Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Call Transfering... Cell Phones?

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:36 pm

This eats me alive. Either I'm missing something here or the rest of the mobile world is just plain ignorant to technology. Why the hell in 2014 can I not use my phone to simply TRANSFER a call?

Currently on AT&T cell plan, attempting to have someone answer a call on one cell phone, talk to the person, then transfer (blindly or attended, whichever), over to me on my cell phone. I'm not talking about 3 way call, the person who initiates a 3 way call can't hang up or all parties get dropped, so that's not an option. It just blows my mind that this isn't an option from what I can tell unless you buy a PBX like phone system (virtual or otherwise) and then the call is held via an internet connection, so quality issues are a possibility when running over AT&T cell towers.

Is there a way to simply transfer a call. You'd think their would be an app that used a call server to facilitate the transfer with some back-end magic. I realize this may very well be a limitation of the ancient standards that are phones that our cell providers keep selling us everyday. Any suggestions. Cheap, simple, reliable?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Call Transfering... Cell Phones?

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Nope. Wasn't included in the feature list when the specs were laid down, so a lot of the needed infrastructure just plain isn't there.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:13 pm

So I'm not sure exactly how this would work, but I would mess around with Google Voice and Google hangouts on the phones themselves. I know you can transfer a call between phones on the same GV account by pressing * during a call. I also know you can have multiple people on a hangout and the hangout app on iOS can make and receive phone calls from a GV number. I know that's not exactly a "How to" but it's a start and what I would try to begin with if I was trying to do what you're describing. You could add something like an Obitalk to the equation for even more flexibility. Good luck!
i7-8086K | Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI | 32GB DDR4-2400 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 512GB 960 Pro | 27" Dell 2560x1440 Gsync | Fractal R6 | Seasonic Focus Plus 850W | Win10 Pro x64.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:45 am

There are software PBX solutions which allow you to do easy call transfers using mobile apps on smartphone, but they aren't exactly cheap and probably not something you're looking for... Other than that - try out some free VoIP apps, maybe you'll find something that works similarly...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:59 am

Land lines never had that functionality...

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:14 am

I didn't know about pressing star during a GV call. I make all my calls via GV already, I'll have to try that out.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:26 am

JohnC wrote:
There are software PBX solutions which allow you to do easy call transfers using mobile apps on smartphone, but they aren't exactly cheap and probably not something you're looking for...

You can actually set up your own VOIP PBX using 100% Open Source software if you've got a static IP to host it on. I've never done it myself, but I know someone who did. I do agree it is almost certainly not something the OP would want to do though, I looked into it (briefly), and it looked pretty daunting.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

homerdog
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:32 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Actually yes they do. "3 way calling with transfer" has been offered for many years. It can be initiated by hookflashing if the feature is enabled by your telco. I have some customers that use this all the time since transferring a call to another outside line takes 2 lines on a PBX.
Antec 300Two + i7-3770K + Gigabyte Z77-D3H + 16GB 1866MHz + GTX970 + SeaSonic S12II 520W + 180GB Intel 330 + 240GB Intel 530
CM Elite 120 + i5-3550 + Gigabyte H77N-WIFI + 16GB 1600MHz + HD7950 + SilverStone ST45SF 450W + 250GB Crucial MX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:35 am

homerdog wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Actually yes they do. "3 way calling with transfer" has been offered for many years. It can be initiated by hookflashing if the feature is enabled by your telco. I have some customers that use this all the time since transferring a call to another outside line takes 2 lines on a PBX.

Heh. I should've remembered that. I used to work in the telco industry (but it has been a very long time). :oops:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:20 pm

homerdog wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Yep. I still have a wired phone I got free from USWest (before it was QWest, before it was CenturyLink, so it's almost 20 years old now) with dedicated buttons for a bunch of the star-features (last call return, etc) and one of them is for 3-way calling.... and most of the few times I used it, I used it precisely this way.

homerdog
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:29 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
homerdog wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Yep. I still have a wired phone I got free from USWest (before it was QWest, before it was CenturyLink, so it's almost 20 years old now) with dedicated buttons for a bunch of the star-features (last call return, etc) and one of them is for 3-way calling.... and most of the few times I used it, I used it precisely this way.

It's not actually a service code since you do it mid-call. Just hook flash and you get dial tone to add the next call. Most phones have dedicated flash (recall) buttons.

Also there's a difference between 3 way calling and 3 way calling with transfer. Without transfer all callers get disconnected if you hang up. I am a PBX installer otherwise I promise I wouldn't know such esoteric things :)
Antec 300Two + i7-3770K + Gigabyte Z77-D3H + 16GB 1866MHz + GTX970 + SeaSonic S12II 520W + 180GB Intel 330 + 240GB Intel 530
CM Elite 120 + i5-3550 + Gigabyte H77N-WIFI + 16GB 1600MHz + HD7950 + SilverStone ST45SF 450W + 250GB Crucial MX100

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:48 am

homerdog wrote:
It's not actually a service code since you do it mid-call. Just hook flash and you get dial tone to add the next call. Most phones have dedicated flash (recall) buttons.
I'm sure you're right. All I know is that phone has been on my wall for a couple of decades, and it has dedicated buttons for various functions like last call return (which I still remember as *69) and various other things US West included in my "deluxe" landline package back in the day... and one of those buttons was "3 Way Calling." But I haven't pressed any of them in years. (I haven't even used the phone -- there is a wireless one right next to it; it remains due to inertia and the fact that it has a nicely visible flashing light that indicates if it has rung since the last time its caller ID was cleared).

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:17 pm

homerdog wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Learned something new. Cool. I stand corrected.
UberGerbil wrote:
I haven't even used the phone -- there is a wireless one right next to it; it remains due to inertia...
They are useful during a power outage.