Samsung Galaxy S 5

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Re: Samsung Galaxy S 5

Postposted on Tue May 20, 2014 10:43 am

I'm entering the discussion a bit late.

I had the Galaxy s2, the s4, and now that I'm on T-Mobile's "Jump" plan, I upgraded to the s5 for merely paying the sales tax. I really like Samsung phones.

But yeah, I'm sick of the bloatware that is a bit sticky. I'd like more options for customization. I'd like to be able to ad-block. And I wonder if Google All Access and Swype would hang up less if I didn't have TouchWiz on there.

It looks like installing Cyanogen requires/means rooting it. And this voids my insurance, right? But if I physically break my phone, how would they know? And if I don't physically break my phone, could I flash to stock s5 before taking it in for an exchange?
Milo Burke
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 20, 2014 10:48 am

Samsung phones (and maybe other manufacturers, too, I don't really know) have a counter that displays a non-0 value once you flash some non-stock software.

If you want to return to stock, you can get around that, of course - anything can be hacked. Triangle Away in the Play store is what you'd want. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... iangleaway
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 20, 2014 10:56 am

So, say my power button begins to go faulty as happened with my s2, and I bring it into the store. The employee takes a look at it and sees the triangle and says to me, "Sorry, you rooted this phone. I can't help you and you voided your insurance."

But if I have the Triangle Away app installed, then he wouldn't know?

It has lots of warnings and doesn't say it is compatible for the s5 yet. Hmm...

But it is possible to wipe the phone completely back to stock T-Mobile/Samsung Android and not a fresh install of Cyanogen? In which case the store employee wouldn't know?
Milo Burke
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 20, 2014 10:59 am

Triangle Away is meant to be used immediately prior to flashing back to stock. So if the power button dies, plug it into your PC (so the screen wakes up), run Triangle Away, and then fire up Odin and flash the stock image back.

I used it when I had a T-Mobile S3 and it really does work. My Verizon S4 that I got in late August didn't come with the exploitable shipping-version of the firmware, so I haven't flashed a ROM in a long-ass time.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Milo Burke wrote:So, say my power button begins to go faulty as happened with my s2, and I bring it into the store. The employee takes a look at it and sees the triangle and says to me, "Sorry, you rooted this phone. I can't help you and you voided your insurance."

But if I have the Triangle Away app installed, then he wouldn't know?

It has lots of warnings and doesn't say it is compatible for the s5 yet. Hmm...

But it is possible to wipe the phone completely back to stock T-Mobile/Samsung Android and not a fresh install of Cyanogen? In which case the store employee wouldn't know?

I put my S2 back to stock by flashing the stock ROM. Just like new, then I traded it in for a Sony. I found one the same as my stock one, it was a bit of a search.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:47 am

What is the latest version of the system, there ART model?
Everyone has a favorite type of holdem poker. Finding yours may be as simple as reading through the different poker guides and finding a style that speaks to you, or it may take years of playing before you settle on a favorite.
singhgzvj
Gerbil In Training

Previous

Return to Mobile Tech