HP DM1 vs. Minecraft

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

HP DM1 vs. Minecraft

Postposted on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:15 pm

Have an HP DM1 (E350/HD6310) that we have been using as a general browsing box for a while.

The problem is that my daughter likes to play Minecraft on it and is getting laggy play on it, plus it is glacial to start. Subjectively I think that it is making about 20-25fps or there abouts. Running Kaspersky so I doubt it's any kind of malware.

Have been recommended to install linux on it in place of Windows 7 by a friend to has a kid playing minecraft on a laptop with the same chipset.

My first thought was to go for an SSD but I placed the program on the Ramdisk (I upgraded the ram to 8GB when I bought it) which did not seem to make a difference.

Have watched AMD system monitor while running Minecraft in a window and it seems that the GPU is hardly stretched, while the CPU sits at 90%+ but does not max out. The CPU tends to run to about 50% just copying files to a USB drive though. There may be a little network lag due to play over wireless but a LAN cable does not seem to make that much difference.

I Want to improve the Minecraft user experience, what do you think of my options?
1. Switch to Linux, thinking Mint with Cinnamon.
2. SSD possibly with Linux.
3. Replace it with an off lease Dell E6410. (Have an E6420 with linux + SSD works well as a utility PC & for Minecraft)
irvinenomore
Gerbil

Re: HP DM1 vs. Minecraft

Postposted on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:40 pm

I am confident you are limited by the CPU. I got mc set up on a family DM1 and increased the amount of memory available to java. My son ran mc for a few minutes and it appeared to chug along at the same speed. If interested, please refer to this link. I visited control panel > programs > java > the java tab, and added this to the runtime parameters: -Xmx1024M
mc_forum_link
PhilipMcc
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: HP DM1 vs. Minecraft

Postposted on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Like any growing application... they are developing and adding more features.

This in return is devouring more system resources.

The inevitable creep. I have a friend who has had the same thing happen on an old laptop he uses. he stopped updating MC on that machine for that reason.
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Return to Mobile Tech