Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

StaticFX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Windows 8 (8.1) phones... who has one? love it or hate it?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:14 pm

I am getting tired of iPhone... its great and all but I just want something different, not more of the same...
I dont want android because I just feel like you are asking for trouble. Any phone that needs antivirus is a no in my book :)
I have had BB and dont want to go back... so that leaves Win8

sooo.. opinions?

Thanks!

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Windows 8 (8.1) phones... who has one? love it or hate i

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:50 pm

I believe 8.1 is only in the hands of developers at this point and won't be rolling out to end-user for a little bit longer (at the whim of the carriers, no doubt).

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Well, I can't speak exactly to your question, but I have a Windows Phone 7 and it's worked so solid for me I haven't felt the need to upgrade.

But their newest update (8.1) seems pretty massive. http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+Phone+81++Microsofts+Impressive+Update+in+Pictures/article34644.htm
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:52 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
I believe 8.1 is only in the hands of developers at this point and won't be rolling out to end-user for a little bit longer (at the whim of the carriers, no doubt).

Should be out next month I've heard.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Looks like you can get WP 8.1 immediately if you sign up as a dev for free:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/14/56123 ... d-features

The warranty stuff seems kind of bogus, considering the phone is getting official from MS software.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:31 pm

I have a Windows Phone 8 device (Nokia Lumia 928) and am really happy with it. Before you decide to move to Windows Phone, I'd recommend that you check out the Marketplace and make sure they have all the apps you want/need. This wasn't a huge deal for me, as I don't use many apps, but I know it is for others.

My major issues with my phone are the limited number of tabs in IE (only 6, and I'm not sure why) and not being able to toggle the vibrate function from the top menu bar (I can adjust if it rings or not, but not vibrate).

The OS is far smoother than Android has ever been for me (on any Android device I've used), the camera is fantastic, and I happen to really like the UX.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Got the 8.1 on my Lumia 920 yesterday and I LOVE IT. Can't recommend it highly enough. We've been WP users at work since the very beginning and recently my wife and my nephew converted from iOS to WP8, both very happy.

replay
Gerbil

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:40 pm

I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 with Windows Phone 8.0 (waiting for general distribution of 8.1), and I love it. If you enjoy your Windows ecosystem like I do (Windows 8.1 on the desktops, Micorsoft Surface RT, Dell Venue Pro 8, Windows Phone, Xbox 360, Xbox One), you'll love integration across all the operating systems. And, it's only getting better. As for WP 8.0 itself. It's fast and fluid. With 8.1, it will pretty much match iOS and Droid on features. WP does not have the app coverage as the two more mature OSes, but it does have the majority of what general people use (Twitter, Skype, Facebook, Linked In, Snapchat, offline maps, photo editors, etc.).

hieu.noob
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Just updated my Nokia 920 to 8.1, and in one update, the platform got a lot of polish and has finally moved toward feature parity of its iOS and Android rivals.

I was talking to a friend about it today, and said this to him when he was pondering a move to WP:

If you require the might of the perspective app stores, it's not for you. If you need a fluid device with lots of integrated services, it's nice.

If you're making a jump from iOS, it's going to be a similar experience since both Apple and Microsoft took the walled-in garden approach to their phones. I'm no phone power user, so I comment for that crowd, but for social networks, browsing, email, navigating, photographing, texting, and [what???] calling, it's a great phone.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:11 am

StaticFX wrote:
I am getting tired of iPhone... its great and all but I just want something different, not more of the same...
I dont want android because I just feel like you are asking for trouble. Any phone that needs antivirus is a no in my book :)
I have had BB and dont want to go back... so that leaves Win8

sooo.. opinions?

Thanks!

I can understand not wanting the old legacy BBOS devices, but have you had the chance to use a new BB10 device? the QNX based OS with an added android runtime is about as good as it get's
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Jon1984
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:16 am

Owner of a Lumia 920. Best phone I ever had. I've tried IOS and Android, and my favorite is Windows Phone no doubt. At the time I've purchased it the market wasn't very competitive in apps, but now you can find almost whatever you need from it. Stable, fast, pretty. Nokia continues to build the best quality phones period.
i5 3570K - Nepton 280L - P8Z77-V - 4x4Gb - 290X Gaming 4Gb - 2x F90 - Spinpoint F3 1Tb - S340 - CS750M
MX239H AH-IPS - Ryos MK - Kone Pure Military - HyperX Cloud - Win 10
Xiaomi Mi A2

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:28 am

I'd get a WP device today if Google/MS would promise me Hangouts on my phone before the end of 2014. Until that happens, or my friends and family find another communication system, I'll likely be on Android.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:31 am

StaticFX wrote:
Sorry, but that's a pretty ignorant statement to make. To say that Android is the only mobile OS that is susceptible to malicious activities is naive at best, and FUD at worst.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:14 am

Been a WP user since WP7 was released and am now on WP8 w/ Update 3. I used an iPhone prior to WP and never looked back after I made the change. WP8.1 is looking amazing and finally bringing some of the things the platform has needed.

lonleyppl wrote:
My major issues with my phone are the limited number of tabs in IE (only 6, and I'm not sure why)

WP8.1 changes this to unlimited tabs...finally.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

MustSeeMelons
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:32 am

I'm considering a move to WP. As I mainly use just a few news-reader apps, I believe I could easily make the switch. I'm tired of Android and don't like iOS (had an 2nd gen iPod and everything still looks very similar). Looking around the available phones, WP is the only one that catches my eye :)

rxc6
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:32 pm

I have had a Windows Phone for over a year. First a 920 and now a 1520. I really enjoy the new update. It still has some glitches, but once Nokia releases Cyan, I am pretty sure it will be as stable as it was. I am not an apps person, so take that in consideration.

[+Duracell-]
Gerbil

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Been with Windows Phone since the WP7 days. Went from HTC Arrive -> Lumia 928 -> Lumia Icon. Installed 8.1 dev preview on the Icon and it's great! A few issues, but nothing showstopping for me.

You should look at what apps you are using and see if there's a first- or third-party presence on the platform. Most of the major social platforms are represented in some fashion, and some, like 6snap for Snapchat and 6tag for Instagram, are better than even the first-party apps on iOS or Android. Whatsapp has feature parity (from what I can tell) with the other platforms. FB and Twitter work pretty well, too.

A lot of these apps will probably integrate into the messaging or people hub as Microsoft opened them up to third-party developers. One-stop show for your social needs!

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:05 pm

I AM THE KING OF WINDOWS. THAT INCLUDES THE PHONES. as others have said, if you're an app addict, they're not for you. for example, only the royal bank has an official app for windows phone in canada. the rest force you to their site (though Scotiabank has one for chile, but not canada where they're based? wtf?). that can be a pain, but the app store is growing, most of the major apps are their. it's fast, sexy, and WAY more secure than android. security through obscurity is some of it. either way, seriously look at it. if you want a high end camera there is no competition. if you're looking for integration with other devices, nobody does it better. it's a great OS. Cortana is currently USA only (unless you change your phone region to USA, which is easy) it'll work now if you have the preview, which you can sign up for a dev account for free for. The only caveat is that htc dropped the ball on some files and they're not included yet on their devices internationally. So it's cortana on everyone but HTC phones internationally right now with region change, and all phones in the usa that download the 8.1 preview.

I wouldn't use android or iOS. windows phone spoiled me.

Beelzebubba9
Gerbil

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:22 pm

StaticFX wrote:
words

Android is generally more secure than any desktop OS, so I have a hard time buying that argument.

That said, a good friend of mine just replaced his Nexus 4 with a Nokia 925 and he generally really likes it. Really his only complaint (coming from Android) is that Microsoft/Nokia's map data is far behind Google's, so if that's a huge factor for you, beware.

I figure it mostly comes down to ecosystem. If you're balls deep into MS's, then WP8.1 seems like the best choice. If you're a Mac user, the Microsoft ecosystem really won't do you much good. And if you use all ecosystems, Google's is a good alternative since it's so cross platform.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:45 pm

map data in north America. the rest of the world the situation is reversed. android has like 90% of the mobile risks. stuff like this isn't that uncommon. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/best-sel ... d=23238866
I wouldn't trust my secure data with it, and i'm not a security expert, but i'm wondering why you say it's more secure than a desktop OS, such as windows 8 or OSX? i'm not an expert and am genuinely interested!

google isn't cross platform, and is becoming less and less. they offer no windows 8 or windows phone apps, they're losing any support from apple. soon google will be android and chrome only. look at the high dpi settings in chrome on windows! it works fine, has forever! you just have to turn it on, and they default it to off so it looks worse on windows vs the other platforms where it's on.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:07 pm

I'm currently running WP8.0 on an HTC 8X and love it. I've got an Android tablet and an Android work phone, and I strongly prefer the Windows Phone interface. The only gripes I have are fairly minor:

• No animated GIF support through text messages
  • Can't see other recipients in group texts
  • Some IE10 quirks
  • No Bluetooth keyboard compatibility
  • Lack of a File Explorer

I know the File Explorer feature isn't coming in 8.1, but the other stuff may very well have gotten fixed (I've yet to see any of it mentioned in a review, so I'm not sure). I'm eagerly anticipating the official 8.1 release.

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:45 pm

lonleyppl wrote:
not being able to toggle the vibrate function from the top menu bar (I can adjust if it rings or not, but not vibrate).

You can however, disable the vibrate feature in the settings menu.

Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:49 pm

I recently got a Nokia Lumia 925 on sale and, so far, I love it. I had a Nokia Lumia 521 before that which was also good, but was prone to occassional performance hiccups (what is to be expected from a $60-$70 phone). The 925 is very smooth and responsive, I've not seen any hiccups since I got it. I can easily get 2 days out of the battery with my usage (which is roughly 6-7 hours of Pandora streaming daily with the screen off and intermittent email checking and web browsing). My biggest complaint is the lack of alternative web browsers. I don't really like the way IE10 mobile handles tabbing, much prefer Safari or Opera Mobile. Otherwise, its the best $200 I ever spent. Gets great reception with T-Mobile's 4G LTE too.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, the Nokia exclusive apps are absolutely awesome (and a very good argument for why you should be buying a Lumia if you want a WP8 phone, to say nothing of the build quality). Great alternatives to the Google services. HERE Maps and HERE Drive offer at least equivalent accuracy to Google Maps in addition to offline map support, which puts it on another level.
Under Construction Forever~~~

deb0
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm

I've owned iphones and Androids, never a Windows phone. While I can't say I've used a windows phone extensively, I prefer the openess and configurability of Android phones. And I find the Google ecosystem to be the best of the three. Microsoft (to me), is always copying the ideas of it's competition, never showing leadership. Yes, their phones look better than their older versions, but they lack in app support and an ecosystem like Google and Apple.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:49 pm

What do you mean by in app support?
What defines an ecosystem? Apple surely has the most and best apps, as well as the most hardware support, so how can androids ecosystem be better? Quality of android suffers as well, which is why it has the lowest recommendation rate among the three os'. Go for it if you like, but i would love to hear what aspects of android you love.
As for copying ideas, microsoft has quite a few firsts. First with many voice commands, live tiles, wireless sync, etc. They are hardly the laggards. Some of those haven't been crazy popular but many of them have been copied, as apple is doing with the rumored integration of shazam into the OS (ms has had for a year).

LASR
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:19 pm

I am a loyal supporter of Windows Phone. I had one of the very first models - the Samsung Focus running Windows Phone 7. Then they managed to shaft the early adopters by making WP 8.0 incompatible with the 7 hardware. All they needed to forgo was secure boot. So the decision was either shaft customers or forgo secure boot on 7 hardware. They decided to shaft customers instead.

Undeterred, my subsequent phone was a Lumia 920. Nokia makes amazing hardware, no doubt. But WP8.0 was clearly worse than WP7.X. They **** up the beautifully done Zune Pass. Integration into my Sync enabled Ford Focus was terrible - even though it worked very well in 7.0.

Still the #1 concern for WP users is the lack first class apps. I know first hand why developers don't want to touch WP. Apart from being a loyal WP user, I am also a developer. 7.x had a neatly done app framework. Silverlight for apps. XNA or D3D for games. Then they swapped out the kernel from desktop Windows in 8.0. This brought in its own set of problems. The CLR was swapped out too. A lot of developers had to go in and remake their apps specifically for 8.0 to ensure version compatibility. And now for 8.1, MS is bringing out the WinRT based app framework - the same one as Metro on big Windows. But there is a catch - the APIs we've been using on 7.X and 8.0 are incompatible with the Windows 8 APIs. So if you were thinking to easily port your Windows 8.0 app to Windows Phone 8.0 - you just can't.

I very recently finally decided to throw in the towel. I went out and got a Galaxy S5 just a couple days ago. What a world of difference! I can finally get search results from Google with styling that isn't from 2005. I can play YouTube videos too! Both of these are not Microsoft's fault, but still the bottom line is that I now have a much better experience. The apps really seem like first class citizens on the Android platform and not like the hand-me-down UX on WP.

So yeah. My feelings of WP have been very mixed. 8.1 is supposed to address some of my issues. But it is a little too late, I am afraid.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:43 pm

The Egg wrote:

Yes you can. Simply tap on the "# recipients" at the top and it will show the entire list.

deb0 wrote:
they lack in app support

Not sure what you mean. If you're talking in app purchases, you most definitely can do this.

LASR wrote:
A lot of developers had to go in and remake their apps specifically for 8.0 to ensure version compatibility. And now for 8.1, MS is bringing out the WinRT based app framework - the same one as Metro on big Windows. But there is a catch - the APIs we've been using on 7.X and 8.0 are incompatible with the Windows 8 APIs. So if you were thinking to easily port your Windows 8.0 app to Windows Phone 8.0 - you just can't.

This is so wrong it's not even funny. The majority of WP7.x apps worked on 8.0. The ones that didn't were where developers either didn't code correctly or tried to do some wonky workaround that probably wasn't even required. Silverlight apps aren't going away right now, even with 8.1. Silverlight apps were mentioned several times during the Build keynote a couple of weeks ago, where they announced WP8.1. They also demoed on stage how to take a Windows 8.x app and reuse 80-90% of the codebase to publish on WP8.1. The obvious differences were different images to support the smaller screen sizes. They even demoed taking the same app and reusing that 80-80% of the app codebase to turn it into a universal app that works on Windows 8.x, WP8.1, and Xbox One.

Developers weren't required to remake their apps specifically for WP8.0. Many did because WP8.0 opened up a ton more APIs. 8.1 takes this even further.

While you can't take a Windows 8.x app and easily port it to WP8.0, you can port it to WP8.1...which will be a free upgrade to all existing WP8.0 devices.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:10 am

Three weeks ago, I purchased my first ever cell phone, a Nokia Lumia 520 and I think it is excellent. I really only want a mobile phone for genuine emergencies and to maybe send out the odd text message but some of the other features of the phone such as the calendar, OneNote and such are proving to be very convenient to me. I also like the Nokia music service and must say that the free version is very good. In terms of apps, I find there is more available on Android than Windows Phone (I also have an Android tablet) but I've been very pleased with the Windows Phone platform and find it very easy to use and understand. I have also surfed the Internet a little bit using Wi-Fi at home. And so far, no crashes or lock-ups. Bear in mind that I am a light user and intend to keep things that way but everything is as good as I'd hoped it would be.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:57 am

curtisb wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Yes you can. Simply tap on the "# recipients" at the top and it will show the entire list.

I must be missing something. The only time I see "# Recipients" is when the group message was sent from me. When someone else sends out a group text, it comes through as just another message in the conversation thread, and I have no way of knowing that it was sent to anyone else. I did a test from my work phone (which doesn't have an existing conversation thread), and that also gave no indication that the message was a group text. I'm using WP8.0 by the way, not 8.1

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:30 am

The Egg wrote:
curtisb wrote:
The Egg wrote:

I must be missing something. The only time I see "# Recipients" is when the group message was sent from me. When someone else sends out a group text, it comes through as just another message in the conversation thread, and I have no way of knowing that it was sent to anyone else. I did a test from my work phone (which doesn't have an existing conversation thread), and that also gave no indication that the message was a group text. I'm using WP8.0 by the way, not 8.1

I'm still on 8.0 for now*. Sometimes this depends on your carrier...unfortunately. I can see them on my Lumia 920 regardless of who initiated the group text. When you go into Messaging, tap on the ellipses at the bottom and tap settings. Make sure you have "Group text" on (for some reason I don't think it is by default).

Some carriers do weird things with SMS/MMS. For instance, I'm on AT&T but my sister is on Verizon. If she sends me a multipart message (greater than 160 characters), it comes in as separate messages, which are most times out of order (yeah, that's fun to figure out). But if someone from AT&T sends me a multipart it appears as a single message (read: it's put together in a single instance). I'm not sure if she receives my multipart message as multiple/split messages on her Verizon iPhone.

* I started the steps to install the WP8.1 Developer Preview last night but haven't completed them yet.