Stylus tip losing effectiveness

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Stylus tip losing effectiveness

Postposted on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:49 pm

I have a pen where the cap is a rubbery stylus intended for a capacitive touchscreen use, such as that for iPad.

I've had it for about 14 months now and the rubbery tip has almost lost all effectiveness. It's like a $20 or $30 pen with a nice smooth pewter finish and the tip in the cap. It's my favorite stylus, a decent pen for signing things, and other than said tip, it still has good life expectancy yet. My iPad has had a Zagg shield on it ever since it was new, and continues to respond just fine with other styli and my fingers, so I'm pretty sure it's just this one unit.

Is there something I can do to bring this stylus back to life?
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Re: Stylus tip losing effectiveness

Postposted on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:39 pm

My first thought would be to try finding a cheap stylus of roughly equal dimensions, then remove the capacitive stylus end, and try to fasten it on your pen. Of course, that may not even be feasible depending on the design of your pen.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Stylus tip losing effectiveness

Postposted on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Many pens have replaceable tips for this exact situation: have you looked to see if your model has spare tips for sale?

Another DIY-ier option is to coat the stylus head with conductive glue, but this may chance the texture/smoothness of the tip, and will probably also eventually wear off if used for writing and signing.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to Mobile Tech