD slot, but I would like a removable battery. This is the first phone I've had without one, and every other smart phone I've owned has needed a replacement at some point. I guess if an SD slot comes along for the ride, I wouldn't mind and might even use it.

I want a Moto Nexus more because I want a Moto X class phone (or what it will be in a year) for Nexus prices.
Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:46 am

Ethyriel wrote:I don't care about the SD slot, but I would like a removable battery. This is the first phone I've had without one, and every other smart phone I've owned has needed a replacement at some point. I guess if an SD slot comes along for the ride, I wouldn't mind and might even use it.

I want a Moto Nexus more because I want a Moto X class phone (or what it will be in a year) for Nexus prices.

The only complaint I have ... so far with my Sony Experia Z Ultra phone/tablet is the lack of a replaceable, really, battery. The SD card is easily got at and I can see swapping out 64G cards for video use.

I love this monster phone. A very fast computer and not a bad phone. The ability to NFC to my Sony a7R, I will soon have, and both control it and suck pictures off of, both to my phone and any network is kinda sweet. The insane little Sony 6.44" HD TV I have in my pocket brings gasps all over the place. I do have a 3.2G BBC HD Galapagos vid loaded to elicit this behavior.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:53 am

Had a Nexus 5; thought it was a great phone, just a bit to large.
S4 mini is a nice size, if battery issues simmer down I could get over all the bloatware.
Was considering the X until I saw the tethered baggage necessary unless one opts for a 600 USD "developers" edition.
Don't consider myself a power user, but even if I was the G could be my driver for a least a moderate timespan.
Just charged it overnight; Expect it to last all day, maybe a second day if necessary.
I'm not used to that and yes, I like it.
According to reports it seems like high end SD 800's have to throttle with heavy usage.
So considering battery/ram/processor tradeoff's G settles into a sweet spot.
Display is fine.
I know it's not best of the best but I can't really tell with my eyes.
Take into account price and it's a no-brainer, for me anyway.

EDIT: Any browsing is done utilizing Wi-Fi so 3G doesn't matter.
oldDummy
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Re: Moto G--->X

Postposted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:09 pm

With the price cuts have just ordered the Moto X no contract.

Battery life
The Moto G’s run time is acceptably long, but it's not what I’d call marathon-worthy longevity.
In anecdotal tests, the phone managed to play an HD video file for 7 hours and 52 minutes before expiring.
The Moto X, on the other hand, stuck to its guns for over 10 hours playing the same video.

hmmm...tasty
oldDummy
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Return to Mobile Tech