Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

[+Duracell-]
Gerbil

Re: Windows 8 (8.1) phones... who has one? love it or hate i

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:29 am

EsotericLord wrote:
lonleyppl wrote:
not being able to toggle the vibrate function from the top menu bar (I can adjust if it rings or not, but not vibrate).

You can however, disable the vibrate feature in the settings menu.

In 8.1, the vibrate toggle is also on the volume menu after you expand it.

LASR
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:47 am

LASR wrote:
A lot of developers had to go in and remake their apps specifically for 8.0 to ensure version compatibility. And now for 8.1, MS is bringing out the WinRT based app framework - the same one as Metro on big Windows. But there is a catch - the APIs we've been using on 7.X and 8.0 are incompatible with the Windows 8 APIs. So if you were thinking to easily port your Windows 8.0 app to Windows Phone 8.0 - you just can't.

curtisb wrote:
This is so wrong it's not even funny. The majority of WP7.x apps worked on 8.0.

Nope. That was not the case at all. Microsoft had an entire team in WP dedicated to application compatibility. They tested the top 1000 and top 5000 apps for 7.0 against builds for 8.0. The majority of apps at first failed to perform correctly in 8.0 builds. The publishers for these apps were contacted before launch to request for updates or changes on their end. Transplanting the Windows8 kernel into WP8 also had other issues besides simple functionality. The performance was very different. If you had an app that did a lot of initialization at cold start, you were screwed because of CoreCLR taking the place of the NetCLR that existed in 7.x. The desktop CLR meant that it would JIT .net IL by the module rather than by the class or method. So you had several high profile apps taking longer than 10 seconds at startup - which triggered the watchdog timer and terminated it completely - giving the user the appearance of a crash on start up.

Now you can debate whether these issues are the fault of the developer or of the platform. But the fact remains, apps that worked on 7.x didn't always work just as well on 8.0.

As for Silverlight going away - look at XNA. They aren't going away. They are just not going be to as supported as before.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:22 pm

apps worked and i never noticed a difference. whether devs did more work, idk. but all that matters to me was that they worked, and they did. they will continue to do so in the immediate future.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:39 pm

[+Duracell-] wrote:
EsotericLord wrote:
lonleyppl wrote:
not being able to toggle the vibrate function from the top menu bar (I can adjust if it rings or not, but not vibrate).

You can however, disable the vibrate feature in the settings menu.

In 8.1, the vibrate toggle is also on the volume menu after you expand it.

This and unlimited IE tabs are probably what I'm most excited about for 8.1.

I haven't really decided if I'm going to use the developer preview or not yet, but I think I'll hold off for now. If it's not out by August, I'll upgrade.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:34 pm

curtisb wrote:
For instance, I'm on AT&T but my sister is on Verizon. If she sends me a multipart message (greater than 160 characters), it comes in as separate messages, which are most times out of order (yeah, that's fun to figure out).

Installed the 8.1 Dev Preview. It fixed this "problem"!
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590